Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Cardinal 04 31LE

Cargo / Toy Rack for Fifth Wheel Coach

Does anyone have pics or information on custom or manufactured cargo / toy racks that would attach to the rear of a fifth wheel or travel trailer? I have a friend who's son called Forest River to ask about such. They stated they sell one. Funny thing is, they don't advertise it on their website.

I am looking to haul a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700 motorcycle that weighs about 850 pounds. I saw a cargo hauler this weekend that had dolly wheels but was not in a position to ask the owner where they purchased it.

Suggestions??
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Cardinal 04 31LE

C'mon everyone ,....... someone out there must have suggestions...

THANK YOU!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
http://www.motorcycleramps.com/motor...FVlM5QodHhUgKw

Look under motorcycle trailer/Smart Trailer for a dolly type trailer.

Of course, you would have to have a receiver welded on the back of your unit and the weight on your pin might be reduced a bit. More importantly, will you be operating in locations where the law permits double trailers?

If you are talking about hanging an unsupported rack plus an 850# bike from a receiver welded to the back of a fifth wheel, my advice is to forget it. Even if the welds hold up, it will do strange things to your pin weight, etc.

Good luck!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Here is the manufacturer's URL so you can see the different Smart Trailers that are available.
http://www.smarttrailers.com/

Old 07-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Dimurrrw,

Personally I don't think what you are wanting is feasible. If the rack only has told the weight of the motorcycle, how are you going to pick it up the motorcycle and load/unload it? Now you have to have a ramp, and about 4 feet wide for support. The rack is going to weigh 300 pounds, how are you going to attach it? Now we have almost 1200 pounds on the rear of the trailer, that equals minus 1200 or more tongue weight, depending on distance behind the wheels. Simply put, your bike is too big and heavy for what you want. You might get by trying to haul a dirt bike, less than 200 pounds, this way. Maybe that's why they invented "toy haulers" Check in to them if you haven't purchased a trailer yet. One big advantage is your bike is locked in when you are away eating or shopping, and it is out the weather.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Cardinal 04 31LE

Thanks for the input, I really wish I would have grabbed a pic of the unit I saw this past Sunday. I agree with many of the comments received so far. If anyone has information to share please feel free. If I find what I am looking for I will post it. The links provided were helpful too.

BTW the unit I saw was on a fifth wheel Holiday Rambler Presidential used to haul a golf cart, it had wheel ramps, but a friend of mine described one with a hydraulic lift. The point about reducind pin weight is an excellent point to keep in mind.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Grape Escape

There is a single wheel type of trailer that will attach to 2"receiver. Can't recall the manuf but they were kind of pricey
Found the link http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/rv_...er_assist.html
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:29 AM   #8

I saw the greatest add on trailer for 5th this past week. Look under swivel wheel trailers. I just tried to find the correct mfg but could not. Anyway this was trailer was attached to the 5th wheel by two points and the two rear wheels were made to handle the weight and ride. The owner said it was very easy to back up due to the way it is attached to the trailer. Sorry could not help more
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
AKA Bluebird

My bad. Hit the wrong button.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
AKA Bluebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
There is a single wheel type of trailer that will attach to 2"receiver. Can't recall the manuf but they were kind of pricey
Found the link http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/rv_...er_assist.html
Interesting trailer. But if you want to disconnect it and move it by hand, you might have a problem. For example, when you are ready to back into a space and the length of the lot is too short for both the trailer and coach. There is only one point of contact with the ground, and that swivels. How would you balance it, especially if loaded?