Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #1

Engine Oil By-Pass Filter

I don’t know if this is the correct forum to ask his question but I going to take a chance. I own a 2020 Isata 3 24RWM on a 2017 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500. I would like to know if by installing a by-pass oil filter on the engine would extend the life of my engine.
djbiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbiz1 View Post
I don’t know if this is the correct forum to ask his question but I going to take a chance. I own a 2020 Isata 3 24RWM on a 2017 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500. I would like to know if by installing a by-pass oil filter on the engine would extend the life of my engine.
The more oil that by-passes the more oil that doesn't get filtered . the by-pass is designed to allow oil flow under certain conditions , cold thick oil , clogged filter , etc .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
The more oil that by-passes the more oil that doesn't get filtered . the by-pass is designed to allow oil flow under certain conditions , cold thick oil , clogged filter , etc .
I think you are confusing what OP is asking about. What you are taking about are factory filters and mounts that have a spring loaded bypass valve that makes sure the engine gets enough oil, even if the filter is clogged... by bypassing the filter.

OP is asking about an add on bypass filter sytem (not the bypass valve in the factory filter head), which sounds the same but is not. An add on bypass takes a small amount of oil "bypassing" the regular filter" and filters it a lot better/to a smaller micron rating than the regular filter and returns it to the engine, the factory filter, or one like it, is left installed. Unlike the "bypass valve" in the factory filter, it does not allow unfiltered oil to circulate in the system. If a bypass filter gets clogged, it's no big deal as all the oil will go through the regular filter just like if there wasn't a bypass filter.

Most heavy diesels, like semi rigs are equiped with a bypass filter to scrub the small stuf like soot from the oil.

To OP's question. Yes, a proper bypass filter sytem can extend the life of an engine. But like many things, there are a lot of other factors at play too, driving style, loads, how well the engine is serviced, type of oil, etc.

If you are like me and big into keeping an engine as long as possible, a bypass filter system can be a good tool in a well managed maintenece program.

On the other side if you are the typical American vehicle owner that only keeps a new vehicle around 100k miles... then it probably is not worth the expense to add one.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbiz1 View Post
If the vehicle is in warrantee I would not recommend this. The recommended lubricants and OEM filters today are enough to handle the service intervals the manufacture has in place.
FordMastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMastertech View Post
If the vehicle is in warrantee I would not recommend this. The recommended lubricants and OEM filters today are enough to handle the service intervals the manufacture has in place.
Ditto. Changing oil and filter is the best way to extend engine life.

Many people install bypass filters in the mistaken belief they will extend the interval between oil changes. Todays modern motor oils contain many additives that each have a purpose. Neutralizing acids formed by products of combustion that reach the crankcase is one of these(but not the only one). Unless the oil is changed the additive package is not replenished and damage can begin.

Save the money for a bypass filter and put it toward regular oil changes.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #6
FLY4FUN

Oil is cheap...well, compared to the cost of premature engine wear. Change oil and filter at least as mfgr. recommends or sooner. Some filters are relatively easy to access, too, so that changing the filter with a few ounces of new oil "between oil changes" may be a good practice, too. ...did I mention that oil is cheap? My rides routinely go well past 250,000 miles. I don't like to see "dirty" oil. (New clean oil is cheap )
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
I think you are confusing what OP is asking about. What you are taking about are factory filters and mounts that have a spring loaded bypass valve that makes sure the engine gets enough oil, even if the filter is clogged... by bypassing the filter.

OP is asking about an add on bypass filter sytem (not the bypass valve in the factory filter head), which sounds the same but is not. An add on bypass takes a small amount of oil "bypassing" the regular filter" and filters it a lot better/to a smaller micron rating than the regular filter and returns it to the engine, the factory filter, or one like it, is left installed. Unlike the "bypass valve" in the factory filter, it does not allow unfiltered oil to circulate in the system. If a bypass filter gets clogged, it's no big deal as all the oil will go through the regular filter just like if there wasn't a bypass filter.

Most heavy diesels, like semi rigs are equiped with a bypass filter to scrub the small stuf like soot from the oil.

To OP's question. Yes, a proper bypass filter sytem can extend the life of an engine. But like many things, there are a lot of other factors at play too, driving style, loads, how well the engine is serviced, type of oil, etc.

If you are like me and big into keeping an engine as long as possible, a bypass filter system can be a good tool in a well managed maintenece program.

On the other side if you are the typical American vehicle owner that only keeps a new vehicle around 100k miles... then it probably is not worth the expense to add one.
You're right i was thinking the by-pass built into the filter . not a second filter install .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:21 PM   #8
Hank

Buy pass oilfilter

Yes their are some very good buy pass oil filters. These work with the original oil filter and buy pass only a small % of the engine oil through a high dense material with no impact on the operation of the original full flow filter. Keeping the oil cleaner will defiantly extend your engine life.
These filters are designed to keep the oil in like new condition.
Hank
Henry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:23 PM   #9

Bypass filters can remove soot down to 2 microns. It doesn’t mean one has to extend the change intervals all though it can. Amsoil sells one you can read about it on their website.
Gail Banks bought new 6.7 Ford Diesel and found it was putting soot in the oil. He called Amsoil and got one likely free. So check his website also. Most big rigs use Eco-Pure units, they go as much as 50,000 and spend a few bucks on analysis checks. If TBN gets low then they add some base.
To the original question yes, those 3.0 MB are pretty dirty inside, I have had some apart so I know. EGR is what makes them that way.
If you change your own with that engine always remove the old filter and clean the housing before draining the crankcase.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:52 PM   #10

I've got the problematic Superduty 6.0. One thing the bypass filter does is to help keep the injectors from clogging. Injectors for my truck would cost thousands to replace. The other thing it does is increase the oil capacity of the truck. Oil runs a bit cooler and a bit cleaner. With the nasty EGR putting contaminants into your oil, and fragile injectors, it seems like cheap insurance. Good oil isn't cheap, but is worth every penny. I run nothing but full synthetic. They've run big rigs 1,000,000 miles without changing the synthetic oil (with regular filter changes). In my cars, I change the oil once a year whether it needs it or not.