Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #1

Grills and mounts.

Hello friends. I am back and forth for grille options on our new Wolfpack toyhauler. Currently we have our colemen roadtrip. It has excellent reviews but the years we have owned it I find it very hard to use and not burn stuff.

I have been contemplating the idea of moving to a grill that can run off our low pressure rv gas line. As well, I like.the idea of either mounting it on the RV. My questions are:

For those of you who have done your research and gone through the trials and tribulations, what grill did you find to be your favorite?

Any of you have pics and write ups on cool ways you mounted your grills to the RV? I have a toy hauler so it may have to be ok the side but I'm not convinced I couldn't still bumper mount it on the corner somehow.

If you have the Coleman traveler, is there something I maybe don't know causing it to be so darn hard to use?

Thanks all as always. Happy Easter as well
solar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #2

I've been using the "Nexgrill" 2 burner portable grill from Home Depot. The only mod was to remove the regulator and replace it with the RV compatible hose.

We've been very satisfied with it for the last 3 years.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #3

Have a Coleman roadtrip and I have it converted to allow low pressure from the trailer port. My complaints are cleaning it sux (dont leave it out in the rain or it will drip forever with grease) and that you really cannot close the lid. While I dont a lot of the time a windy day may need that to cook the food better.

I have a Blackstone and love it so far. It too connects to the LP port. I made the shelf that fits on the side bigger but don't like how high it sits so I set on a folding table next to the trailer instead. It helps to keep grease off the trailer. I use foil to shield from the wind and don't have issues keeping it warm. Cleanup is a breeze.

I have used a friends Weber Q many times. It is also a great grill. Small and compact. He had it 2yrs and the burner plugged up so we have to burn it off and blow out with compressed air. It did not leave a lot of grease when storing which was nice. Scrape it off and ready to go. We also used as an oven for pizzas. You can also convert these to low pressure for hooking up to the trailer. They also make mounts for the rear which you could likely use as many of them swing around but worst case you could mount on the side with a 2" tube.

I also used the one that came with the camper once....once enough said.

I also have a gmg Davy Crockett. This is both a smoker a grill and an oven. It has it's own legs and runs off trailer AC or DC. This can also grill and is the most versital of them but its heavy and you need to haul pellets too. It is ok to clean bit requires a blower or vaccum because of the dust.

I am currently using the gmg and the Blackstone or both depending on the trip and how many I am cooking for.

I had a Weber charcoal grill but too messy because of the ash even when empty. It blows everywhere and even if you were to mount it outside it would cover the trailer.

Hope that helps you out a bit. Happy Easter and happy camping.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #4

We used different grills over the years but now we just use the Blackstone griddle, it cleans up super fast and cooks all our food
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
We used different grills over the years but now we just use the Blackstone griddle, it cleans up super fast and cooks all our food
Which one do you guys all use?
solar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:14 PM   #6

i have a 22" Blackstone. Got it from Walmart, came with a lid and stand.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #7

I have a 22in and a 17in. The 17in is great but the 22in gets hotter as it has two burners. The 22in I got from Walmart I took the cover off, it handles better for me without the cover
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:42 AM   #8

Weber-Q-2200 here. Love it. Have the 3200 for at home. The thing I like about them are they are super easy to clean. Burn it off after you finish cooking, scrape and remove the grates, and scrape everything to the grease tray. Everything but the grates are aluminum no no rusting. Lastly, If i need replacement parts, Lowes and HD both carry half an isle of them. Hard to beat cooks great, easy to clean, lasts forever.

I have considered buying a grill top for my Camp Chef 3 burner stove https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which I love just as much if not more. They make a couple of the grill tops that you can just put on top of the stove and cover either one burner or two or even all three. The stove is fantastic, 51,000 btu's, 17,000 to each burner but enough adjustment that I can simmer or keep something warm without burning it. I'd rather cook on those two pieces of equipment than anything I've ever cooked on.

Something to be said for a flat top grill. Certainly easier on the dishwashing person. People rave about their Blackstones also.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:50 AM   #9

Weber charcoal grill. been using it for about 5 years now. Second one since 2008. Never used anything else.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:03 AM   #10

Why?

I’m sure people have good reasons for why they want their grill attached to the outside of their RVs, but I have never worked out what the advantages are. I am of the opinion that the farther my grill is from my camper, the better. I have never even opened the box that contains the grill that came with my Windjammer because I don’t want a grill that close to my camper and under the awning.

I’m not criticizing here — just wondering why people like this so much.

Bruce
Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I’m not criticizing here — just wondering why people like this so much.....
For me it's convenience and not smelling up the RV.

Our trailer's outdoor kitchen came with an Aussie grill and it heated food ok but was a pain to clean. It was also very large in comparison to the cooking surface.

Now, we use a 17" Blackstone connected to the trailer's low pressure propane. It is mainly used for breakfast foods and stows very neatly, allowing for more storage space in the outdoor kitchen.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #12

I saw where the new 17" Blackstone's at Walmart now have the rear grease management system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bstone.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	202683  
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I’m sure people have good reasons for why they want their grill attached to the outside of their RVs, but I have never worked out what the advantages are. I am of the opinion that the farther my grill is from my camper, the better. I have never even opened the box that contains the grill that came with my Windjammer because I don’t want a grill that close to my camper and under the awning.

I’m not criticizing here — just wondering why people like this so much.

Bruce
Hello Bruce,
I don't like the idea of the grill against my camper either. The bracket that comes with the grill that came with your camper probably can be turned into a stand. I do that and set our grill on a small table away from camper a little ways. It could use a longer hose, that is on my want list. Not the greatest of grills, but it came with camper so thought I would make some use of it.
A Blackstone is also on my list, but it is down that list a bit after new tires and a sundry of other needs. Happy camping!

Tony
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #14

I just switched from Road Trip after 15 years to Blackstone 22" and am please so far.

I like to use the quick connect off the camper so I dont need to carry green bottles or 20lb containers of propane. I agree that I dont want the grill to be attached to the camper. I usually put a table between the grill and camper so that the propane hose isnt a tripping hazard.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

Nomad, I don't get the whole 'gotta have a grill attached to the camper' idea either. Just because it comes with a shelf to attach to that bracket doesn't mean you need to use a grill on it.

I have this grill https://www.lowes.com/pd/pit-boss-20...SABEgJFNPD_BwE It is sold under about 5 different brand names, from Heritage, to Pit Boss, to Cuisinart (if you want to pay top dollar, lol).

And I have this GCI folding cook station it fits perfectly on: https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-S...-1-spons&psc=1
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #16

Coleman Road Trip: they make 5 models of these. Don't know which one the OP has that burns food. I have the LX model that has a pan to which you can add water. Makes terrific steaks and burning isn't an issue. That said I'm not a big fan. Taking out that grease filled water pan after cooking without spilling is a huge challenge. I had one and gave it to my SIL after his grill broke and at the next RV show I entered a contest and guess what I won - its like I'm fated to use one. That Nextel 2 burner another poster mentioned could be in my future.

My camper is a hybrid and its difficult to keep smoke/odors from entering if the grill is set too close plus we camp in areas where there are critters about so the further from the RV I can cook the better. I cook lots of chicken and ribs and I like them best on my Weber Jumbo Joe charcoal grill.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #17

I set my grill up on a 6' table along with my stove, over near the picnic table. Often either T'ed right next to it or as an extension of it. I then have a 12'x12' popup canopy that covers the "cooking station" and as much of the picnic table as I can, usually around 6' of it. I get to stay in the conversation while cooking with those at the picnic table, they get to smell the deliciousness I'm preparing and the chef and all my gear stays dry if it starts raining.

The camper awning area is used for seating if it's raining or too sunny and shade is needed. I don't want to eat up space there with cooking stuff. Plus avoids any spillages on the awning mat.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #18

Hi All,

We have the same grill but we can not find the correct connection. I need a 1/2 QC male to fit into the pre-plumed female QC that came with the rig. All stores only have 3/8 or 1/4 inch fittings.

Thanks for the help!
LV2PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2PC View Post
Hi All,

We have the same grill but we can not find the correct connection. I need a 1/2 QC male to fit into the pre-plumed female QC that came with the rig. All stores only have 3/8 or 1/4 inch fittings.

Thanks for the help!
Like this? Madol 1/2" QDD+NG Gas Hose 144" or 12 Feet Natural Gas and Propane Gas [2585] 1/2" Quick Disconnect Hose Assembly for Low Pressure Applications for Outdoor Use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077JJ5KDB..._oUmWCb71F861E
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #20

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I called a dealer in SLC who stated the 1/2 line is for larger propane tanks, not for QC BBQ's.
Make's sense.
LV2PC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grill, mount