Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2020, 03:27 PM   #21

Two WEN 56202i Super Quiet 2000-Watt with a Parallel Connection Kit

I went through a similar research process last summer and ended up buying two WEN 56202i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generators and a Parallel Connection Kit at WEN's website. The price was very good; $360 for each generator and $65 for the parallel connection kit (free shipping, no tax). I'm very happy with them, and they do have enough power to run the AC unit on my 2109S with both units running in parallel. I looked at a lot of generators to find one that could be stowed in the 2109S front pass-through storage area. The overall height is the limiting factor. These WEN's just fit in standing up as they should be oriented.

https://wenproducts.com/products/sup...0243433f&_ss=r

https://wenproducts.com/products/wen...eed70fe0&_ss=r
drewdomines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:48 PM   #22

Generator

That 64 DB rating on that Champion is at idle, not when running an A/C. Also, think of the leverage that much weight has on that rear hitch as you tow down the road. The trailer frame is not strong enough to handle the stress. I added reinforcing brackets to mine and it helped for a 100 lbs of bikes/rack, still iffy.
The Northern Tools or Predator 3500 is much quieter @ $150 more. Sound level is at the 60 DB accepted level when at load to run A/C . This is what most national parks and campgrounds allow and will run a 15K A/C w/o getting a talk from park rangers or neighbors. We have the fancier version of the predator, Generac IQ 3500. It has more steel and better insulation. If we did it again, I would get the Northern Tool version for value, $500 less than the Genera w/ same motor. Unfortunately, there is no industry standard for how far away from the unit they take the DB reading. At 15' mine is @ 61 DB after 75 hours run time w/ my meter.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
That 64 DB rating on that Champion is at idle, not when running an A/C. Also, think of the leverage that much weight has on that rear hitch as you tow down the road. The trailer frame is not strong enough to handle the stress. I added reinforcing brackets to mine and it helped for a 100 lbs of bikes/rack, still iffy.
The Northern Tools or Predator 3500 is much quieter @ $150 more. Sound level is at the 60 DB accepted level when at load to run A/C . This is what most national parks and campgrounds allow and will run a 15K A/C w/o getting a talk from park rangers or neighbors. We have the fancier version of the predator, Generac IQ 3500. It has more steel and better insulation. If we did it again, I would get the Northern Tool version for value, $500 less than the Genera w/ same motor. Unfortunately, there is no industry standard for how far away from the unit they take the DB reading. At 15' mine is @ 61 DB after 75 hours run time w/ my meter.
With the AC running I hear nothing inside the trailer but the AC fan.

It's so loud even with the generator next to the trailer I dont hear it over the AC...

Vibration is a different animal.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:58 PM   #24

My friend has a Westinghouse 4500 mounted on his rear bumper. To me the vibration inside the trailer when it is running is horrible.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:49 PM   #25

Harbour Freight has a similar 500# rack for $150.00
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:52 PM   #26

Genny on back of trailer

I would not want those gas cans near that back WH. All gas cans expel have some vapor (especially in the sun and heat and all those cans do not look good. Then there is the issue of gas cans being hit and spilling and igniting if someone hits the back bumper. Remember years ago gas tanks had to be repositioned in vehicles to be safer? If someone hits and that gas explodes or burns someone, your looking at a lawsuit. I bet the insurance company would not be happy to see such a setup.
Bob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
I would not want those gas cans near that back WH. All gas cans expel have some vapor (especially in the sun and heat and all those cans do not look good. Then there is the issue of gas cans being hit and spilling and igniting if someone hits the back bumper. Remember years ago gas tanks had to be repositioned in vehicles to be safer? If someone hits and that gas explodes or burns someone, your looking at a lawsuit. I bet the insurance company would not be happy to see such a setup.
Agree that there is a small risk of fire from the gas cans in the rear if the trailer is hit in the back. Without that, a hard rear hit might open the propane lines to the water heater and reefer that are mounted just inside of the rear wall.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
My friend has a Westinghouse 4500 mounted on his rear bumper. To me the vibration inside the trailer when it is running is horrible.
I hear about this a lot here. But the directions specifically say not to run a generator while sitting on metal which most rear mounts are made of. For this reason, I thought the mount was for transportation only, and the generator was taken off and run on the ground. Either folks are not following directions or their bumper mounts aren’t metal. Either way, I prefer running on the ground to avoid vibration.

Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #29

I have that generator and I love it. Buy it on Amazon & you could also buy a 4 year extended warranty on top of the 3 year warranty had already comes with all-American made great generator as far as a bumper hitch mount I found this a little bit expensive but it secures to the entire frame of the travel trailer versus just the bumper which most often are not really welded very good and wont support the weight.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YVP4FCF..._-5CnEb7AHP27V
cristofer.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #30

Thumbs down

These generators are for construction sites not campgrounds. I had one, thinking why pay twice the money for a Honda. They are not for campgrounds and your neighbors will tell you so too. Love my quiet and easy to move Honda. You'll pull your back out moving one of these types of generators, another reason I got rid of mine. Some campgrounds do not allow them.
Ready2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristofer.a View Post
I have that generator and I love it. Buy it on Amazon & you could also buy a 4 year extended warranty on top of the 3 year warranty had already comes with all-American made great generator
It's made in China, not the USA. No such thing anymore, as an American made portable generator.
If you're assuming that it's American because of the Westinghouse name, that brand name was sold years ago, to Chinese corporations. Just like Bell and Howell and pc Kodak.
Chinese corporations have bought many of the famous American brand names that no longer manufacturer anything.
That same generator is also manufacturered with other brand names.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2camp View Post
These generators are for construction sites not campgrounds. I had one, thinking why pay twice the money for a Honda. They are not for campgrounds and your neighbors will tell you so too. Love my quiet and easy to move Honda. You'll pull your back out moving one of these types of generators, another reason I got rid of mine. Some campgrounds do not allow them.
Not sure which generators you're referring to.
The OP already said he was only using the open frame contractor-style generator for boondocking.
Everyon else has posted their quieter inverter generators, which are all appropriate for campground usage.
[emoji848]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I hear about this a lot here. But the directions specifically say not to run a generator while sitting on metal which most rear mounts are made of. For this reason, I thought the mount was for transportation only, and the generator was taken off and run on the ground. Either folks are not following directions or their bumper mounts aren’t metal. Either way, I prefer running on the ground to avoid vibration.

That generator is super heavy which is why they don't move it.

So glad I don't need a generator.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #34

Appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts. Lot's of research...probably going with dual Honda 2200's with one of the front of the trailer hitch mounts above the propane. Anyone else have this setup?
Old 02-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #35
waybeck2018

Bluepill, being a Safety Guy, I noticed your four gas containers just below either a HW htr, refrig or some propane gas type appliance unit. I say that because of the vents on the rear. What precautions do you take before using what ever that appliance is? Great set up, it just caught my eye on the safety issue. One place I inspected lost 80% of the building because a gas container vented just below a pilot light flame. Fumes found a source of ignition.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #36

Mine works fine when I'm using it when I'm boondocking or hunting.
It is an inverter generator in an open frame.
Not very loud on heavy draw.
cristofer.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #37

Just a reminder. +6dB is a human perceived doubling of loudness. The open frame hybrid Champion generator is listed 6bD louder than their straight inverter models. It is much lighter at 80.7# vice my noisy home Champion at 109# IIRC.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:07 PM   #38
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
Bluepill, being a Safety Guy, I noticed your four gas containers just below either a HW htr, refrig or some propane gas type appliance unit. I say that because of the vents on the rear. What precautions do you take before using what ever that appliance is? Great set up, it just caught my eye on the safety issue. One place I inspected lost 80% of the building because a gas container vented just below a pilot light flame. Fumes found a source of ignition.
Bluepill has posted that photo here many times and has made mention just as many times he removes the gas cans BEFORE using the water heater.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherin55 View Post
We own a 2020 Rockwood ML 2511S. We did not want to mount anything on the back bumper for sway and theft reasons so we ratchet strapped & lock-mounted our Westinghouse iGen4500 inverter generator (105 lbs.) on the tongue with a Stromburg Carlson Cargo Tray (60 lbs.). Also added shock absorbent pads on the genny feet - generator comes with a remote start so we can start it up without having to go outside We have traveled 5800 miles in 4 months last year and it's working extremely well for us!!
Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherin55 View Post
We own a 2020 Rockwood ML 2511S. We did not want to mount anything on the back bumper for sway and theft reasons so we ratchet strapped & lock-mounted our Westinghouse iGen4500 inverter generator (105 lbs.) on the tongue with a Stromburg Carlson Cargo Tray (60 lbs.). Also added shock absorbent pads on the genny feet - generator comes with a remote start so we can start it up without having to go outside We have traveled 5800 miles in 4 months last year and it's working extremely well for us!!
Are you running this generator while on this mount? I ask because your pictures show the exhaust close up to the TT exterior wall and I know it gets very hot. If you run it this way, has this been a problem or damaged the trailer?

Also, how do you access your batteries?

How does the extra 100lbs of tongue weight affect your towing?
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, hitch