Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 09:35 PM   #1

Converting fresh water from pressure intake to gravity fill

We so a lot of dry camping and realized we can't pour water from our 6-gallon bottles into the fresh water tank, because we have to threaded hose connection to add water from a pressurized system (water faucet at our house).

Is there a way to remove the pressurized intake and replace it with a gravity intake?
Vicfor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:39 PM   #2

Buy another 12v pump like in the RV. Pump from a tank, jug, bladder into the FW connection.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Buy another 12v pump like in the RV. Pump from a tank, jug, bladder into the FW connection.

I've done exactly this even though I have a gravity fill tank. A lot easier than lifting and pouring.

Also makes it possible to use a much larger water transport "container" like a bladder, barrel, or tank, depending on vehicle available for transport.

The pump I use (same as onboard pump) empties 5 gallon collapsible "cubes" in 2 minutes. I line up 6 cubes on the bed of my pickup, empty them one after another, and the entire process including setup takes ~20 minutes.

No lifting, spilling, or sore back afterward

Bonus------If I ever have a pump failure in my TT I have a spare pump that uses the same fittings for easy changeover.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I've done exactly this even though I have a gravity fill tank. A lot easier than lifting and pouring.

Also makes it possible to use a much larger water transport "container" like a bladder, barrel, or tank, depending on vehicle available for transport.

The pump I use (same as onboard pump) empties 5 gallon collapsible "cubes" in 2 minutes. I line up 6 cubes on the bed of my pickup, empty them one after another, and the entire process including setup takes ~20 minutes.

No lifting, spilling, or sore back afterward

Bonus------If I ever have a pump failure in my TT I have a spare pump that uses the same fittings for easy changeover.
I recall you posting about the same info awhile back. That's what made me suggest the same to the OP.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I recall you posting about the same info awhile back. That's what made me suggest the same to the OP.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #6

Has anybody used the winterizing hose built into the pump? Turn the valve and drop the hose into a fresh water jug. Wouldn't that work?
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
Has anybody used the winterizing hose built into the pump? Turn the valve and drop the hose into a fresh water jug. Wouldn't that work?
X2. If you do not have a gravity fill, there is a way to use the onboard pump to fill your fresh tank from a container. You just have to figure out the valve settings. Most RVs of this type have a diagram explaining it.
Quite few of our camping group now have new RVs w/o gravity fill. We always managed to figure out how to use the onboard pump. Some were easy, some took some head scratching.
If you can't figure it out, an external pump will work also.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
This shouldn't allow water/antifreeze in to the fresh water tank. The system should be set up that the valve bypass's the fresh water tank when winterizing.

However, I have seen someone position that valve 1/2 open and "cheat" the bypass. It wasn't fast and I cant speak to whether or not it will cause damage to the pump, but it did allow water to be sucked from a jug into the freshwater tank.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Some use the winterizing port and have rigged the outside shower hose to provide pressurized water to the city water inlet. Then just use tank fill valve.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some use the winterizing port and have rigged the outside shower hose to provide pressurized water to the city water inlet. Then just use tank fill valve.
This is what I do. It also allowed me to verify my fresh water capacity.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #11

I called Forest River and they said that using the winterizing pump would not fill the fresh water tank.
mmarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:40 AM   #12

It can be done, adding 2 tees and a valve with some pex you can create a bypass . I did this when I had to reinstall the two way valve that was installed wrong.
Picture shows set up before attaching to main pipes in trailer.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	625.8 KB
ID:	240217
Old 10-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #13

Those who's trailers are equipped with a Showermiser can pull water in though the antifreeze fill line with the factory pump and direct the water back to the fresh water tank via the Showermiser bypass.

Below are instructions for filling from the city water port, but it can also be achieved by using the antifreeze port and pump.

https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/

FILL YOUR FRESH WATER TANK FROM INSIDE THE RV
The RV fresh water tank is normally always filled from the outside, which isn’t much fun when the weather is bad! NO MORE! When you are at your site and still connected to a water source and ready to fill, simply follow these steps:

Do not disconnect your outside water source.
Check your control panel to see how much fresh water you have in your water tank.
Turn the SHOWERMI$ER lever/valve to bypass the shower head.
Turn the cold water shower valve to full pressure.
Keep an eye on the water control panel.
When it shows full, turn OFF the shower valve.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
Site Team

A 12V marine wash down pump works great. You can power it from the TV Bargman connector so pump and water container can stay in bed of TV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #15

i have a spare onboard pump from a previous RV. I mounted it to a piece of plywood, some hose fittings and a 6' piece of garden hose. For power a 12' cord with aligator clips. I can put the hose in a bucket or connect to a tank, etc. then use my regular fresh water hose to discharge into the tank. I have a spare 5 gallon bucket with lid that it fits in so I now have a bucket for any use, with a lid and it can be used to transport water or to use as a kind of sump to pump from a spigot without threads, set the bucket under the faucet, connect pump, etc.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #16
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarken View Post
I called Forest River and they said that using the winterizing pump would not fill the fresh water tank.
You are asking someone who has most likely never used a camper let alone had to use their imagination and ingenuity to figure out what needs to be done to get by. And of course, the experience of life-long rv'ers and forum members far outweighs what some salesman or pencil pusher says.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #17
Seasoned Camper-MH newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
You are asking someone who has most likely never used a camper let alone had to use their imagination and ingenuity to figure out what needs to be done to get by. And of course, the experience of life-long rv'ers and forum members far outweighs what some salesman or pencil pusher says.

Precisely correct. I modified our outside shower hose by attaching a standard hose thread at the end - which I usually attach a hose sprayer. But if I need to fill the freshwater tank, simply route the shower hose onto the fresh water fill and then use the winterizing intake with the water tank of your choice, i.e., a 5 gallon jug, turn on the outside shower valve, and the water pump fills the tank from the jug.

I also have a spare RV water pump mounted in a tackle box with a switch, with a tube on the inlet end and hose on the outlet, that I used to use with a travel trailer.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
It can be done, adding 2 tees and a valve with some pex you can create a bypass . I did this when I had to reinstall the two way valve that was installed wrong.
Picture shows set up before attaching to main pipes in trailer.Attachment 240217
Based on your advice I did the same yesterday. It works well.

I tested it with a 25' hose and with the 6 gallon tank on the ground. It emptied it quickly without strain. I used the long hose to simulate connecting to a large water bladder in the bed of my truck.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Based on your advice I did the same yesterday. It works well.

I tested it with a 25' hose and with the 6 gallon tank on the ground. It emptied it quickly without strain. I used the long hose to simulate connecting to a large water bladder in the bed of my truck.

That’s great! I also have a bladder bag for fresh water which I use. I could only find a 40 gallon version when I purchased mine.
Thanks for the feed back.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
... I could only find a 40 gallon version when I purchased mine.
Where?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, pressure, water