Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #1

Equa-Flex Maintenance

My Vengeance has the Equa-Flex suspension system. I want to extend the life of everything there to avoid problems down the road. Right now, the camper has 3184 miles plus the distance from the factory to the dealership in Md.

Should I go with wet bolts? I see something called "never fail bushings" but not sure if they'll work with my Equa-Flex system.

What's the opinion of those with more knowledge about this than I have?
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
Retired

I've been looking at the Never Fail bushings. I like the idea on zero maintenance and yes they work with Equa Flex.

http://www.lci1.com/never-fail

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
Should I go with wet bolts? I see something called "never fail bushings" but not sure if they'll work with my Equa-Flex system?

Don't know if you're still following this thread but..... just to let you know I was wrong about these never fail bushings working with Equa-Flex equalizers..

I bought them where I found the equalizer bushings are brass and are slightly smaller than the 11/16" OD Never Fail bushing so they won't push in.

You would think a Lippert bushing would fit into a Lippert equalizer?

My 2 year old bushings were toast and the brass ones fell out of the equalizers in pieces. The rest of the equalizer are in pretty bad shape too so I gotta replace them both.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #4

I am definitely still following this thread. Thanks for the follow-up.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Canadian Member

Would it be better to switch from the Lippert suspension to a MORryde or Dexter product? Lippert doesn't have a great reputation even though they are used extensively in the RV industry. Also consider adding shock absorbers if its within budget.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Would it be better to switch from the Lippert suspension to a MORryde or Dexter product? Lippert doesn't have a great reputation even though they are used extensively in the RV industry. Also consider adding shock absorbers if its within budget.
Yes... I agree with everything you said.

I'm not that impressed with these Lippert Equa-Flex equalizers and the jury is now out if the Never Fail bushings live up to what they say but their track record has me thinking I'll be doing this again more sooner than later.

I would have liked to replace them with Dexter E-Z Flex equalizers but we're heading out to the warm sunny South this weekend and it would have taken too long to get them in so we had to make what we got work.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
I am definitely still following this thread. Thanks for the follow-up.
Little update for a FYI...

I spoke with Lippert to ask why their bushings didn't fit into their equalizer where they told me they now install Never Fail bushings in all the Equa-Flex equalizers. The brass bushings are too soft and wear out as fast as the cheap nylon ones.... <<<<<< That I believe.

So.... because there's snow on the ground here, I have a suspension shop doing the replacement so they tried to press the Never Fail bushings in the Equal-Flex and it went in... downside was it's now squeezed in that the 9/16" bolt won't go in so they reamed the bushing slightly so it worked...

I'm less of a fan of Lippert products right now than I was a week ago..

Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDually View Post
Little update for a FYI...

I spoke with Lippert to ask why their bushings didn't fit into their equalizer where they told me they now install Never Fail bushings in all the Equa-Flex equalizers. The brass bushings are too soft and wear out as fast as the cheap nylon ones.... <<<<<< That I believe.

So.... because there's snow on the ground here, I have a suspension shop doing the replacement so they tried to press the Never Fail bushings in the Equal-Flex and it went in... downside was it's now squeezed in that the 9/16" bolt won't go in so they reamed the bushing slightly so it worked...

I'm less of a fan of Lippert products right now than I was a week ago..

As an old machine repair person I can say it is common practice to ream bushings to size after pressing them in. The interference fit keeps them from rotating in the suspension parts.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #9

I also had to ream the equalizer to insert brass bushings then ream the bushing so grease would flow thru the wet bolt. Now that so many of us are doing this upgrade, reaming parts sounds more like a normal procedure for a suspension shop or a machinest expert, I just felt like a genius when it worked.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #10

If Lippert is now installing the Never Fail bushings in the Equal-Flex units, what are they using in the remainder of the suspension? When did they start doing this? How do we know what we have? We visited the Cedar Creek factory in November and they were installing wet bolts in all units.

We have a PDI on a new unit the 4th of March. More questions to ask. The unit was built in November 2016.

I find the bushing failure issue to be unacceptable, from what is posted, 3000 mile failure is commonplace. For a few dollars more, certainly under $100.00 they could install the Never Fail Bushings, This is a no brainier.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #11
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
If Lippert is now installing the Never Fail bushings in the Equal-Flex units, what are they using in the remainder of the suspension? When did they start doing this? How do we know what we have? We visited the Cedar Creek factory in November and they were installing wet bolts in all units.

We have a PDI on a new unit the 4th of March. More questions to ask. The unit was built in November 2016.

I find the bushing failure issue to be unacceptable, from what is posted, 3000 mile failure is commonplace. For a few dollars more, certainly under $100.00 they could install the Never Fail Bushings, This is a no brainier.
All I can say is my trailer is a 2015 where what was left of bronze bushings fell out of the equalizers. Lippert didn't give me any date when they changed over.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Sus.../LC279688.html

I agree 100% it's not acceptable to put in the crap that they do when it's literally worn out when the unit is transported from the factory to the dealer.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #12

RubyDually -- were you pleased with the Equa-Flex this season? I need to replace my worn-out Dexter E-ZFlex and am about to pull the trigger on the Equa-Flex. I like that it will raise the camper slightly (1-2").
I am hoping to use my current wet-bolts and shackles that are on the unit now with the E-ZFlex.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
mekkerlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #13

For what its worth, I did the bushing swap this summer. It wasn't too bad since the suspension had about 3500 miles on it. I went two-fold: never fail bushings plus wet bolts where I could. Can't really tell a difference but that's to be expected. As long as it lasts many thousands of miles, I'm happy.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #14

I put this kit on on my spread axle 320bhds 3 years ago. My cupboard doors use to pop open while traveling now they don't. These raised my camper 1/2"-1".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #15

So I bought and received the Equa-Flex.
I'd like to try this installation myself.
I have no problems doing the work. What I am worried about is what other parts I need. Ie Bushings!
I currently have wet-bolts and decent shackles, so I would like to re-use those.

Can anyone help me determine what else I need?!

I talked with Lippert this morning, and they were no help. One person telling me to use the never fail bushings with the current wet-bolts I have. And another guy telling me to definitely NOT use those two in combination.

What should I be measuring to figure out what sizes I need?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #16

I'd give etrailer a call or email. They were actually fairly helpful when I first emailed at the start of this bushing swap. The guy seemed to be quite knowledgable about what I needed.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #17

Update:

So a few weeks ago I tried installing the new Equa-Flex equalizers on the camper. I wasn't able to cause it would not fit with the leaf springs accurately. So I decided to put everything back together, and scheduled an appointment at a trailer shop (not an RV shop). These guys specifically work on trailers/campers from the frame down; and they said they would install the equalizers I purchased from elsewhere.

Well after a lot of back and forth with them, and about $900 later, they got them installed. They had to use longer shackles to make it work, as it turns out the leaf hangers weren't long enough to use the shackle length I had on there.

This unfortunately, made it so that I did not get the ~1" raise I was hoping for...which is the whole reason I went with the Equa-Flex over the EZ-Flex.

The ride home, I still experienced lots of chucking...I partially attribute that to very light pin weight cause the camper is winterized and empty. I was truly hoping the new equalizer would take away some of the chucking...but now I am thinking the Mor-yde pin box is in my near future.

Thank you for all the help and information!
Things don't always go as planned.
Not the results I hoped for. WAAAYYY more expensive than I had planned, cause I couldn't get it done myself.

Tags
maintenance