Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #1

Has anyone added tail lights?

I have a wildcat fifth wheel that has a cargo rack that we put our bikes on. If I cover the bikes you can not see the tail lights. Has anyone added tail lights higher up so that they can still be seen? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

Yes I have.I bought the LED ones that Harbor Freight sells.I put them four feet up directly above the OEM lights.I call them my BIL lights as he can see them from back in traffic easily. I tied into the stock lights and used an flat wire loom on the outside of the camper.Was a easy to do mod.My first 5er had the rack on the back and these just show up better I have a picture,but I'll have to find it.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
I have a wildcat fifth wheel that has a cargo rack that we put our bikes on. If I cover the bikes you can not see the tail lights. Has anyone added tail lights higher up so that they can still be seen? Thanks.
Almost........I have bought the lenses......hope to install them at FROG.

It's not just bikes........if you are in heavy traffic (Atlanta, Dallas, etc), the car that is 10 cars back can't see your turn signal down low. In fact, on some trailers, only the car behind you can. Putting them up high lets everyone see your signal.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Yes I have.I bought the LED ones that Harbor Freight sells.I put them four feet up directly above the OEM lights.I call them my BIL lights as he can see them from back in traffic easily. I tied into the stock lights and used an flat wire loom on the outside of the camper.Was a easy to do mod.My first 5er had the rack on the back and these just show up better I have a picture,but I'll have to find it.
If you remember, where did you get the flat wire conduit/loom?
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
Senior

I installed a set above the stock lights on my Forester MBS 2401W. I bought a pair of led trailer lights on Amazon that I installed a couple of feet above the existing lights so they would be visable above my toad. I concealed the wiring by creating a hole in the foam insulation with a hot piece of wire. I could then use the wire to pull the electric wire back up for the lights.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #6

Those look good. Thanks!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
I installed a set above the stock lights on my Forester MBS 2401W. I bought a pair of led trailer lights on Amazon that I installed a couple of feet above the existing lights so they would be visable above my toad. I concealed the wiring by creating a hole in the foam insulation with a hot piece of wire. I could then use the wire to pull the electric wire back up for the lights.
Thanks. This is exactly what I'm looking to do.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #8

Same issue with my '07 Cardinal. Seems to be a design flaw in many RVs. I didn't know it was an issue until a driver followed me into a parking lot on the left and told me he couldn't tell I was turning. My 5er has the old-fashioned 4" square bumper that was supposed to be used to store the sewer hose. Since the hose doesn't fit with the fittings attached, I don't use it for that. I bought a pair of taillights with threaded tube at the bottom, drilled holes on top at each end of the bumper and attached the lights. Wiring was just a matter of finding the wires to the original tail lights and splicing wires from the new lights into them. I used a test lamp to determine which wire was which (tail/brake/ground). The whole thing took less than an hour.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I didn't know it was an issue until a driver followed me into a parking lot on the left and told me he couldn't tell I was turning.
There are drivers out there that still won't be able to see tail lights wherever you install them until they get a "window" installed where their navel is -- If you know what I mean.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #10

Awesome people and help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
As always, I turn to the experts on this site to answer my questions. Thanks to the replies to my original post, I went ahead and added tail lights higher up in order to be seen. Thanks again everyone.Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	148738

Tags
light