Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2020, 08:56 AM   #1

Can't access the space under the Jackknife Sofa on an EPRO/GEOPRO 19FBS

We've just purchased a 19FBS trailer with the jackknife sofa in the slider. On the floor plan image from the dealer shows that there is storage access to the space under the sofa.

The image on Forest River's website does NOT show this storage access.

The model we're getting does not have the outside access, which is fine because we have the front pass-through. However, when I was checking sizing on storage spaces yesterday, I noticed that there is no access to that space from INSIDE either. There is a panel under the sofa seat that is screwed down.

Does anyone know whether there is any reason we'd not be able to use that space from a structural perspective?

What would be the best and least damaging way to mod it so we can access it? Is it as easy as unscrewing the panel under the sofa seat?
CJGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Posting a pic would be helpful.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #3

I believe the wheel well takes up that room , at least on mine . When slide is out there is no room left .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Posting a pic would be helpful.
I should have taken one of the panel, but I didn't think of it. We take delivery next month, so I'll try to get one then.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #5

Slider photo from dealer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stolzfus slider image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	221436  
Old 01-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #6

Interior of sofa/slider
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	futon sofa.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	221437  
Old 01-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #7

Dealer floor plan image
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floorplan.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	221438  
Old 01-05-2020, 09:19 AM   #8

Floor plan as found on Forest River's website
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19FBS Floorplan.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	221439  
Old 01-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #9

Perhaps they are referring to storage under the sofa itself.

Our jacknife sofa has storage under the sofa seat, but it is only accessible when the sofa is made into a bed. I can't exactly remember, but I think the seat pulls up. The storage isn't very big or easily accessible, but it is there on our rig.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Perhaps they are referring to storage under the sofa itself.

Our jacknife sofa has storage under the sofa seat, but it is only accessible when the sofa is made into a bed. I can't exactly remember, but I think the seat pulls up. The storage isn't very big or easily accessible, but it is there on our rig.
That's what I thought, too, but there's a panel there when you lift up the sofa seat, so that space is totally closed off. I'm thinking the panel is just particle board and I can just unscrew it to gain access to that space, but I don't want to do something that might cause problems later.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #11

My view from the picture provided.

If the couch is sitting on the floor and the panel you are referring to to is in the floor, there is no space under the coach judging from the outside picture of the slide. Couch is under the window right?

It could be an access panel to electric wiring that may be in the slide or to the slide motors, but I don't know from the info provided.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
My view from the picture provided.

If the couch is sitting on the floor and the panel you are referring to to is in the floor, there is no space under the coach judging from the outside picture of the slide. Couch is under the window right?

It could be an access panel to electric wiring that may be in the slide or to the slide motors, but I don't know from the info provided.
That was my other thought. It does look like the sofa seat is at the same height as the bottom of the slider. Maybe there used to be a box frame there for the sofa that was eliminated? I guess the only way to know for sure is to unscrew and see what's there.

Also, I love your quote in your signature bar!
Old 01-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #13

We have a MicroLite 19FBS with the same configuration. Ours does have an access panel from the outside, but it only opens up to the space behind the sofa and not under it. we never use that access panel because it's just as easy to set things down behind the sofa so the panel is unnecessary. like yours, I don't think there's any space under the sofa for storing things. Ours is closed off as well.
kawac14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #14

Sofa storage

I have a different brand, but I did exactly what you're thinking of and created a VERY useful and convenient storage space. I just removed the screws and with a little lift of the couch seat, the panel falls over to the floor giving full access to that pretty substantial space. I put three underbed plastic tubs with roller wheel so I could slide them out and gain easier access. A very beneficial MOD.

I didn't even have to put a closure latch because on mine the couch rests some weight on the panel and holds it into place.

You DO need to check what's under there. Another TT of mine used that space for the fresh water tank and pump. Hope it works for you.
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #15

I have a 2019 Geo Pro 19FBS and i was going to put small storage bins underneath but changed my mind. I lifted the sofa part way to access the brackets that hold the panel in front that you are talking about. I was going to put some type of hinges so i could flip it up when i needed it. The problem is you can put small totes/containers under there with the slide in but as soon as you put the slide out you lose that space. So in the end it was not worth it to me. I didn't want to forget the totes and damage the slide in any way.

Hope that explains it.
baseballbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuscg View Post
I have a different brand, but I did exactly what you're thinking of and created a VERY useful and convenient storage space.
You DO need to check what's under there. Another TT of mine used that space for the fresh water tank and pump. Hope it works for you.

I should have mentioned.. My couch isn't in the slideout. The wheel well and mechanics for the slide may render that idea infeasible if the couch is in the slide.
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGray View Post
We've just purchased a 19FBS trailer with the jackknife sofa in the slider. On the floor plan image from the dealer shows that there is storage access to the space under the sofa.

The image on Forest River's website does NOT show this storage access.

The model we're getting does not have the outside access, which is fine because we have the front pass-through. However, when I was checking sizing on storage spaces yesterday, I noticed that there is no access to that space from INSIDE either. There is a panel under the sofa seat that is screwed down.

Does anyone know whether there is any reason we'd not be able to use that space from a structural perspective?

What would be the best and least damaging way to mod it so we can access it? Is it as easy as unscrewing the panel under the sofa seat?

I have a 2019 Geo Pro 19FBS and i was going to put small storage bins underneath but changed my mind. I lifted the sofa part way to access the brackets that hold the panel in front that you are talking about. I was going to put some type of hinges so i could flip it up when i needed it. The problem is you can put small totes/containers under there with the slide in but as soon as you put the slide out you lose that space. So in the end it was not worth it to me. I didn't want to forget the totes and damage the slide in any way.

Hope that explains it.
baseballbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #18

I have a 2018 E-Pro 19fbs. Mine has an exterior access door right under the window of the slide out. I think that your dealers floorplan probably was from the early E-Pro models that had that exterior access. The space it opens up is accessible right behind the jack knife sofa.

There are alternatives peoples have discussed on YouTube. There are some post on YouTube of a guy adding some bins that fit under the sofa but not enough detail for me to see how he did it. There are screws under the seat cushion towards the front that can be removed to provide access to the area under the jack knife sofa from the interior. I've removed mine and it looks like there would be a way to use the front panel of the sofa once those screws are removed, but for the amount of space it didn't look worth the effort.

Part of the issue is the right wheel well takes up space plus the electrical connections, including those that operate the slide, are there. I decided to leave it alone for now.

The newer E-Pro and Geo-Pro 19fbs have a slide out drawer under the bed between the water heater/water pump/furnace, but that feature had not been added on the early 2018 E-Pro/Geo-Pro. I'd be more inclined to adding space there if yours doesn't already have it...
Old 01-06-2020, 07:47 AM   #19

This is how I accessed the area under the Jackknife Sofa in our previous camper.

Begin folding the sofa into a bed but stop halfway so that there is nothing on top of that front panel.

The panel is held onto two square tubes making up the front of the sofa frame by four "U" brackets that sit over those square tubes. 2 over the top and 2 over the bottom tube.

Lift straight up on the bottom of the panel. After lifting about 1" or so it will simply come off and you will have access from the front.

Return it to its location and move the sofa back to whichever position you desire.

This may not work for you but it is what worked for me.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:02 AM   #20
Retired Bum

Check out a YouTube channel called Geo Pro Adventures. They have a 2018 Geo Pro 19 FBS and I believed they are the ones I saw a video from where they added storage under the sofa. Can’t seem to find the video right now or I would have provided the link.