Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Always Learning

Happy Horn for the truck

I'm not sure how many people subscribe to the concept of "happy horns" and "angry horns". Happy Horn = quick chirp of the horn. Angry Horn = full blast, holding it down.

Situations for the happy horn - person in front of you at a red light doesn't notice it went green. (chirp, chirp) Or someone is starting to veer slightly out of their lane and I want to remind them someone is beside of them (chirp, chirp).

Situations for angry horn - someone is coming over and you need their attention (BBRROOOONNG!!!!). Someone is backing up and trying to hit you (BBRROOOONNG!!!!). You've had a bad day and need the world to know (BBRROOOONNG!!!!).

On all of my previous car and SUVs - the horn was pretty easy to tap and you got a nice happy horn/quick chirp. If you held it down, it was obvious you were angry horn (more of a bbrroooonng!).

The problem is - my truck only has angry horn. There's no way to quick chirp it and believe me, I've tried.

How difficult would it be to get a horn from a little car and wire it up to a button the dash?

(yes, I'm completely serious)
Old 12-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

I've got an old AHH-OOO-GAH horn with a push button on the kick panel I activate with my foot. Sure does startle a lot of folks.

Horn is quite old as I put it on my first car in 1956, a 51 Nash Rambler convertible.(no FT Turbs not a horse drawn wagon)
Old 12-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Always Learning

LOL, that's about the opposite of what I want.

I think the funniest thing- my dad's Toyota Tundra has the same horn as my old Corolla. It was almost like the truck needed a tutu when he'd hit the horn.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm not sure how many people subscribe to the concept of "happy horns" and "angry horns". Happy Horn = quick chirp of the horn. Angry Horn = full blast, holding it down.

Situations for the happy horn - person in front of you at a red light doesn't notice it went green. (chirp, chirp) Or someone is starting to veer slightly out of their lane and I want to remind them someone is beside of them (chirp, chirp).

Situations for angry horn - someone is coming over and you need their attention (BBRROOOONNG!!!!). Someone is backing up and trying to hit you (BBRROOOONNG!!!!). You've had a bad day and need the world to know (BBRROOOONNG!!!!).

On all of my previous car and SUVs - the horn was pretty easy to tap and you got a nice happy horn/quick chirp. If you held it down, it was obvious you were angry horn (more of a bbrroooonng!).

The problem is - my truck only has angry horn. There's no way to quick chirp it and believe me, I've tried.

How difficult would it be to get a horn from a little car and wire it up to a button the dash?

(yes, I'm completely serious)
Never gave this any serious thought, but I don't see why you couldn't get a replacement horn - AFAIK the horn is a separate component and should be replaceable. Mounting and wiring it in to your vehicle might be a little difficult,but maybe not.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I've got an old AHH-OOO-GAH horn with a push button on the kick panel I activate with my foot. Sure does startle a lot of folks.

Horn is quite old as I put it on my first car in 1956, a 51 Nash Rambler convertible.(no FT Turbs not a horse drawn wagon)
I remember the Nash Rambler - they always reminded me of a bathtub on wheels.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Resident Masshole

I totally subscribe to it! Funny, I was just having a similar conversation with DW. Someone needs to come up with a multiple-format horn, so you can go from a polite (not too loud) horn like on a bicycle all the way out to air horn / oncoming train.

Then again, I find most times I hit the horn I really wish I was engaging a set of under the headlight machine guns

As to your question, far as I've ever seen, horns are just two wires so if you can trace out to where yours is mounted under the hood, I bet you can swap it out with whatever horn you can find.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #7

There's probably an app for that. I've been looking for an app for an automated single finger salute. If you find one, let me know.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
LOL, that's about the opposite of what I want.

I think the funniest thing- my dad's Toyota Tundra has the same horn as my old Corolla. It was almost like the truck needed a tutu when he'd hit the horn.
Does exactly what you want. Just a tap for hi or blast the full AHH-OOO-GAH for the jerks.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Always Learning

OC, I didn't realize it had anything less than AHH-OOO-GAH.

