Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #1

Forest River 21ssl Rockwood Roo

Mattress for my 2012 Forest River 21ssl
Hey everyone! I’m a newly widowed 65 year old woman, just sold our 32ft class C Motorhome, purchased my new Roo, I’m so excited! I was running into issues NOT being the “designated normal driver” of the motorhome, on my “maiden voyage” with it (for my husbands Celebration of Life in the mountains) I backed into a stump, trees and debris crashing the back end of the motorhome.. (Then found out my Insurance Co. STILL had it listed as “in storage”, NO comprehensive) Pissed cause due to Covid and telling them my husband passed away, (Long conversation about heart attacks) she did not take it out of storage, when I KNOW the only reason I called them was to “take it out of storage”, I’m SO upset, I canceled them immediately! I immediately decided to buy a smaller simpler toy hauler camper, ONE piece! As I know my husband would want me to continue with what “we” loved to do, camping and ATVing! The first problem I KNOW is, I’m going to need a different mattress in my new Roo! I’ve had major back surgery and need something a little more comfortable than the one that comes with it. Ok this was a long way to ask my questions but: can I purchase a different thicker mattress? I know it folds in 1/3, so been “googling” any company that does custom, and they cost anywhere from $500 up! Can I purchase the “rollable or foldable mattresses then just put it on top of factory made mattress or will the door not close up tightly? Any suggestion will be welcomed! I cannot be the ONLY person that wants a more comfortable sleeping mattress! And how deep can I go, 6”, 8” etc? Is there anything I can add to the mattress that WILL fold up with the bed? Thank you, Terri
Terricolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #2

I had a 21ss for a few years. I cut a 2" foam topper to fit the bunk mattress and it worked ok unless you were on the lip between the bunk and the storage area.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #3

You can put a topper on it that you like. However, you will probably have to remove it each time you fold up the bunk so it will close.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #4
rbq

You can order toppers for the mattress. Look for and order a short queen topper. By ordering the short queen you don't have to cut anything & they fit the mattresses perfectly. I have one for each of my 3 mattresses in my Roo. They are only 1 1/2" toppers, but do make a difference. I just fold them in third and stow them on the table when traveling. Then when I put down the bed it is easy to set them on the bed and unfold them. If you order one be sure & get it so that you can allow them to decompress to their normal size & shape. It takes several days for them to decompress. When they come you wonder what kind of nut cut them as they are all compressed & misshapen, but once they decompress they are perfect shape & size.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:07 AM   #5

The mattress that came wth my 2009 ROO is 5" thick. It was absolutely the worst mattress I have ever slept on. We found a 1.5" eggshell mattress and used it for a topper. But if we left it on the bed, it made it difficult to close the bunk. We finally found a foam mattress that we liked and got rid of the old mattress. We haven't done it, but if you needed to, you could cut the mattress where it needs to fold. We find it folds without the cut. Foam companies will make a composite mattress to size for you with harder foam underneath, glued to a softer foam on top. I'm always surprised at the cost of foam. We tried a memory foam mattress, and it was so soft we felt the board underneath.

I have found that a 6' piece of 3/4" metal electrical conduit makes folding the bunk much easier. I lift the bunk enough to put the pipe under it (centered on a snap so it can't slide out) and that allows you to tuck the sides in before lifting the bunk the rest of the way. Many people say to close the door and turn on your fantastic fan to help pull it in. I haven't found that to work for me.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:07 AM   #6

I also find that an 1 1/2 inch waffle foam mattress works fine for me. It is enclosed in a zipper mattress bag. The front bunk will not close with the topper on so I roll it up and secure it with a bungee cord and store it. I do find that the rear and side bunks will close with the same mattress pad.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #7

Good for you that you are continuing the tradition of camping! One thing to consider. Did you try to close the bunk end yourself? I am height challenged, and I have a difficult time doing it. And I second (or third or fourth) the idea of adding a good quality foam topper.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #8

I found a foldable queen mattress online, folds into 3rds, 6” thick, weighs around 50lbs, and then a pillow topper at 5” real down, this is how bad my back is with a 7 vertebrae fusion in my lower lumbar�� I’ll put the folding mattress on top of mattress already in my Roo, then top it off with topper�� it’ll be a nest for sure♥️ Bad thing is I’ll be making bed first hour out camping����well worth it to me though... happy camper
Old 08-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #9

Oops looks like little emojis don’t work here, lol
Old 08-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
I found a foldable queen mattress online
can you share that online link?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #11

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Mattress-Queen-Portable-Fold-Out/dp/B07SSVTGQV/ref=mp_s_a_1_27?dchild=1&keywords=queen+size+foldi ng+mattress+8%E2%80%9D&qid=1597438266&sr=8-27

Tags
21ssl, forest river, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo