Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

Digital TV in Feb 2009

What are people doing about this issue? I heard that if you have cable, you won't need a tuner box, so you don't need a coupon. Well, I still question that logic. In my home, I have two TV's, one is HD ready (and, High Definition and Digital are not the same thing....) and one is an LCD analog. My cable company recently sent a revised list of channels. So, I rescanned my channels on the HD Ready, and got more channels than what I had before. But when I tried to rescan on the LCD analog, I didn't get those same channels. So, I don't see how they can say you don't need a tuner if you subscribe to cable. I ordered a coupon anyway, because I have an analog TV in the RV and sometimes I have to operate on antena.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I gather we're going to be facing the same thing JJ, but I'm not at all aware of what's happening.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #3

i have been looking at dumping my dish set up and just use reg signals or watch a dvd
i can pull in now 8 or so hd channels and reg signals
all of which are local stations, and pulled em in with my rv ant. and my hdlcd tvi couldnt really tell any difference in quality either.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

If the quality of programming does not improve, I will just set my TVs out by the mailbox with the other trash.

Almost. I still have a lot of VHS and DVD stuff I like.

Radio

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #5

As A television tech, I have many people ask me the same question, the only difference between digital tv and HD tv is the picture qulity, on a digital set they are much cheaper to buy and will pick up the off air ant digital channels as long as it has a digital tuner, the HD sets also has an intergrated ntsc Digital tuner and picks up the off air ant free digital but this will broadcast in 1080i or p, some channels will still only broadcast standard digital, you will notice that picture has black on both sides, on most of the newer sets you can use your format to srtech out your picture. Sales people want you to buy the most expensive set out there so beware, you can get a digital off air box to come out this Feb or march for around 40 bucks, check this out for coupon http://dtvfacts.com/converter-box-coupons/
Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKINWOOD View Post
As A television tech, I have many people ask me the same question, the only difference between digital tv and HD tv is the picture qulity, on a digital set they are much cheaper to buy and will pick up the off air ant digital channels as long as it has a digital tuner, the HD sets also has an intergrated ntsc Digital tuner and picks up the off air ant free digital but this will broadcast in 1080i or p, some channels will still only broadcast standard digital, you will notice that picture has black on both sides, on most of the newer sets you can use your format to srtech out your picture. Sales people want you to buy the most expensive set out there so beware, you can get a digital off air box to come out this Feb or march for around 40 bucks, check this out for coupon http://dtvfacts.com/converter-box-coupons/
thank you
i might have to add you to our GADGET go to guy spot very soon
thanks a million
your posts have not fallen on deaf eyes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #7

I can say I have a bigger screen HDTV in the family room. I have Directv HDTV service. I also use an real EXPENSIVE 29.00 antenna for when weather is bad and sat is down

The antenna from Walmart has a VERY good picture on the local HD channels and I am BEGGING my boss to let me turn off the DTV as there is nothing worth watching anyway.

I dont need a tv anyway. always got the locals on the web

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
thank you
i might have to add you to our GADGET go to guy spot very soon
thanks a million
your posts have not fallen on deaf eyes
I owe a thank you to everybody who has helped me on other issues, I am just glad I can help, So THANKS YOU GUYS AND GALS