Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #1

Dimmer switch makes lights flicker and dim when loaded up

For LED interior ceiling lights, I added a dimmer rheostat* on control panel, drilled a hole in panel, and wired into the back of interior light flip stitch. Works great. Does not control the bathroom light, nor over sink, nor over dining table, which is fine, I can flip those dome lights on or off with center push switch on each as needed, too.

But lately, the dimmer works great for the ceiling lights, but when the fresh water pump comes on, the lights go dim or flicker slightly while the pump runs... or when I open the awning, they all go almost out. Also, the rheostat when dimmed too low or too high causes the lights to flicker, so if i fine tune the knob, it works as it should and lights stay solid. Must have something to do with amp draw and LED sensitivity or starving for juice.

Ive read that 12V batteries have a declining output, so the LED lights may have a sensitive range of needed voltage, I suppose this is whats happening, but do other people get the same issues? I dont remember the flickering when I installed it 6 mos ago. Thats what bothers me is why its changed. Anyone else have this happen??

* Dimmer:
https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Dimmer-L...dimmer&sr=8-55

By the way, a great hack I have found is to use velcro dots with sticky backs, and hang a bleached Melitta Coffee filter over bathroom ceiling dome. Looks like a fancy Ikea lampshade !

Also, I put a round cutout of a coffee filter in the dome light over table and it reduces the glare. I think the LED gives out a minimal amount of heat, and the center where the push button and light sit, I cut filter out, like a donut hole, and there is no contact or excessive heat to cause a fire (i hope).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	242558   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	242559  
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:24 PM   #2

Its a PWM dimmer. From the reviews if using without the ground you will get flicker. You can either determine which wire is the ground for the lights if you didnt use it and add it or replace with a different dimmer as I believe this is your point of failure.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treybecky View Post

But lately, the dimmer works great for the ceiling lights, but when the fresh water pump comes on, the lights go dim or flicker slightly while the pump runs... or when I open the awning, they all go almost out.
The water pump has the same 12 volt hot side feed that the lights have most the time. If you run a 2nd feed for the lights or pump the dimmer will work just fine. Not sure why , but most these manufactures run one hot feed to control the lights and pump. When the pump runs the dimmer lights flickers every time. I have seen post on other forums that had the same issue and running that new feed fixed the issue.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:53 PM   #4

I have the same dimmer on the interior ceiling lights as well as the awning lights. I had a problem with flicker until I corrected the wiring as described by dbledan. Now they work well.

In the end it may be necessary to add a new feed as described by ScopesNC but I'd try revising the wiring at the switch before undertaking the larger project.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treybecky View Post
For LED interior ceiling lights, I added a dimmer rheostat* on control panel, drilled a hole in panel, and wired into the back of interior light flip stitch. Works great. Does not control the bathroom light, nor over sink, nor over dining table, which is fine, I can flip those dome lights on or off with center push switch on each as needed, too.

But lately, the dimmer works great for the ceiling lights, but when the fresh water pump comes on, the lights go dim or flicker slightly while the pump runs... or when I open the awning, they all go almost out. Also, the rheostat when dimmed too low or too high causes the lights to flicker, so if i fine tune the knob, it works as it should and lights stay solid. Must have something to do with amp draw and LED sensitivity or starving for juice.

Ive read that 12V batteries have a declining output, so the LED lights may have a sensitive range of needed voltage, I suppose this is whats happening, but do other people get the same issues? I dont remember the flickering when I installed it 6 mos ago. Thats what bothers me is why its changed. Anyone else have this happen??

* Dimmer:
https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Dimmer-L...dimmer&sr=8-55

By the way, a great hack I have found is to use velcro dots with sticky backs, and hang a bleached Melitta Coffee filter over bathroom ceiling dome. Looks like a fancy Ikea lampshade !

Also, I put a round cutout of a coffee filter in the dome light over table and it reduces the glare. I think the LED gives out a minimal amount of heat, and the center where the push button and light sit, I cut filter out, like a donut hole, and there is no contact or excessive heat to cause a fire (i hope).
Do you have a photo of the dimmer location? Would like to do this to mine. Thx
bwag1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #6

I’m interested in seeing the back of the panel and what and how you connected the switch.
ffej58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #7

dimmer switch

Camper is not here, at the ranch... if I can get pics next weekend, I will post them, thx for the help. The outside lights when turned on on (the amber solo porch light, or the LED strip under the awning, both make all the interior lights go way dim while the outside is on. Has'nt tripped any breakers , yet.

hmmm ?
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:32 PM   #8

Since the OP said it used to work fine, I'd question if the batteries are starting to fade (low voltage/capacity would be an issue when things like the water pump and awning are used).
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, switch