Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Gel Memory Foam Mattress ?

Well, after 4 years wife and I have decided that the original mattress needs to be replaced.
We're looking at a 10" Cool Gel Memory Foam type mattress, specifically cut for an rv short queen. Dynasty brand via Amazon.
Do any of you have any experience with the memory foam type mattress's?
We're not looking at or are interested in a sleep number type bed, at least not right now. And we're not interested in a topper, as that's just a temporary fix.
Just looking for input on the gel/memory foam type mattress's.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

Last summer I replaced the mattress in our TT with this 8" Cool Gel memory foam mattress:

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/cla...&tid=CLBR008-7

I think I paid $230 at the time with free shipping, it's now less than $200. I've been seriously thinking about ordering a king size for home because it's just about the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #3

10" Avena from C/W ,the O/E optional Serta is wrapped up and in storage,when we replace RV the Serta goes back in! Youroo! !
Old 01-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #4

Thanks guy's. That's the kind of info I need.
A 10" is what we're looking for as the original is also 10", and will fit when slide goes in.
Have tried them in local bedding stores, but not the same as long term use.
Grumpy

Old 01-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #5

Check Walmart. They have 8" and 10" for around $235. They even carry RV Queens which are about $20 more. I am looking at replacing my old mattress with the Cool Gel 10.5" Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress for $248.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

Good Thread about mattress

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-83660-2.html
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #7

We put a latex memory foam mattress in our motorhome that is the same as the one we have at home. It was very expensive though! I want to say about $2,000.

I have a bad back and love the one at home so that is why we did it and it was definitely worthwhile. We have since sold the motorhome and have yet to put a new mattress in the 5th wheel. I can't vouch for the Walmart brands or other cheaper types. Mine was from Custom Comfort in Southern California.
https://customcomfortmattress.com

Good luck!

Bill
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Well, after 4 years wife and I have decided that the original mattress needs to be replaced.
We're looking at a 10" Cool Gel Memory Foam type mattress, specifically cut for an rv short queen. Dynasty brand via Amazon.
Do any of you have any experience with the memory foam type mattress's?
We're not looking at or are interested in a sleep number type bed, at least not right now. And we're not interested in a topper, as that's just a temporary fix.
Just looking for input on the gel/memory foam type mattress's.
Grumpy
We love ours! That said, read the info available on them internets. Many people/sites recommend Made in USA due to issues with off-gassing of the cheap imports (not all but some). We opted for a Tempurpedic but there are other cheaper ones out there made here.
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #9

We currently have a traditional higher end Pocket Coil, pillow top Queen mattress that we ordered through a local mattress discounter since they were able to order it in a short to for our trailer. We have a new trailer and we are looking to order two - RV double foam mattresses (really they are what used to be called a 3/4) from a local foam company. They order the foam, build up the various densities and then put it into a quilted mattress style covering material that completely encases the mattress, but is un-zippable for cleaning if an accident happens..

cheers... Jeff
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #10

We may have replaced our factory mattress with the same one you are talking about. We purchased a 10" RV triple gell foam Dynasty mattress from Amazon. No complaints on our mattress. Below is the description from Amazon

2.5" CoolBreeze GEL 4lb High Density Open Cell Memory Foam: Sleep Cool Technology Foam! 120 day trial! Warranty: 20 years Limited Warranty.
2" + 2" Cool Airflow, 3.5" foam for ultimate support base! Feel: Medium Firm
Made with High Quality and durable 4-layer construction! Compare to the GENIUS at a fraction of the cost
Luxurious white cover with brown suede, fire barrier, zipper washable cover
With FREE 2 Gel Pillows Matching with the Mattress Cover ($100 Value) CertiPUR-US® Certified!

2016 PT Crusader 335BHS
2015 Chevy 2500 Diesel High Country
Lskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #11

I was able to extend my support 5 " and use a full size queen. Memory form can get cold and hard. We use an electric blanket to warm it up in cold weather. Does great. Wouldn't go back to a regular mattress.

litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335bhs View Post
We may have replaced our factory mattress with the same one you are talking about. We purchased a 10" RV triple gell foam Dynasty mattress from Amazon. No complaints on our mattress. Below is the description from Amazon

2.5" CoolBreeze GEL 4lb High Density Open Cell Memory Foam: Sleep Cool Technology Foam! 120 day trial! Warranty: 20 years Limited Warranty.
2" + 2" Cool Airflow, 3.5" foam for ultimate support base! Feel: Medium Firm
Made with High Quality and durable 4-layer construction! Compare to the GENIUS at a fraction of the cost
Luxurious white cover with brown suede, fire barrier, zipper washable cover
With FREE 2 Gel Pillows Matching with the Mattress Cover ($100 Value) CertiPUR-US® Certified!
That is the exact mattress we're looking at. Seems decant at a reasonable price, especially when comparing to a sleep number bed or even a new coil spring mattress.
Don't want to get another coil, and have heard to many conflicting reports about the sleep number type in an rv.
Unless something happens between now and when our first trip is planned at end of March, that's the one I'll be ordering in Feb.
Thanks!!!
Grumpy

Old 01-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #13

We bought this one from Walmart and are very happy:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/41974847

We have a memory foam mattress we bought from Sam's that we liked previously in our stick house.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #14
jkoenig24

The OEM Serta mattress Dynamax installed was a bastard "King Size" POS. Because the Dymax King bed measures 73" x 76" I HAD to use standard King sheets that were a VERY sloppy fit. I NEVER had a single good night's sleep on that OEM Serta. At the FROG Rally in 2015, I saw (and was impressed with) ProCustomInc (also in Elkhart, IN). I had them change me over to a THICK foam mattress that has been a DREAM to sleep on. It's actually better the bed I have at home. 76" was the longest a mattress could be but, I had ProCustomInc reduce the width to 60". I can now use standard Queen size sheets. The "extra" 4" at the foot of the bed has not been an issue; my Queen size sheets fit snugly. Foam mattresses can easily be cut to whatever size you want.

Pro Custom Inc - RV Service, Renovation, Repairs, and Paint

Standard bed sizes:
King Size = 78"wide x 80"long
Queen Size = 60"wide x 80"long
Full / Double Size = 54"wide x 75"long
Single / Twin Size = 39"wide x 75"long
California King = 72"wide x 84"long
RV Bed Sizes = Whatever room is left over (but generally NOT industry standard).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #15

We bought a used grey wolf last yr In wonderful shape but the mattresses were shot, which my opinion is they are cheap to begin with. We had a company here make us new mattresses for our bunk beds which are 100% better than what was in there for $300 single on top 3/4 on bottom and they are 6in thick. We have a place that gets mattresses from sears when people return them cuz they don't like or there's a rip etc. We bought a full queen mattress posturpedic for $250 and it is every bit as comfortable as our house mattress and it fits so much better. A little tight tucking in at the foot but we love it!!
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #16

Thanks for the info. But because of the layout in our Lexi we're forced to stick with the short queen, 75" or 76" x 60". Mattress fits between two slide walls, and when slide is retracted the foot of the mattress slips under a wardrobe. Cannot lengthen and cannot go wider.
Have done a lot of searching/googling and pretty much decided on the one available from Amazon.
I do thank you all for your input, and must say that this is one of the few times I have seen where everyone who responded actually liked their product, in this case gel memory foam mattresses.
And, if youroo likes it, it must be good!!!
Grumpy

Old 01-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #17

I highly recommend a latex mattress. Check them out at Habitatfurnishings.com. Memory foam sleeps hot (even the gel type) gets very firm in a cool camper, and is hard to turn on. Memory foam is pure chemicals (that's why they smell so strong). I love my latex mattress (latex is all natural, made from the sap of rubber trees) It cured my lifelong insomnia, helps my bad back, neck and joints, and is heaven to sleep on. You will never need to replace it, and it is naturally hypo allergenic, resists mold, mildew and dust mites. Perfect for TT's! I wish I had known about latex mattresses a long time ago. Just make sure you get the real deal, not "hybrids" when they mix in memory foam or other chemicals. Good luck! And happy camping!
LuckyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #18

We put a 4 inches gel infused memory foam topper right over our cheap RV mattress, works great! I sleep like a baby on it. So good, that we put it on our house bed in the off season. Now we need to get another one for the RV.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #19
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
Check Walmart. They have 8" and 10" for around $235. They even carry RV Queens which are about $20 more. I am looking at replacing my old mattress with the Cool Gel 10.5" Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress for $248.
X2. Spend the extra for the "Cool Gel". On warm days you'll be glad you did. Walmart delivered free in just 4 days. Comes rolled-up in a tall box. Removing the box eases entry into the RV. Be sure to position the mattress on the bed platform BEFORE removing the plastic. Once the plastic is cut loose it expands fast! If you try to unwrap it on the floor it can pin you against the wall in the bedroom in a matter of seconds. Ask me how I know?

No regrets with this mattress.
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
We put a 4 inches gel infused memory foam topper right over our cheap RV mattress, works great! I sleep like a baby on it. So good, that we put it on our house bed in the off season. Now we need to get another one for the RV.
Can't use any type of topper as oe mattress is 10" and just fits under a wardrobe when slide is in. Don't want to bother with removing it everytime slide has to go in.
Even with a topper, still stuck with old mattress, it's weight and added weight of topper.
Easier, and almost as cheap to replace entire mattress.
Wanting to use Amazon as we have several hundred bucks in gift and points rewards. Plus we have Prime. Free shipping and we'll have it in 2 days.
Grumpy