Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 06:56 PM   #1

Furrion mount, too much wire!

I managed to cram it all back in the mount, barely, and I'm worried about the pressure it is pushing out from the wall... maybe ripping out the screws. Has anyone cut and shortened the wire? As long as I attach and seal the joint, it'll be ok?

Thx.
Dragon1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:04 PM   #2

Assuming you are talking about an observation camera I just took my time and pushed the wiring down between the wood framing. I haven't had any issues.

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-OH View Post
Assuming you are talking about an observation camera I just took my time and pushed the wiring down between the wood framing. I haven't had any issues.
I will try that... good idea. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:35 PM   #4

Forgot to mention; try to keep the connector from the trailer side where you can get to it. You don't want it to accidentally fall to where you can't get to it.

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #5
Canadian Member

I’ve installed both a Furrion observation camera and a Haloview camera on the Furrion mount. The Haloview camera has a lot more wire than the Furrion and I was able to get it all stuffed in the Furrion mount. It’s definitely a snug fit but it can be done. I know what your saying though.

The variable will be how much wiring the factory left outside the wall. Try pushing the factory pigtail back into the wall. If you’re really concerned you can remove the mount and the rubber seal piece, hollow out the wall cavity a bit and reinstall it. The wires will be quite small gauge so I’m not sure I want to fiddle with that.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #6

So, I managed to get about 1/2 the wire pushed back into the wall. At that point it got tough so I stopped. with 1/2 the wire, I'm able to get the camera on without pushing and shoving to get the screws in. I have a '20 Geo Pro with the "solid" walls. I assume the hole they cut in the foam is preventing me from fitting all the wire back in there.

BUT, as I put it back, what I feared would happen, happened. The microscopic bottom screws no longer had any bite; were stripped. I put a few dabs of goop in the screw holes which, once dry should hold it firm, I hope. . I could get some bigger screws and self-tap that back into the wall - but, I'll hold off on that until I have an issue. I will be keeping a close eye on it at each stop to make sure it's staying firm and I don't lose it. Although, the display in the cab would go wild if it suddenly fell off and dangled from the wire.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #7

just cut/splice the wires, keeping track of polarity. It's only 12v so you can use butt connectors, cut to length, strip and crimp. Easy peasy.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Forgot to mention; try to keep the connector from the trailer side where you can get to it. You don't want it to accidentally fall to where you can't get to it.

You might also wrap the connection with electrical tape to help keep it from separating. I also tied a piece of nylon string to it and left it outside the hole behind the camera in case it would try to drop into the wall.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #9

So our unit came prewired for the furrion camera. Only issue is the lights have to be on to power the camera. It's not a big issue just wondering if this was the correct way. I think it would be wired directly.
Todzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #10

According to Furrion's FAQ page (https://furrion.com/pages/faq)

How is my coach wired from the RV manufacturer for the camera system?
• The most common wiring is to the marker lights for the observation systems and the back up lights for the back up systems
• Some manufacturers wire the camera to a constant hot line which will keep the camera powered at all times. To shut the camera off you will need to shut off the power to the coach
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todzilla View Post
So our unit came prewired for the furrion camera. Only issue is the lights have to be on to power the camera. It's not a big issue just wondering if this was the correct way. I think it would be wired directly.

That is exactly correct. It is always safer to have your lights on anyways.

You are gonna love the camera. Put my wife out back and most often I don't even need her there. Mostly she watches for branches and small items I might not see.
When passing I use the color grid to know when it is save to pull back into my lane when passing. Did I mention you're gonna love this camera?
Old 09-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #12

Quote:

Great suggestion. I tied a piece of nylon string to mine and put a piece of electrical tape over it so I can pull it out if it should fall.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #13

Thank you both for the reply. I'm sure the camera will be loved and I agree with the lights and safety.
Todzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
That is exactly correct. It is always safer to have your lights on anyways.

You are gonna love the camera. Put my wife out back and most often I don't even need her there. Mostly she watches for branches and small items I might not see.
When passing I use the color grid to know when it is save to pull back into my lane when passing. Did I mention you're gonna love this camera?
Can you walk me thru setting up the Furion color grid view you mentioned? I know I scare my DW when I ask her " Is it safe to to change lanes?"
Famoussenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famoussenior View Post
Can you walk me thru setting up the Furion color grid view you mentioned? I know I scare my DW when I ask her " Is it safe to to change lanes?"

This is from E-trailer.com and I believe it works on all models.
Be sure once you turn it on that you have you and your wife stand behind the trailer to make sure the lines are in a safe position for your unit.

DO NOT ASSUME THEY ARE CORRECT.

Expert Reply: Yes, you can put grid lines on the display of the Furrion Observation system part # FOS07TASF that you have. Hit the menu button and then press up or down to get to the display option and from there you'll see gridline option.

Tags
mount