Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The unit comes with a vent shut off that is operated from inside. No need for the outer flap.
I thought that was understood, OC. However, when stored I am going to cut to fit, a piece of foam rubber and slip it into the vent opening to keep out wasps and mud daubers, that let me live on their property.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #22

Just finished the SAM-1 install and we are very happy. I kept the original outside vent, removed the flapper and siliconed a piece of bug screen to the vent after removing it from the RV wall, then reinstalling after the RTV dried. Follow the instructions carefully. I first wired red to red & black to black, then realized I was not reading the directions. Red to black was called for on the instruction sheet then all worked well. Don't try to operate without the grease screen installed or the small switch won't allow the fan to activate. Take the time to caulk the extra space around the wall vent hole that Forest River cut out with a large router bit. Potential energy loss in this area averted with a 6oz tube of silicone. I also reversed the position of the switches on the front of the range hood to match the function of the SAM-1. Great product FOP!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I thought that was understood, OC. However, when stored I am going to cut to fit, a piece of foam rubber and slip it into the vent opening to keep out wasps and mud daubers, that let me live on their property.
Just fabricate a pc of screen wire to fit the bottom of the vent and you don't have to remove anything to use the fan.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #24

That would be better OC. I need to get more screen.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #25

Resopening this thread since a search didn't show anything as relevant any newer. I'm wondering why the fan upgrade doesn't get more mentions here?

I just installed the Fabulous Operating Products exhaust fan upgrade kit in my Windjammer. Luckily, I had the existing fan that is the easy install. It took me less than an hour. I was really surprised to see the original fan and motor-- the motor is barely bigger than some of the slot-car motors I played with as a kid.

In my install, the fan isn't as quiet as some describe but it isn't as noisy as the original fan even with the upgrade running on high. It does move a good quantity of air! Looking forward to being able to use the inside stove in seasons other than winter.

The only issue I had was that the wiring on my original installation had the power leads for the fan and light reversed. The FOP instructions expected the fan switch to be first in the chain. When I first tested, the light switch controlled the fan and the fan switch controlled the light! I was able to pop the switches out and rearrange the connectors so the switches were correct with only a little extra effort.

The full process took a little over an hour... mostly because I spent a lot of time trying to look at the small figures in the instructions. For the price of the product, the installation instructions could be a lot better. Like others, rather than install the replacement outside vent cover I removed the damper on the existing vent cover. That seems to give me a pretty good airflow.

I think this will be a good addition to the camper. I "wish" that the original exhaust had been of better quality. For an over-the-stove exhaust fan this is pretty expensive, but if you want to cook inside it is almost an essential upgrade.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote