Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #1
Retired Bum

Can you drive screws into the walls?

Hello, just joined the forum and this is my first post. I just got a new Rockwood Geo Pro 19FD and the new items provided include a towel rod for bathroom with brackets and screws. My question is, has anyone attached one of these to the wall in the bathroom? The back wall of the bathroom is an outside wall and appears to be solid, but not sure I should insert any screws in it for fear of hitting wiring. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
bhbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #2

I did in mine back in 2012. Pre drilled a starter hole first then hung the bracket. Did not give the screw that little more turn when it stopped. Everything is still hanging after driving on all these glass smooth roads we have for 94000 miles![emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
Old 08-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #3

Did it in mine but not an outside wall. Didn't predrill and wood screws are holding nicely.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
Retired Bum

did you screw into studs?
Old 08-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #5

Possibly. This was the rack provided by FR with our Roo. The wall is common to the rear bed area. Never went through. Holding strongly in the years of use.
Only error I made was using a level when the camper was NOT level. Suggest using tape measure for equal distance reference.[emoji21]
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
Retired Bum

thanks. good tip on not using a level!
Old 08-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #7

Use coarse thread sheet metal screws no longer than 1 inch. They hold better in thin wood.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #8

I bought a new 2020 qbq park model trailer my wife just bought a toilet paper roll stand that sits on the floor . She didnt want to hang the roll . Good thing is it is movable when you sit on the throne.
Madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
CGK
Camping with Labs

Congratulations on the new Geo Pro - and may you have many years of enjoyment from it. As others have said, you can drill into outside walls, but caution is advised. As far as I know, there is no standardized wall thickness; so you'll want to be sure you don't accidentally drill or drive screws through the outside walls. A pilot hole is a good idea, and you can use a collar on your drill bit to ensure you don't drill much past the thin inner walls of the RV. Then you can use a long, thin nail - placed through that pilot hole - to determine the thickness of the walls, whether anything is behind the walls (although in my experience most electrical lines seem to be run through the ceiling or the floor, with minimum usage of the walls for that purpose), and if there is a stud behind it, etc. If the idea is to hit a stud, then you'll have to use a stud finder; and I have had mixed success getting consistent readings from even the better stud finders on the market. I always double check by tapping the wall to listen for the studs.....and if the finder and the tap agrees, then I mark it, drill a pilot hole, and use the nail to feel for the stud. I like to use the blunt end of a finishing nail through the pilot hole to be sure I don't poke something I didn't want to find. There are many good products such as E-Z Anchor on the market that can be used to anchor your screws into that thin wall if you need more than minimum support for whatever is being installed. If minimum support is needed, just use the screws directly into the wall and add the anchors later if the installation gets loose after a while. In the interest of marital harmony, I always get my wife's okay before I drill the first hole in the living area. Sometimes she has other ideas as to where things should go, and it's better to know that before adding the holes to your RV. Oh, and don't ask me how I know, but the national parks sell nice vinyl stickers that can be used to cover any unintentional holes that go through the wall during an errant installation (why do you think I use the drill bit collars?). Camping supply dealers also sell fake vents for that purpose. Hopefully you won't require anything like that. And I agree that if the RV isn't level front to back and side-to-side when you do the work, you'll need to adjust for that and eyeball the work to be sure the installation is level on even sites. Have fun, and good luck!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #10

Plastic anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhbeck View Post
Hello, just joined the forum and this is my first post. I just got a new Rockwood Geo Pro 19FD and the new items provided include a towel rod for bathroom with brackets and screws. My question is, has anyone attached one of these to the wall in the bathroom? The back wall of the bathroom is an outside wall and appears to be solid, but not sure I should insert any screws in it for fear of hitting wiring. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Many trailers are built with 2x2 stud walls, so you have 1-1/2 inches behind the inside paneling. As noted, wiring comes up from the bottom or down from the top. Plumbing comes up from the bottom. So as long as you are not making a hole above or below plumbing or wiring, you're not likely to hit anything.

The 3/16" interior paneling is pretty crumbly. For anything with any weight, I prefer the smallest size of expanding plastic anchors--the ones that fit in a 3/16" hole and accept a #6 screw.

That would be the blue ones in this set:
https://www.harborfreight.com/285-pi...set-67527.html

I mounted three towel bars with anchors like these: one on an inside wall and one on either side of a hollow-core interior door.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack522 View Post
Suggest using tape measure for equal distance reference.[emoji21]

If you use a tape measure, be sure to measure from the floor. I made the mistake of measuring from the ceiling, and then later realized that the ceiling was curved, so not the same height in the 2 places I measured from.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #12
Working Hard,Playing Hard

Quote:
I had concerns of hitting electrical wiring, drain lines, water lines etc. and decided the risk was not worth it so I contacted the dealer I purchased my RV from and had them contact Forest River who provided a few schematics showing the wood stuffed aluminum framing, electrical and plumbing in my Freedom Express. Even armed with this information I energized the power to shore and used a stud sensor with electricity warning indicator then removed the shore power and proceeded with caution. No issues but having a new rig and in learning curve mode you do not need to create new issues as anyone owning an RV, Boat or other recreational vehicle knows, you will run across enough issues without creating any of your own. I hope this helps. Welcome Aboard
Dreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #13

I'd double up on the advice to not overtighten the screw as you're likely to be setting it in to block foam insulation that crumbles easily. I find I have a better feel for this if I use a regular screwdriver as opposed to a drill driver. I also take a toothpick and dab a little construction adhesive in the hole before setting the screw.
Camp2Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #14
Retired Bum

Thanks everyone for your insight and advice, some very good info. I can see this site will be a great resource. I did send an email off to Rockwood to see what they have to say. This unit does have the Azdel walls so I’m not sure if that helps or hinders putting screws into it. For right now I may end up just putting a hook over the door to hang a towel on.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #15

I used a furring strip to attach my towel bar. The strip is screwed to the widely spaced interior wall studs. Those "studs" were located with a stud finder and tapping with my knuckle.
I stained the strip to resemble the finish of the interior walls of the bath.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #16

Don't be askeerd. Just use a pilot hole(as noted). I try and use the shortest screw I can(I think 1/2" will work for this). Use common sense(look above and below to see about what is possibly there). Grind screw tip dull if you suspect a puncture inside?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #17

Same ? your Dealer Had

Quote:

I wish I had the answer for you. Just be as careful as you can and good luck!

That is the same question your dealer had and that is why he did not install it.

Darn shame that you buy a nice TT and have to put it together yourself.

Just saying.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #18

Some use a pop rivet gun also
Old 08-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #19

I did
suthunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack522 View Post
Only error I made was using a level when the camper was NOT level. Suggest using tape measure for equal distance reference.[emoji21]
You weren't the first, and certainly not the last, to make that error!
I have two methods for evening things up in my trailer. If the item I'm installing is close enough the the edge of a wall or the ceiling, a carpenter's square does a nice job. If that isn't practical I have an app on my phone that turns it into a pretty decent level, the difference is that I can zero it to an existing surface like the floor whether it's "level" or not, then I can square up whatever I need it for accordingly.
As for hanging stuff on walls, if I can't find something structural for support I like to use expanding molly anchors. Not super strong but adequate for light duty use.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote