Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #1

carpet replacement

2304 rockwood ultra lite: luv the trailer, hate the carpet. it is the only item i can find in the unit that is really sub standard. the carpet was ugly when we bought the unit and one year later it looks like it is twenty years old. maximum of 50 nite use with lots of cleaning and vacuuming. the unit has one large slide and therein lies the problem of easy fix. whoever does the job has to know about rv slildes, and that is not carpet people. does anyone have any recommendations or ideas. been thru this once before when we replaced carpet with hardwood. sounds simple, as hardwood is thinner than carpet....uh uh. slide binded on hardwood, making unsightly scars every time slide went in and out. looking for an easy solution here, one that we will not regret after the change. help!!!!!!
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #2

Smile

I can say that after the job is finished, it's really nice. Our friends did it here in the park this winter and he had the same problem with the slide marking the new floor. What he did is got some yard sticks and put felt on one side and that lays on the floor and the slide comes up just a bit to come in and slides on those felt strips and keeps the floor looking nice. Just a suggestion, it works on their Hitchhiker 5th wheel. Good luck with it, like I said, it's sharp when finished.

Oh one more thing, They put a little tack or small nail or hook of some kind to hold it in place as the slide moves in on it.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I would like to tackle this myself one day.
Any chance photos were taken of the progress?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Site Team

We also have an Ultra Lite and just like Ian, our carpet looked cheap when
the trailer was new. We bought it at an RV show and it looked worn
and thin when we took delivery!

Needless to say 4 years later it's looking even crummier.

Wife wants new carpet.
I'm looking at all the stuff that's installed on top of the carpet.
It looks like they covered the bedroom end floor entirely first and
then installed the bed and end cabinets.
I'll have to either just cut the carpet at the exposed edges or remove the
entire bed and corner cabinets. That's a major demo just to change
carpet that would be fine today if they'd just put some decent stuff
in there in the first place!
At least we don't have a slide to worry about
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #5

carpet

Thx for comments and suggestions. I sure agree with putting in decent carpet to start with. Its a poor place to try to cut corners and save money. I am having my local tech give me a quote on disconnecting the slide so the carpet people can get under. Not looking forward to the news.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #6

My DH has put hardwood floor in our previous motorhom (replaced carpet) and previous travel trailer (replaced cheap linoleum). He used pine in the motorhome and bamboo in the trailer...it added a definite upgraded feeling to the units. Both those units were over 10 yrs old and needed something done....

What did you end up doing? Recarpet or hard floor? Pics?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #7

We elected to install linoleum as an option on our Georgetown when it finally arrives.
Our travel family includes our Lab and two parrots so rather than get all stressed and angry about the bird poopy when it comes (as it invariably will) we just figured linoleum would same our marriage. I think anything you can do to upgrade the carpeting is a plus and the sooner the better. On our Jayco only one trip saw the edges fraying and the area near the slides getting bent up and uneven.
Whomever installs the rugs has to know there will be wear and stress points at slideouts and simple staples and pins are a joke on day one.
The doorway above the stairs is another place destined for doom. Why don't they install the saddles that they have in our homes where ever there are transitions so the area is protected from abuse?
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #8

We have a 2304 s with minimal carpet just a thin strip in front of slide. When i peek under it it looks like linolium goes under the minimal carpet, if I remove the carpet does it cause any problems with the slide? What is the purpose of carpet there? If carpet is gone is there a space under there when slide is in?

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote