Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #1

Dinette Seat Foam Firmness

It's time to replace the foam on the dinette cushions as they now sink down to the plywood. I'm not sure what original FR density or firmness it came with, so we're trying to decide which to choose. The options are 4" medium, firm, and extra firm. We are average weight 120 & 170# just wondering others opinions. Thanks in advance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Densit...-/263084419000
Old 02-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Always Learning

I have bought foam a couple of times from The Foam Factory/Foam by Mail. When I had questions about what thickness or firmness, they were very helpful on the telephone.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:52 PM   #3
Retired Old Fart

Not sure if it's the same company as in the above post, but I'm bought several times from "THE FOAM FACTORY" but at a different URL. I'm very satisfied with them. This is the URL I've always used. I'm going to replace the foam in my dinette and sofa cushions with better quality soon also. Check your cushions, as they probably will zip off and you just need foam cut to fit to upgrade them. This is the link I've been using (but I do think it is the same business)

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/

I would probably look at their Lux HQ foam or the Super Max foam for indoor seating cushions.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:53 AM   #4

Thanks for the interesting links! We are replacing our foam cushions as well, in additional to adding 6' to the height of the back cushion.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #5

Stock sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Check your cushions, as they probably will zip off and you just need foam cut to fit to upgrade them. This is the link I've been using (but I do think it is the same business).
Might be cheaper to buy stock sizes in the right thickness.

Snap chalk lines to mark where you need to cut. Cut with an electric knife, the kind you use in the kitchen with the two counter-reciprocating blades. It's as easy as cutting soft butter. Vacuum off the surplus chalk after cutting.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #6

A trick to get the foam in the upholstery is to use dry cleaning bags over the foam before inserting. You can rip it out after.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Traveling Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
A trick to get the foam in the upholstery is to use dry cleaning bags over the foam before inserting. You can rip it out after.
Or just take to upholster for recommendation. Cost is minimal for them to do it. Have had them to it twice with two trailers. Manufacturers use the cheap stuff.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #8

Just had mine done at an upholstery shop, beter gade of foam much firma and cost me $225.00 for the 2 seats and 2 backs, was worth it.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
Just had mine done at an upholstery shop, beter gade of foam much firma and cost me $225.00 for the 2 seats and 2 backs, was worth it.
That's not a bad price. It looks like I paid about $175 6 years ago to redo the u-shaped dinette foam (just the 3 seat bottoms) on my rig.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #10

we just replaced all of the the foam in our U shaped dinette seats. we got the Lux HQ from the foam factory. I purchased a sheet of it for $167.00. I traced the pieces with a sharpie and than cut with an electric fillet knife. Huge difference. we have about a 1/3 sheet left over, but will find something to do with it. we did not do the backs, just the 3 seats and the extra piece that you add when converting to a bed.
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty edition 279RLDSLE
2014 F150 Ecoboost Supercrew with Max Tow
Billorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

We took our cushions for the dinette to an automobile reupholster business after only one year of having our motorhome.
The density of the backs were fine, but like it’s mentioned here, we could feel the plywood while seated.

Come think of it.....next time you’re at an RV show.....sit down in their dinette area and concentrate.....I’ll bet you feel the plywood even with new rigs. We’re so quick to “bounce” around checking things, we don’t typically notice the density of the cushions, sofa, dinette or the bed.

All of these seem to be a topic of discussion eventually.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #12
Traveling Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
We took our cushions for the dinette to an automobile reupholster business after only one year of having our motorhome.
The density of the backs were fine, but like it’s mentioned here, we could feel the plywood while seated.

Come think of it.....next time you’re at an RV show.....sit down in their dinette area and concentrate.....I’ll bet you feel the plywood even with new rigs. We’re so quick to “bounce” around checking things, we don’t typically notice the density of the cushions, sofa, dinette or the bed.

All of these seem to be a topic of discussion eventually.
Forest River allowed us to have the foam replaced (under warranty) in the dinette cushions in our first two Surveyors. Our current Surveyor's cushions were better quality. No issues.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #13

I have owned several RVs and the problem with the foam in the dinette cushions has always been that they are really firm and not that comfortable for sleeping. Adding an inflatable backpacking style pad with foam really helps a lot and is easy to store.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #14

As a followup, we installed the Extra Firm foam on the two dinette seat cushions. After two camping trips we are happy with the choice.

The online purchase was easy as was cutting to size with an electric knife. Stuffing into the place was a little more challenging but managable. We even have a 2'x2' piece left over for another project.

As for sleeping on them we'll have to wait until our Daughter goes with us this summer.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #15

After 4 years I felt like I was sitting in a hole. Had them redone with q better foam, felt more firm last 3 week trip we took but time will tell. Actually, not the most comfortable seating to begin with.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote