Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #41

Thanks for posting Oaklevel. Like you said, some may want a lock, and some may not. Here's the one I put on mine as soon as I bought our camper. Its the one that you can open on the outside with a quarter or anything that will slide into the slot.

John N.
Madison Heights, Mi.
2009 Salem LE 27RBEC
2013 F250 Lariat 6.2L
Old 07-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #42

Common Sense

It is true that a modicum of Common Sense will prevent most unfortunate incidents. Unfortunately Common Sense is not always a common trait.

Most construction codes, be they RV, Residential or Commercial construction are written in someone's Blood, Sweat or Tears somewhere!

The other side of the coin are Lawyers. They cost us all money even if never a party to the lawsuits they file against manufactures in increased construction and administrative costs.

Argue the merits if you wish of the codes, violate them if you wish, just be willing to live with the consequences of your actions.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #43

I was grilling outside, and the wife brought some food out, as soon as she stepped out our three year old granddaughter locked the entry door, and we were stuck outside, and her inside. We had no hidden key. Finally, after about 5 mins. she unlocked the door. We now have a spare key where we can access it outside.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #44

a Lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Apparently it is important to some to have locks on their doors....... while trying to help and pass along possible safety hazards, I get called an idiot and something worse on another thread so............... Take the information and go on really ?????

Sometimes a person's mind is made up and they refuse to be bothered with inconvenient facts. They are ignorant and proud of it.

Trying to educate these persons is a bit like trying to teach a pig to sing....
All you accomplish is to waste your time and annoy the pig. I admit, at times annoying the pig can be fun though.

You did your best to educate...........It is apparent you are wasting your time!

Thanks for your effort!
Old 07-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Sometimes a person's mind is made up and they refuse to be bothered with inconvenient facts. They are ignorant and proud of it.

Trying to educate these persons is a bit like trying to teach a pig to sing....
All you accomplish is to waste your time and annoy the pig. I admit, at times annoying the pig can be fun though.

You did your best to educate...........It is apparent you are wasting your time!

Thanks for your effort!

X2
Old 07-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I added a lock on our bath and master bedroom on our last fiver. Both could easily be opened from outside with a coin or even just pressure while turning the center piece. My teen-age daughters don't like it when they are showering and little sister opens the door and leaves it open. Just got to make sure the locks are fairly simple to unlock from the outside when needed. Good to think about, thanks for sharing.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 07-03-2016, 09:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Apparently it is important to some to have locks on their doors....... while trying to help and pass along possible safety hazards, I get called an idiot and something worse on another thread so............... Take the information and go on really ?????

I've gone back and re-read all the posts, and maybe I'm missing something, but the only post where the word "idiot" is mentioned is YOURS (Post #31, quoted above). There were a number of folks who just didn't agree with you, for various reasons, but I failed to see anyone calling you names. Did I miss it somewhere????

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 07-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I've gone back and re-read all the posts, and maybe I'm missing something, but the only post where the word "idiot" is mentioned is YOURS (Post #31, quoted above). There were a number of folks who just didn't agree with you, for various reasons, but I failed to see anyone calling you names. Did I miss it somewhere????
It was deleted by my request by the moderators. A word not worth repeating here was also used to describe me. Lets just say it was against forum rules.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 07-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #49

I was just telling my wife earlier that I expected this to get shut down. I was just joking a little earlier (with the exception of my 2017 really did come with a bathroom door lock...installed backwards). There's absolutely no call for any name calling or similar comments whether they agree with you or not.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #50

Quote:
It was deleted by my request by the moderators. A word not worth repeating here was also used to describe me. Lets just say it was against forum rules.
Unfortunately one runs into that stuff on these internet boards. Personally, I don't think any logical thinking person has any problem with your opinion on locks. Just because someone says something different doesn't make it wrong...it just makes it different.

Your reasons are valid but not really applicable to others. Your concern is a child getting locked in. Can't happen in my unit because if the door is locked then the normal movement of the handle automatically unlocks the door if moved from the locked side.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #51

All I can do is pass information along agreeable or not . I don't mind disagreements or even arguments. I have thick skin these things happen in my line of work daily. Name calling is ok too..... except in a public forum when the written words that are used are against the forum rules and can get you in legal trouble in some areas the line is crossed.

Have a great 4th !!!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #52

There are three types of door knobs or levers, hall and closet (do not lock), bed and bath (lock but can be opened with a coin or factory pick) and the last is a keyed lock (type used on entry doors). I changed the factory installed hall and closet to bed and bath. I also installed lever style locks because they are easier to open by children and older adults. The pick for the lock hangs beside the door if needed. A child could just as easily lock the main door of the unit in the heat and the AC is not running the trailer will reach heats that can cause death in a short time. If I was to use your thinking then all the doors would not have locks.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
There are three types of door knobs or levers, hall and closet (do not lock), bed and bath (lock but can be opened with a coin or factory pick) and the last is a keyed lock (type used on entry doors). I changed the factory installed hall and closet to bed and bath. I also installed lever style locks because they are easier to open by children and older adults. The pick for the lock hangs beside the door if needed. A child could just as easily lock the main door of the unit in the heat and the AC is not running the trailer will reach heats that can cause death in a short time. If I was to use your thinking then all the doors would not have locks.
Just happens much faster in a bathroom...... just a matter of a few minutes. Like I said earlier nearly lost our son by a bathroom lock when they came on RV bathroom doors years ago. Now for the most part you no longer see the locks on the bathroom doors coming from the factory.

You choise to take the risk or not. Just trying to prevent a child's death.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #54

Our 2013 (Keystone) Passport came with a lock on the inside bathroom door but it unlocks as soon as you turn the knob from the bathroom side. We also have a door to the bathroom from the exterior, 9 times out of 10 it seems like the exterior door is locked whenever someone tries to use it for that reason I keep a key for the lock right next to the door in the outside kitchen.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
Old 07-03-2016, 11:49 PM   #55
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I still don't understand the need for a lock. Everyone I know that would be in my camper respects another's privacy without having to lock a door. Same reason no doors are ever locked in our house.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #56

Our bathroom has two entries, and I don't think either of them lock, but thank you for the information. As grandparents, we sometimes have to rethink how we camp when one of the littles is with us, so this is always a good reminder. Thank you Oaklevel for that reminder today.

Happy Independence Day, fellow RVers!

Happiness is just a ride away!
Old 07-04-2016, 06:21 AM   #57

Its time to close this one like the other thread its getting beat to death some we must leave all our locks on the work bench.

Now days so many helicopter parents hovering around
Old 07-04-2016, 06:50 AM   #58

This weekend I removed the doors from my TT and tow vehicle. I have been getting some weird looks but the peace of mind is worth it.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #59
Site Team

Site Team Note:

Please keep comments on subject of locks and refrain from judging other members decisions.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 07-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
Its time to close this one like the other thread its getting beat to death some we must leave all our locks on the work bench.

Now days so many helicopter parents hovering around

Bingo....

We all can make the choice we want.
The bathroom is one of many places kids could get into trouble.
If it had been my kid, I wouldn't have been waiting for the Rv tech.. I could have been in, in 30 seconds.

One poster, mentioned the kids locking the main camper door.

What about the tow rig too?
What about the public toilet stall?

Lots of places.

It's nobody's business, how each of us raise our children.
Mind you own business. ( not to anyone specific)

Oak level. You made your point. No need to beat it any further.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Tags
door, roo, lock