Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #1

Glass Tile

Was thinking about adding glass tile behind kitchen sink. Wall feels reasonable stout, has anyone else tried this? Curious about grout cracking and other issues I may not have considered fully.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #2

i am looking into doing the same mod i read here somewhere they make a self stick sheet of tiles and sell them at home depot, you will have to add grout

dan

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Site Team

I'm afraid you'll have a cracking problem in a short time. As you move down the road the whole RV twists and moves which means almost any non-flexible material is going to crack.

You could use the self stick sheets and use some flexible caulking as grout and that may hold up well.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #4

Sorry to rain on your parade, but nope, nope, nope. Won't work. As stated, a trailer wall flexes too much. You *might* get it to work if you used a backer like 3/4" plywood that is relatively stiff. But then you'd have to deal with the huge increase in wall thickness. Trailers use relatively thin plywood that is only about 1/8" thick and it flexes a LOT. You'll end up with cracked grout on your first outing.

I know it's a great idea to want to do something with the standard plywood vinyl finish. Maybe there's a faux tile finish in sheet form that looks like a tile wall? I wonder if a section of Corian counter stuff would work, especially if available in thin sheet form? I think ordinary laminate glued to the wall would work. Hmmm, that gives me an idea for yet more mod. work to do in our TT.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #5

We do ceramic tile in alot of our houses and the grout manufacturer makes a color matched sanded siliconized acrylic caulking the is very flexible.We use it in shower corners,against doors,etc.,anywhere normal grout would be susceptible to cracking.This combined with you small stick on tile might do the trick for you.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #6

The sanded caulk sounds like it might work. Laticrete makes an excellent product. I have to wonder if it would be rather messy and labor intensive as you should tape off all joints before caulking to get a good end result. This caulking is normally meant for inside corners, expansion joints, etc. in a bathroom, not for general grout use. If you go this route, maybe you'd want to use small tiles to minimize the possibility of tiles cracking.

I'd suggest you go the John Bridge Tile Forum (just Google it) and ask questions there. There's a lot of pros there to give advice on all sorts of tile projects.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #7

If your TT is like mine I would be more worried about the weight of the tiles pulling the paper off the wall. I hung some hooks in the front storage compartment to hang items from and it actually started pulling the paper from the wallboard. It seems almost like a wallpaper on plywood. Yours may be different.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Tile

I just traded in a 2003 TT that I had tiled in the Kitchen and bath when I first bought it. I used regular silicone to attach the tile to the wall and water clean up silicone for grout. I was able to get a colored silicone that looked great with the tile color. The silicone stays flexible. This past October (2011) the tile at trade in was like I just installed it. This spring when it warms up I will be doing some tiling in my 2012 Windjammer Regards;
Eaglelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade, but nope, nope, nope. Won't work. As stated, a trailer wall flexes too much. You *might* get it to work if you used a backer like 3/4" plywood that is relatively stiff. But then you'd have to deal with the huge increase in wall thickness. Trailers use relatively thin plywood that is only about 1/8" thick and it flexes a LOT. You'll end up with cracked grout on your first outing.

I know it's a great idea to want to do something with the standard plywood vinyl finish. Maybe there's a faux tile finish in sheet form that looks like a tile wall? I wonder if a section of Corian counter stuff would work, especially if available in thin sheet form? I think ordinary laminate glued to the wall would work. Hmmm, that gives me an idea for yet more mod. work to do in our TT.

we put up a sheet of laminate on the side of our pantry cabinet, which is right next to our stove. Makes clean up a breeze, and it looks really nice as well!!
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote