Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 01:02 AM   #1

Diesel air Heater

Has anyone installed a diesel air heater in their camper
Also known as a diesel parking air heater

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1000_.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71+7csQGDyL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	249895  
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:01 AM   #2

It seems to me the smell of the diesel exhaust would be really bad. It wouldn't be noticed in a truck stop but in a camp ground? Our big motorhome had a diesel generator and when I had to run it for a couple of hours to charge batteries the whole cg around me would smell bad. Usually at night and early morning even in Wyoming the wind dies down so the smell accumulates.
And unless you have a diesel engine it makes another fuel to contend with.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #3

I’ve heard they heat fairly well, are quiet and don’t stink. They used them in older motor homes where own heaters were inept too
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #4

I 'm looking into this for boon docking. deer hunting ,elk hunting, fall fishing just getting away in fall or early winter or early spring .Just wanting to see if someone has done this mod. And if they would do if again and if it works good . I like the low power consumption . I think it would be quieter than the lp furnace .
Old 03-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #5

I watch "foresty forest" youtubes. He lives in a van and used to live in a mini-van. In both he installed diesel heaters and details fairly well the install of both. He is very satisfied with both except for the noise from the fuel pump. He just got a new "quiet" fuel pump and will hopefully review it on his next installment.
Also, he installed an HD alternator on the newest van to power the inverter and battery charger for the LiFePo 200 amp hr. battery. His adventures are fun to watch and the photography is excellent. He puts a lot of work into the videos. Plus he has a good sense of humor.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontay View Post
It seems to me the smell of the diesel exhaust would be really bad. It wouldn't be noticed in a truck stop but in a camp ground? Our big motorhome had a diesel generator and when I had to run it for a couple of hours to charge batteries the whole cg around me would smell bad. Usually at night and early morning even in Wyoming the wind dies down so the smell accumulates.
And unless you have a diesel engine it makes another fuel to contend with.
We run huge diesel forced air heaters in our barns all winter. They don't smell at all and put out massive amounts of heat.
If your diesel generator smelled up the entire campground, I'm thinking you had other problems......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #7

thanks this will only be used boon docking when hunting sometimes we smell worse than the diesel would skunk scent , deer urine, other scents .The camp fire would over power anything .Again I'm looking for real world experience with use and install I have watched all the videos I could find . haven't seen any installed in 35' campers yet .Thanks again for your input .
Old 04-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
thanks this will only be used boon docking when hunting sometimes we smell worse than the diesel would skunk scent , deer urine, other scents .The camp fire would over power anything .Again I'm looking for real world experience with use and install I have watched all the videos I could find . haven't seen any installed in 35' campers yet .Thanks again for your input .

I have fitted a 5KW heater to my 2019 CC Champagne 38EFK, I installed it in the front locker, next to the generator and plumbed it’s output duct into the front of my main heating duct.
My reason for the install was as a quiet alternative to the onboard furnace, which has its return air vent in the bedroom and can’t be run at night!
We find the diesel heater to be quiet, reliable and smell free, with a low fuel consumption (80cc/hour at min setting, 400cc/hour on max).
Hitechpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitechpete View Post
I have fitted a 5KW heater to my 2019 CC Champagne 38EFK, I installed it in the front locker, next to the generator and plumbed it’s output duct into the front of my main heating duct.
My reason for the install was as a quiet alternative to the onboard furnace, which has its return air vent in the bedroom and can’t be run at night!
We find the diesel heater to be quiet, reliable and smell free, with a low fuel consumption (80cc/hour at min setting, 400cc/hour on max).
Did you cut one large hole or 2 small holes for intake and exhaust ?
The noise and low fuel consumption like you mentioned is why I was looking into one .
Old 04-15-2021, 02:46 AM   #10

Hi, I cut 2 x 25mm holes, 1 for the combustion air inlet and 1 for the exhaust plus 2 additional 6mm holes for the fuel pipe. I chose to mount the pump inside, next to the heater, hence the second hole (to take the fuel pipe back out). The floor of my front locker is steel plate, if your location is wood etc, i would suggest a “Turret plate and 130mm hole).
Old 04-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Hi, I cut 2 x 25mm holes, 1 for the combustion air inlet and 1 for the exhaust plus 2 additional 6mm holes for the fuel pipe. I chose to mount the pump inside, next to the heater, hence the second hole (to take the fuel pipe back out). The floor of my front locker is steel plate, if your location is wood etc, i would suggest a “Turret plate and 130mm hole).
Thanks for the info . This helps me with the install . I was thinking about the large hole and tig welding a peace of tubing to the mount plate going through wall then making a stainless steel plate to cover the out side .In my mind I think will work Thanks again for the info .
Old 04-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #12

make something like this
Old 04-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #13

Purchase something that a “boat” type person might use to install into a cruiser or such.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #14

On a side note - similar device
I've heard nothing but great things on the Webasto Heaters

https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-u...s/air-heaters/

There are many knock offs, that some have torn out and replaced with a Webasto for various reasons.

Good thing thing they have a Diesel & Gas option.

If you want to install one, based on my research, id pay a little more for the proven Webasto, but to each it's own

2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #15

Webasto produce a great product, but at 10 times the cost of a Chinese diesel heater.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Webasto produce a great product, but at 10 times the cost of a Chinese diesel heater.
and that is your choice , however, when it comes to potential fire hazard, noisy & faulty exhaust or parts availability. I will gladly pay more for a reliable known product and save my pennies elsewhere. Just me ..

https://magazine.rvdaily.com.au/rv-d...-diesel-heater
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #17

RV's have co2 detectors because heater combustion chambers can leak ovens used to long can produce to much co2 water heaters can leak co2 .Life is not safe unless you use some common sense . To much dihydrogen monoxide can kill you not enough can kill you inhaling it can kill you many people have been killed by this chemical over heating it can burn or kill you yet it is the main chemical in our drinking system it is in all the rivers and streams and oceans . I have read people could not get their refrigerators to work because they didn't turn on the propane RTFM . When camping you have to make it as safe as you can . You don't stand in the middle of a bon fire because common sense tells you you will get burned . Anyway just trying to show anything you do has risks . Even using dihydrogen monoxide has it's risks . Just my thoughts
Old 04-17-2021, 03:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
RV's have co2 detectors because heater combustion chambers can leak ovens used to long can produce to much co2 water heaters can leak co2 .Life is not safe unless you use some common sense . To much dihydrogen monoxide can kill you not enough can kill you inhaling it can kill you many people have been killed by this chemical over heating it can burn or kill you yet it is the main chemical in our drinking system it is in all the rivers and streams and oceans . I have read people could not get their refrigerators to work because they didn't turn on the propane RTFM . When camping you have to make it as safe as you can . You don't stand in the middle of a bon fire because common sense tells you you will get burned . Anyway just trying to show anything you do has risks . Even using dihydrogen monoxide has it's risks . Just my thoughts
RV’s actually have CO detectors, but I agree with your statement.
I installed my heater over a year ago, having watched some YouTube videos, it has worked flawlessly for all that time, running for 13 hours a night. As a precaution I installed a CO detector above it in the front locker.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #19

Quote:
RV’s actually have CO detectors, but I agree with your statement.
I installed my heater over a year ago, having watched some YouTube videos, it has worked flawlessly for all that time, running for 13 hours a night. As a precaution I installed a CO detector above it in the front locker.
never thought about co2 detector by heater . dihydrogen monoxide is science name for water I just wanted to see if anyone would catch it . just showing that using water has risks LOL . Thanks for idea about another co2 detector will look into mounting another one .

Tags
diesel, heater