Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #1

changing entry steps

my DW showed me a picture of folding stairs. found info on Mor Ride Step Above. I have a 2018 Rockwood Signiture 8328bs. I was wondering if anyone changed their steps. I downloaded instructions and specs. I'm a little tight on threshold and hinge plate measurements. I don't know if Forest River redesigned doorway.
brobinson0857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #2

I replaced mine with Mor Ride steps on my 8329SS fairly simple task. I did have to deviate from the instructions slightly. I measured as instructed and put two screws in and checked the fit. There is a bend in the threshold plate of the steps. That bend's highest point did not meet up with the highest point of the door's threshold. I believe I shifted the steps inward about 1\4" more than the stated dimension to gain the most door clearance. Although very pleased with upgrade, I often think of removing a 1\4" off the bottom of screen door to help with closing the screen door itself, it hangs up just a little bit. It seems trimming the door down would be easy enough but requires disassembling door framing which could backfire.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:11 PM   #3
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobinson0857 View Post
my DW showed me a picture of folding stairs. found info on Mor Ride Step Above. I have a 2018 Rockwood Signiture 8328bs. I was wondering if anyone changed their steps. I downloaded instructions and specs. I'm a little tight on threshold and hinge plate measurements. I don't know if Forest River redesigned doorway.
Did your 2018 Rockwood come with the factory-installed MORryde steps that store in the doorway or did it come with external steps that are mounted below the entry door?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:24 PM   #4

I looked at the Mor-Ryde to replace the diving board steps on my TT but just didn't like the idea of folding them back in to the camper. I was concerned with not getting all the dirt off before folding them up and if I had to fold them up in the rain. I went with the Revolution Glo-Steps by Torklift. I really like these. They are somewhat of a scissor action step that replace your existing factory folding steps storing in the same area. One thing I did learn: My TT has the springs on top of the axles which makes it sit up quite a bit higher than most TT's. The Glo-Steps come with three steps which was not quite enough for us. I ordered and added the fourth step to mine and we have been happy with this set-up so far.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:41 AM   #5

If you want an installation with less or no modifications (usually required for the MorRyde steps), you might want to consider the Lippert SolidSteps.

Bruce
Old 09-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host

My friend has the MorRyde and hates all the dirt and debris that get into the camper when the steps are stowed. Yes, you can clean them off, but when it's wet and muddy they don't get perfectly clean.
Although a little pricey I'm going to go with the Torklift Glow Step Revolution.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #7

Our Flagstaff MicroLite has the new MorRyde steps and we prefer them over the old style folding steps. They are s’more stable and easier to deploy and store. We have adjusted to the need to adjust the legs each time we move to a new site which is a minor trade-off for the increased stability provided. They also make a handrail that can be attached to the steps that stays attached as you store the steps. The steps are aluminum and ours have a no slip adhesive strip on them. As far as debris when folding the steps in for storage, we sweep the steps before hand and if wet we will wipe them down. We keep a small rug just inside the door which catches most dirt we may have missed. Our older style steps with carpets attached were always catching road dirt and debris when in transport and were more difficult to keep clean. We are very satisfied with the MorRyde steps.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #8

I swapped mine out and went with the lippert steps becasue it has a deeper tread on the top step.

they are fantastic and i would take the extra support and chance of dirt int eh camper over the alumitreads i swapped out.

i hose mine off prior to folding up and haven't had an issue - but the main drawback is if you have to access your rig in storage for example where there is not enough room to deploly the step.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #9

I also installed them in my 8329SS and we love them. I did take both doors off and cut them down a bit so they wouldn't drag. That kind of work is not for the faint of heart. It worked out for me but I could see all kinds of ways where you could get yourself in trouble. The installation of the stairs was a breeze though. We always have a rug under the steps so whatever dirt might fall inside is the same dirt we'd be tracking in on our shoes.
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #10

OMG STOP!

Quote:

IMHO don't put those pieces of crap on your TT. First off if you have to close up in the rain you will be putting wet steps into your TT.

Next you have to be almost perfectly level or the steps will bounce around from side to side. Yes they have slides on each leg but still unless you are perfectly level they will bounce.

Best steps are the fold out from under the door.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #11
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
IMHO don't put those pieces of crap on your TT. First off if you have to close up in the rain you will be putting wet steps into your TT.

Next you have to be almost perfectly level or the steps will bounce around from side to side. Yes they have slides on each leg but still unless you are perfectly level they will bounce.

X2

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #12

thanks to all for responding. downloaded LCI solid step. like large top step. will call tomorrow. to be sure. I dont like taking a sawzall to my new trailer
brobinson0857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:03 PM   #13

changing entry steps

Quote:

Crap?

So do you have personal experience that you based your humble opinion on campers302?

In our 4400 miles of camping experience with the new style MorRyde tip out stairs we routinely clean our steps and give them a quick sweep or wipe down before storing them. No problems with water or extra dirt inside so far.

Regarding the use of the leveling feet, in our personal experience we have NEVER had them bounce from side to side whether perfectly level or not. We’ve set up on concrete, asphalt, gravel and sand. If I have a negative comment it would be that you need to make sure the steps are adjusted low enough so that the door will clear them when you close it. It takes a minute or less to adjust the leveling legs but I much prefer that along with the extremely stable steps vs the shaky, narrow, dirty and rusty folding steps we have dealt with for the last 30 years.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #14

Quote:

lol - says the person without the steps.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #15
CGK
Camping with Labs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Crap?

So do you have personal experience that you based your humble opinion on campers302?

In our 4400 miles of camping experience with the new style MorRyde tip out stairs we routinely clean our steps and give them a quick sweep or wipe down before storing them. No problems with water or extra dirt inside so far.

Regarding the use of the leveling feet, in our personal experience we have NEVER had them bounce from side to side whether perfectly level or not. We’ve set up on concrete, asphalt, gravel and sand. If I have a negative comment it would be that you need to make sure the steps are adjusted low enough so that the door will clear them when you close it. It takes a minute or less to adjust the leveling legs but I much prefer that along with the extremely stable steps vs the shaky, narrow, dirty and rusty folding steps we have dealt with for the last 30 years.
X2 - Love the MORryde steps on our TT. We have small dust pan and whisk broom mounted near each door, and keep a wipe towel handy if we have to close-up in the rain. Big improvement over the under-door steps we had on the last 3 TTs. Also like the look of the Torklift Glowsteps, and had considered mounting them on our previous TT before we decided to buy this one. Lots of choices out there now - no need to stay with the old style if something else provides better support.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:32 PM   #16

Quote:
I installed the MorRyde and we love it. Sure you to clean off a bit when closing them up, but the stability they provide far outweighs the little dirt and water. They adjust perfectly where ever we have been also. We are a 2018 2909WS and I did have to lift the screen door a bit, but no worries. You’ll enjoy the stability!
karlrmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:21 PM   #17

x3 Love my morRyde steps !
aupainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:23 AM   #18

We put glowstep revolution steps on our mini lite. Our new-to-us ultra lite has the mor-ryde steps on both entry doors. Loved the glowsteps but unfortunately, they won't work on the ultra lite without serious modification due to the manual slide crank location. Also I would have to buy another set.

For us, there was a little bit of a learning curve to the mor-ryde steps. While I don't like them as much as the glowsteps, they are growing on me.

I'll have a 3 step set of glowsteps plus a 1 step add on for sale soon...
Old 09-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Crap?

Nice way to start your reply, NOT!

Yes I have personal experience with these steps. We did not like them at all for the reasons I expressed in my opinion.

As to your 4400 miles. Were all those miles done with the steps in question? Lol, your miles and years of camping have nothing to do with the steps in question.

May you have another 4400 miles in your life.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #20

What do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
lol - says the person without the steps.

You are correct, we do not have those steps now. We have had them in the past.

When we purchased our last TT about 8 months ago we made sure the under the door steps were on that model.

What was the point of your snarky comment any way?