Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #21
Who Dares, Wins

Have you just tried a fence installation company? We have them all over here.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Great job.

Mine was white until I moved it from my white Roo 19 to my whatever-color-the-emerald-package-Mini-Lite-2503S is. That's when the DW said it needed to be painted to match the black along the bottom of the trailer. Really makes it "disappear." See 1st pic below.

Also, I held mine with bungee cords, so I have a small U-bolt in the middle of the end caps. See 2nd pic below. Although you don't need them with your spring setup, you might want to add them, or something like them (even a kitchen cabinet knob) so you can grab and open them easier. I'm guessing it takes both hands with your setup. A knob would make it a one-hander.
Very good suggestion. It does take two hands to avoid banging it up a bit. I painted mine satin black as well this past week to get it to blend in as well. Much better now.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 AM   #23

That has to be one of the best mods I have seen. I also appreciate you taking the time to post photos and a detailed, but understandable, description of the project. On my previous TT I did the fence post thingy but wish I had known of using the gutter for a "drawer", neat idea. Now I'm wondering if I could use a piece of gutter with the metal rear bumper on this newer TT. I'll know by sunset tomorrow.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I've been wanting to do this for a long time. Actually over the last 3 rigs we've owned, and STILL have not done it. Problem is, nobody carries the posts. Not lowes or HD, at least within a 2 hour range of me. Looks like I'll just have to order them at some point and make it happen. Unless somebody knows somebody that carries the 5" post in central Louisiana?

I am ordering mine from HD. I saw them for $25 and $3 for the caps. Ship to store is $5 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #25

I bought mine at Lowes.....

Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #26

Hey doc73,
Do you remember where (what area/dept of Lowe's) you found that steel strip in ?
I looked all over the hardware dept and could only find some much thicker stuff (which I don't think I could bend well without a box/pan folder) that also had much larger holes, or some thinner stuff (which is coiled into a roll) in the electrical dept, which I bought, tho I'm not sure how tough it'll be
Old 09-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #27

is there any need for ventilation? wondering if a vent hole or two(square hole, round hole, or what ever) cut on the top side and covered with screen wire piece, would be good to allow ventilation for drying. I've covered vents like that to prevent mud daubers from entering by using caulking. running a ring of caulking around the opening/hole and then placing the screen into the wet caulking, when dried, it's a permanent fix.

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Hey doc73,
Do you remember where (what area/dept of Lowe's) you found that steel strip in ?
I looked all over the hardware dept and could only find some much thicker stuff (which I don't think I could bend well without a box/pan folder) that also had much larger holes, or some thinner stuff (which is coiled into a roll) in the electrical dept, which I bought, tho I'm not sure how tough it'll be
It was with their flat steel and angle iron pieces. Came in a short, 3 foot length. The holes are maybe 1/4" (do not have it in front of me).

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
is there any need for ventilation? wondering if a vent hole or two(square hole, round hole, or what ever) cut on the top side and covered with screen wire piece, would be good to allow ventilation for drying. I've covered vents like that to prevent mud daubers from entering by using caulking. running a ring of caulking around the opening/hole and then placing the screen into the wet caulking, when dried, it's a permanent fix.
I thought about venting but I wanted to see how it worked out with out any more holes drilled

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #30

I bought my vinyl fence post from ACE Hardward in the US as I couldn't find one anywhere in Canada. I also used the gutter as an internal drawer and the 3' length of gutter I had to cut off in order get it to fit inside the post, sits inside the drawer. That piece I use as a support at the end of the stinky slinky. I managed to get the post to fit inside the basement where the original tube had beed installed by the manufacture. This allows me to use the hatch door fitted by Cedar Creek for the drawer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	88952  

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I haven't vented mine and don't think it's a big deal. Actually, I'd think you'd want drain holes more than vent holes so water doesn't sit in there. Of course, that's kind of like draining your tanks on the ground, and I don't think we want to go THERE!

And if you're post is "inside' the TT as in Hutch333id's pic, I'd think ANY holes you made you'd want to have in the end caps, NOT in the fence post, or it would be draining/venting into the TT.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
It was with their flat steel and angle iron pieces. Came in a short, 3 foot length. The holes are maybe 1/4" (do not have it in front of me).
That's where I was looking. I guess my local Lowe's just didn't have the smaller one in stock. I will be driving past another Lowe's today, so might check if they have that in stock since it looks a little tougher than what I bought
leefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #33

Hey doc,
Do you have your 15ft hose and 10ft extension stored in there coupled together ?
I was hoping to store them separately, but with end caps on both they won't fit separately, so I guess I'll have to store them coupled (and detach them in the rare cases where the combo is too long).
Only other alternative would be to make 2 tubes, which might also let me store my clear 45deg elbow, but I'm thinking of just leaving that fitted to the camper permanently (I did have it attached to the hose, but that won't fit in with the rest)
Old 09-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #34
Who Dares, Wins

Yes, both of mine are attached together. I might have enough room to separate them but I keep them together to keep them "sealed." I only have one set of caps.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #35
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
If you don't add the ends to the gutter, you can also use it to support hose during use by make'n a stand or two......made mine adjustable for any height needed.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #36
Who Dares, Wins

Yes it would work well for this. I have the slinky thing that I use to hold my hose but the gutter would negate one more thing from the trailer if needed.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
If you don't add the ends to the gutter, you can also use it to support hose during use by make'n a stand or two......made mine adjustable for any height needed.
Nice idea. I do also have the folding stand thingy, for a 15 ft hose (wish I'd bought the longer one), but if I didn't already have that then I'd consider using the gutter as an option
Old 09-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #38
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
found the fold together hose support to be a pia.....to set up. I also leave the clear 90 on all the time.....have 3 storage tubes so that I have more options for long things.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I've found the fold together hose support to be a pia.....to set up.
Only used mine once thus far, and so far I have to agree, tho' it was made much worse by the fact that the state park (one of the few in FL with sewer hookup) had their sewer hookup in a concrete block about 6 inches above the level of the campground, thus making the support semi-useless (in that the hookup was above the height of the support).
I'd like to know what idiot thought it was a good idea to put the sewer hookup above the height of the rest of the site. They'd obviously never used one themselves.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I've been wanting to do this for a long time. Actually over the last 3 rigs we've owned, and STILL have not done it. Problem is, nobody carries the posts. Not lowes or HD, at least within a 2 hour range of me. Looks like I'll just have to order them at some point and make it happen. Unless somebody knows somebody that carries the 5" post in central Louisiana?
I just checked the Lowes website for the 17708 fence post, in central LA stores and they all show stock (Alexandria, Leesville, Pineville etc)
Shop Gatehouse Arborley White Vinyl Fence Post (Common: 96-in; Actual: 96-in) at Lowes.com

In my Lowe's store (central FL) they were in the outside gardening supplies area. Hope that helps.