For the others, I don't want to replace my horn- more along the lines of what OC did. Wire a second one up separately. Keep my angry horn but also have a goto 'happy' one.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #10

Train horn, shave and a haircut.
People are awake after that.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OC, I didn't realize it had anything less than AHH-OOO-GAH.

For the others, I don't want to replace my horn- more along the lines of what OC did. Wire a second one up separately. Keep my angry horn but also have a goto 'happy' one.
It depends on how long you hold the button. It only sounds the AHH-OOO-GAH, but it takes a few milliseconds to sound the complete sound.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #12

I rarely use my horn but when I do, it's a very ANGRY horn.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #13

I'm with Oakman! my horn is used at FULL BORE when in use! I don't disagree with Happy Horns though! You can just buy an electric horn from amazon or harbor freight... All it takes to wire is mount the horn where ever... I'd use power from one of your cigarette lighters in the cab and go over to the switch you buy.... (temporary on/off switch) and then other side of the switch out to the positive of the horn!

If you don't want to do it yourself you're welcome to come over and I will do it for you! If you come this weekend I'm installing an EGR/DPF delete and tuner on my dads ram 2500 similar to your massive monster! I could easily squeeze you into the bay next to him!

see you in a couple of hours?

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #14

x2 train horns. You could be happy or very angry, either way it's a reason to add onboard air.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #15

JC Whitney...
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #16

Beware! Electronics on cars are very sensitive to foreign devices being installed on them. If you install an additional horn,I highly recommend install a relay and an inline fuse. This lets power straight from the battery power the device instead of going through your computer electronics in your vehicle.
97Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We I drove ambulance or fire truck there was different sirens for each situation. One was a simple move it over,to wooping all the way to get the h#&% out of the way. And if that didn't help there was the air horn. So I think every truck and RV should some options.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #18

Plenty of places to buy horns at and it is very easy to do. No need for a relay if you pull from an appropriate 12volt source (you'd have to pull from that source to hook to the relay anyway, so just go direct) but definitely put in an in line fuse.

Been doing 12 volt for years and a horn would be one of the simplest hookups you could do. The biggest challenge is often running the wire from the horn in the engine compartment through the firewall and into the cab of the truck where the switch is. You can usually find a grommet that you could share an opening with like the hood release cable or an un used one that already exists.

Plan the location of the switch or push button to activate the horn in the cab before you start too so that you have enough wire.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
Plenty of places to buy horns at and it is very easy to do. No need for a relay if you pull from an appropriate 12volt source (you'd have to pull from that source to hook to the relay anyway, so just go direct) but definitely put in an in line fuse. Been doing 12 volt for years and a horn would be one of the simplest hookups you could do. The biggest challenge is often running the wire from the horn in the engine compartment through the firewall and into the cab of the truck where the switch is. You can usually find a grommet that you could share an opening with like the hood release cable or an un used one that already exists. Plan the location of the switch or push button to activate the horn in the cab before you start too so that you have enough wire.
It's not that you can't hook a horn up without relay. I own a Jeep Wrangler. They have a "canbus" electrical system. If you have electrical problems, take it to a dealer and they discover you altered the original system, they will void your warranty. I'm not willing to take that risk.
97Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Powerstroke View Post

It's not that you can't hook a horn up without relay. I own a Jeep Wrangler. They have a "canbus" electrical system. If you have electrical problems, take it to a dealer and they discover you altered the original system, they will void your warranty. I'm not willing to take that risk.
If he was looking at integrating this into an existing system that is already pulling amps or integrates to another piece of equipment that interfaces via the CAN bus (think fog lights and high/low beams here) than yes a relay would be recommended to only require a small current to cause the switch in the relay to open/close and than the power would be supplied off the 12v+ side connected to the 87 pin of the relay. The difference here is he is looking for a separate button to activate the horn. This could run from a 12 volt constant source directly to the horn with a button acting as the switch in between the connection.

Ependydad, it is easy to do. Dont let us make it sound complicated..... Or is it too late for that
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck