Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 11:34 AM   #1

Dinette cushions fixed! No more sliding!

The Cherokee 38P has the classic two-facing-benches-and-a-table dinette. I've become annoyed that every time I slide out of the bench, I take the bottom cushion with me. Then I have to lift out the back cushion, place the bottom cushion, and return the back cushion.

I didn't want a permanent or semi-permanent solution. I hit on the idea of finding a nice, tacky drawer liner to place beneath the cushion, onto the plywood surface. The cushion was about 20" deep and most of the drawer liners I found were 12" wide. But I found this great 18" wide stuff at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. The link happens to be to the white offering; I actually got "Graphite." Color really doesn't matter since it's not visible.

Hint: It's real easy to find 20% off coupons for Bed, Bath, and Beyond which sweetens the deal.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:56 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

I have same annoying problem. Drawer liner. Thanks for tip.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #3

My Surveyor 19bhle seat back cushions have velcro on the cushion and the seat, and they are supposed to meet up and not move easily. When I got the TT the velcro didn’t line up real well (which made the cushions always move around) so I added more to them to make them more stable. I haven’t had an issue with the bottom cushions moving around but if I did then I would add some velcro strips to the bottom ones too. Your liner is a good idea too, albeit a slightly more expensive one.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
Always Learning

We ended up spray gluing the liner to the plywood base because we found that when the kids got in and out of that area, they didn't ensure it was laying nice and flat.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #5

Just got back from Ace Hardware grabbing a bucket. I'm headed back to the store! Great idea and tip. That has always bugged me in every RV we have had.

2021 Surveyor 203rkle
2018 Chevy Silverado
Fastway e2 Hitch
wyodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #6

18" wide"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyodrums View Post
Just got back from Ace Hardware grabbing a bucket. I'm headed back to the store! Great idea and tip. That has always bugged me in every RV we have had.
I don't know if Ace has the 18" wide stuff. I had to search for a bit to find anything wider than 12". The 10' x 18" roll I got was just about ideal. Enough for two 42" benches with only a yard left over.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:31 PM   #7

We were constantly repositioning the bottom sitting cushions too. I added long strips of 2" wide velcro on the cushions and on to the plywood base. That worked perfectly. Everything in its place!
Old 07-31-2021, 02:10 PM   #8

My '07 Forester came with the Velcro sewn to the cushion bottoms, with a corresponding strip stapled to the plywood beneath. They do move slightly, but not to the extent you're talking about.
bukhrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I don't know if Ace has the 18" wide stuff. I had to search for a bit to find anything wider than 12". The 10' x 18" roll I got was just about ideal. Enough for two 42" benches with only a yard left over.

They did! We have a little Ace here, but never disappoints! They didn’t have a 10’ roll, but had 5’ rolls x 18” for $3.99 each. I’ll get it put in tomorrow! Thanks for the tip/hack on sliding seat cushions.

2021 Surveyor 203rkle
2018 Chevy Silverado
Fastway e2 Hitch
wyodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #10

I found some really good shelf liners at Home Depot that are 20" wide. Used Girilla Glue spray glue and sprayed the plywood before putting it down. Works great.
Trek Fuel EX7 gen 5
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:58 PM   #11

Sorry *Gorilla
Trek Fuel EX7 gen 5
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:00 PM   #12

I used the Velcro method on our last rv and will do the same to our new one. I put one side on the bottom of the cushion then fasten to opposing strip to it, peel off the protective backing exposing the sticky side and carefully put the cushion where it belongs so it doesn’t have to be moved. That way the Velcro lines up perfectly. No more sliding cushions.😊
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinette