Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2022, 09:24 AM   #1

Dometic garbage a/c shrouds DYI

as we all realize, the non UV resistant a/c shrouds are cheap plastic, flimsy and grossly overpriced for more replacement garbage ... as in nearly $200 per cover... If you live in a sunny climate you'll get 2 years or less out of the cover (black) because they begin to melt around the a/c components...ask me how I know.. As for the white shrouds, they last longer but will eventually decay.... my solution.. Raptor Liner on the shrouds when they are "new"... many colors and the base 1 liter kit (tintable is @$60)...

I sprayed my yesterday in standard GM white, a bit heavy on the coats and 1 day later a huge improvement in the durability and strength...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_101250.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	514.3 KB
ID:	271110  
BERZERKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:59 PM   #2

Never understood putting black covers on the AC units, might "look cool", however black AC covers increase heat load on the condensing unit which is counterproductive/decreases efficiency.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:35 AM   #3
Canadian Member

It would be much cheaper and faster to just coat it in 303 Aerospace Protectant once a year while you’re on the roof inspecting and touching up the self-levelling caulking.

I do agree that a black cover will be more problematic. BTW, its not the assemblers who decide what colour the cover is. The designers make that call based on aesthetics and you’ll never see a unit get the wrong colour AC shroud just because they are short on parts that day.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:00 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
Never understood putting black covers on the AC units, might "look cool", however black AC covers increase heat load on the condensing unit which is counterproductive/decreases efficiency.

The assemblers at FR have no authority to make those decisions whatsoever. The shrouds come on the unit from the factory. The units are purchased by the thousands by the manufacturing branch of FR. The assemblers simply install what is available to them.

I certainly understand some of the quality issues seen in the R/V manufacturing business makes folks question things.

I applaud your ingenuity of coating the shroud.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The shrouds come on the unit from the factory. The units are purchased by the thousands by the manufacturing branch of FR. The assemblers simply install what is available to them.
Taint necessarily so. My unit has the full body paint job and the AC shrouds were white from the factory but were painted to match the body scheme color.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:29 AM   #6

unfortunately glorified Armor All will not last in the brutal Florida sun.. the shroud will still melt...
BERZERKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Taint necessarily so. My unit has the full body paint job and the AC shrouds were white from the factory but were painted to match the body scheme color.
Guess I don't understand what "'taint so?"

Your unit came with a shroud that was installed by factory workers when they set the unit on the roof.

If it was painted after assembly, that still isn't the assemblers fault that it isn't the color that suits some of the folks on here.

Reread my post...
Quote:
The shrouds come on the unit from the factory. The units are purchased by the thousands by the manufacturing branch of FR. The assemblers simply install what is available to them.
Where did I ever say the assemblers are changing or deciding the color of the shroud?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Guess I don't understand what "'taint so?"

Your unit came with a shroud that was installed by factory workers when they set the unit on the roof.
If it was painted after assembly, that still isn't the assemblers fault that it isn't the color that suits some of the folks on here.
Reread my post...
Where did I ever say the assemblers are changing or deciding the color of the shroud?
Said "necessarily so" and it was in reference to the unit coming from the factory as installed and maybe I misinterpreted that. The shrouds (delivered white) are not painted after installation and probably in batches from which an installer (or possibly a lead) would select per documentation. I agree that the installers have no say so as to what is supposed to be installed on a unit. Sorry.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #9

Can you explain how you removed the shroud?
Fancy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:43 AM   #10

Roof plastic

Plastic on roofs no matter what color degrades and get's brittle from the sun.I paint them and A/C shroud's with the "cool coat" that's sold at Home Depot. Reflect's the heat and makes a difference as I live in Arizona.
deplorablemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:48 AM   #11

maybe it was because I used to lived in PA, but I have never had to replace an AC shroud. And as far as color affecting operation, when the AC comes on there is a fan forcing air through the external unit, it don't mater what color it is.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic