Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

Direct TV satellite install

I have direct TV at home and want a tripod set up for our 2012 Berkshire. Once I get the tripod set up how do I hook it up to my internal system?

I've heard a few suggestions but they involve running a line through the window set up.

Isn't there a jack that I can access from the outside??

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
billy2458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #2

My has a satellite jack on the outside of mine. Not that I had to use it. Have a roof mounted dish.

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #3

where are the jacks located?
billy2458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy2458 View Post
where are the jacks located?
The satellite connection is almost always right next to, above or below the cable connection.

Bruce
Old 09-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #5

highly recommend the HD tripod setup from

Heavy-Duty Combo Package for RV TV Satellite Dish

I can have my HD DirecTV receiver hooked up and ready to watch in 10 minutes. If you follow their instructions, you can hit the sat link the first time every time with no tweaking necessary. Couple this with the Dishpointer APP for your smartphone which will show you the spot through tree cover to set the dish and you are all set.

Getting the tripod perfectly level is the hard part of setting up your dish, and their tripod makes that very easy to do.

Very happy with my setup and very happy with TV4RV.com personal service answering my pre-sale questions.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

Don't use the cable jack if you have an over the air tv amplifier...you need an unamped line to work with DTV. You might be OK if you have both cable and sat jacks.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #7

I had the roof mounted dome on my last RV, now I have the tripod and doom. I don't care if they park me under a tree, it's easy to move and fine reception.

On the street side of my Cherokee I have two inlets, one for cable and one for satellite and the same inside on my entertainment center.
Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #8

If you don't have a separate satellite hookup you'll have to go in through the window.
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #9

Some like mine, have a park cable and satellite hook If you use park/antenna, need to turn off booster at internal hook up
wrt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #10

I use this on mine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018B...9CYV8N86CTN19X

Put it inside the wall just before the antenna amp splitter, and run a seperate wall jack for the satellite box, then hdmi cable from the box to tv.

If im at a place that has cable, then it works like it would normally. No cable, then i hook up my dish to the cable input on the trailer and use that.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
highly recommend the HD tripod setup from

Heavy-Duty Combo Package for RV TV Satellite Dish

I can have my HD DirecTV receiver hooked up and ready to watch in 10 minutes. If you follow their instructions, you can hit the sat link the first time every time with no tweaking necessary. Couple this with the Dishpointer APP for your smartphone which will show you the spot through tree cover to set the dish and you are all set.

Getting the tripod perfectly level is the hard part of setting up your dish, and their tripod makes that very easy to do.

Very happy with my setup and very happy with TV4RV.com personal service answering my pre-sale questions.
Ditto to this setup! Only way to get it right the first time...
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #12

A lot depends on how your rig is wired. If you have a cable input jack in the electrical compartment that goes to a switchbox then you can use that cable for your DTV antenna if it's RG6 cable. Disconnect the cable from the switchbox and run it to the DTV receiver or the DTV SWM power supply box. You'll still have the problem of getting the HDMI signal from the DTV box to the TV.

In my Georgetown, the "cable input" cable from the rear compartment goes to the common side of an A/B switch One side of the switch goes to the FR supplied switchbox (antenna, cable, aux), the other to the SWM power brick. When I'm hooked up to a park's cable system, the signal from the cable is fed to the switchbox then to the TVs in the unit. When I'm using the satellite receiver, the A/B switch connects the cable to the SWM power supply which then connects to the receiver.

The HDMI signal from the DTV receiver is fed to an ActionTec HDMI over wifi transmitter which feeds two receivers, one for each TV. I am limited to watching the same program on both TVs at the same time but since they're only 15' apart, there'd be audio interference between them if they were playing different programs.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite