Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2022, 07:43 PM   #1

Front cap replacement

Well
This being my first technical question on the forum hopefully Iím in the right section for this subject.
If not feel free to punt me in the right direction.
I made the choice on a coachman freedom express 246RKS recently due to the layout and it seemed like a decent unit despite the front cap being delaminated.
I pulled the trigger at a reduced price due to this and took the gamble and plunge into rv bliss!
After a brief run to Raleigh NC over the holidays to see family I backed it in the shop and began the wonderful job of pulling everything off the top including the membrane and etc.
Pulled the front cap that was glass skinned CARDBOARD!??? And much to my disgust I find no kind of structure other than a 1Ē square aluminum tubing on the outer perimeter coming down the radius to the bottom that holds the termination trim on and the skin. Ugh!!
No horizontal tubing or etc to support the front skin.
Well
Me being impatient and thought Iíd be smart I added R13 insulation to the front area and purchased a roll of Filon from a known source up north.
Turns out I get all my OCD inclinations finished which includes the PVC xtrm membrane and all the wonderful lap sealant to ice the cake with!
Give everything a few days to cook in the heated shop and get all giddy about pulling it outside for the first time in the beautiful sunshine that was much needed after our little snow pile that happened last week.
Wasnít 10 mins in the sun and the front cap looked like someone hit it all over the place with a mallet!
So after a few mins of some choice words I happened to see it was clouding up and looked at the cap and it had gone back to its somewhat original shape!
Ok now I know it really has no major structure behind that the Filon is attached to and yes Iím at fault but I never thought that this stuff would look like fidos butt if it gets warm!
So after this long rant Iím not sure what to do short of ripping a $300 piece of crap off and replacing with a bunch of more time and money trying to cobble up a superstructure myself OR my other idea was to contact coachman division and see if a fiberglass front cap from the the newer exact model was available.
But low and behold Iím unable to get a response from the parts guru at that division after leaving a couple of messages for him.
So any advice would be appreciated!
RCANDAMOONPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:07 AM   #2

You might try one of the RV dismantlers and see if they have the cap you need. Filon has been used on Winnies for years and is know to wrinkle at times.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You might try one of the RV dismantlers and see if they have the cap you need. Filon has been used on Winnies for years and is know to wrinkle at times.
Definitely a thought and I appreciate it.
Well I guess if I can get past the ugly part when it does this maybe I’ll be ok as long as I keep an eye out for separation of the sealant that I applied to the edge of the termination trim and the Filon.
Just kind of a disappointment to see this after all the work I have done!
RCANDAMOONPIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement