Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Furrion Install w/o Pre-Installed Mount

Hello!

Have any of you installed the Furrion observation camera on a Rockwood Mini Lite without the bracket/wiring already there?

I have a 2504S and am curious what might find when I remove the center brake light. I don't know if the walls are completely solid it not to run a wire through.

I'm thinking an above-light install might be difficult with the a/c duct there, too.
Holomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #2

Are you talking about a back up cam? If so I did install one and found it much easier to run to cam cable on the roof of my rv and drop it in thru the front of the cab. But that was my first and only time I have installed my own cam’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toytec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
Canadian Member

Your Mini Lite likely has aluminum studded walls with block foam between the studs. I would think that you can pull power easily from the center marker light and mount the wireless camera below that marker light. You'd have to have the marker lights powered in order for it to work, otherwise you'd have to find an "always on" 12V DC power source and install a switch to power it on and off.

This video may help.

EDIT: If you haven't already bought your camera, I suggest you buy the "Observation Camera" rather than the "Backup Camera".
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

So I went ahead and gave it a go below the middle brake light. There was an aluminum bar directly above and below the brake light cavity and I didn't feel too great about drilling into the bar/frame to pass the wire so I had to drill right into the coach.

That put my first hole right inside the top of the medicine cabinet which was pretty unnoticeable but I did of course have to pass the wire back up to the brake light so another small hole two inches up.

So, for my first mod, it was a little uneasy but I took it slow and was really professional about everything. Put silicone on any outside holes and feel pretty good about it except for the wire showing on the top of the medicine cabinet. I have a little piece of corner protective foam used for toddlers that I used to cover the wire because it matches the wallpaper pretty well and it looks a little better. Really, a flat or decorative piece of wood just standing up on top of the medicine cabinet would also hide it very nicely as well.

Wish I would have taken video so I could have helped others in the future.

The camera looks really great and I have a terrific signal!

Edit: And yes, this is the "observation/always on" camera, not the back-up camera. The only downside (if you want to call it that) is that I have to have my lights on in the truck for it to be on since it's powered by my running lights.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Canadian Member

Holomew, glad you got it completed. Did you use a silicone based caulk? I wouldn’t use silicone caulk anywhere on the outside of my camper. I always use ProFlexRV caulk on the outside vertical surfaces. Silicone caulk is OK on the inside though.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #6

Shoot. Thanks for the advice. It is just regular weatherproof/waterproof silicone from Home Depot. But the good news is that none of it is really on the outside because everything is covered by the rubber gasket on the bracket (so technically inside). So maybe that's okay.

I'll definitely purchase what you mentioned though right away for emergencies.

Tags
led, mount

« TV upgrade | Htpc »