Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #1

Cell/wifi boosters

Anyone using a Cell/wifi antena booster. The type I see advertised has a roofmount antena and a cable that is run to the inside of the rv to bring the signal inside and amplified.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:48 AM   #2

I'm planning to install a 20db directional Wi-Fi antenna connected to one of these

Ubiquiti BULLET-M2-HP Outdoor 802.11 B/G/N M2HP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SYS22E..._yyvezbN7FYSGA

The bullet (which will be inside) will connect to the boosted directional antenna on the roof to handle my connection to the campground network.

There will be another wireless router inside the camper to handle connection from all my devices.

This won't handle 3g or 4g boosting though. Just Wi-Fi. Probably going to run me a few hundred before I'm done.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:51 AM   #3

Actually I could probably just use a 2nd router that accepts an external antenna instead of the bullet, which would save probably 80 bucks.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #4

I have ordered the wifi ranger setup. I can plug wireless hotspot into it as well. It will fail over from the campground Wi-Fi to the hotspot when needed.
taylorjw0831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #5

I use the CampPro WiFi kit by Alfa. It's one third the price of the popular RV WiFi kits. It's worked really well for me the last year.
http://amzn.to/2pwTBhm
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 AM   #6

I've done a bit of research and mounting the bullet inside is not the best idea because at WiFi frequency, the signal from the antenna would be attenuated. Same for connecting the antenna to a router.

Better to run cat 6 to the bullet which is what I plan to do. No signal loss.

Though you need to determine where the WiFi signal is coming from and point the antenna, a directional antenna is capable of connecting over a much longer distance than an omni directional one. Miles even.

The bullet has a router built in, but I'm using a second one for inside the camper mainly because I already have one. Another option would be a wireless access point.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Anyone using a Cell/wifi antena booster. The type I see advertised has a roofmount antena and a cable that is run to the inside of the rv to bring the signal inside and amplified.
look up a Wilson brand they make many styles . i have one for my truck that i move to the rv when parked . i could not be online now with out it . works great for both rv and truck . go from 0 bars to 3 to 5 bars with the wilson . I'm at a spot in west Yellowstone right now [bakers hole] where cell service is spotty at best but with the wilson i can do everything .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #8

Did not know there are so many options. Like the Alfa WiFi camp except for the reviews it seems to be hard to set up with little instructions.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Did not know there are so many options. Like the Alfa WiFi camp except for the reviews it seems to be hard to set up with little instructions.
I didn't find it hard to set up. There is a single page instruction sheet for it that takes you through the initial setup step by step. Anyone who can read should not have a problem.

My antenna is attached to a 10' piece of PVC conduit that I attach to the door lock levers at the back of the TH. That puts the antenna about six feet above the roof and only takes about two minutes or less to set up. Was at a CG a couple of weeks ago where the iPhone could see four networks while the Alpha was seeing 18 networks. Unfortunately all of them were passworded except for the CG supplied one, which became pretty useless when a few hundred other folks were online.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #10

I have the CampPro and setup is a breeze.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #11

wifi booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
I have the CampPro and setup is a breeze.
Good to know. How does it work for you.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #12

I have had it over a year and has worked great. Installation is easy plug and play. The first time it is setup you give it a network name and password that you will always use for your devices. After that whenever you get to a campground you go into the router settings choose the campground network and your done. Your devices will connect to the CampPro via the network name you assigned during first time setup. This is how most booster systems work. It's also very device friendly. I mean you can use a laptop, tablet or phone to enter the administration page to change any settings.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #13

[QUOTE=emm-dee;1501907]I didn't find it hard to set up. There is a single page instruction sheet for it that takes you through the initial setup step by step. Anyone who can read should not have a problem.

My antenna is attached to a 10' piece of PVC conduit that I attach to the door lock levers at the back of the TH. That puts the antenna about six feet above the roof and only takes about two minutes or less to set up. Was at a CG a couple of weeks ago where the iPhone could see four networks while the Alpha was seeing 18 networks. Unfortunately all of them were passworded except for the CG supplied one, which became pretty useless when a few hundred other folks were online.[/QUO.
Danette is offline   Reply With Quote