Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

hdmi DTV outs ? how to connet ?

ok, so i thought i was doing myself a favor by getting DTV to come out and swap out my last old box for a newer HD unit, but i just realized (from reading an earlier post) that i now only have HDMI outs, how will i connect the newer box to the coax "in" on the trailer to watch the mounted tv's ? do they make an adapter that will go from hdmi to coax in ?
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

You will probably need a couple of devices to do this. 1st, you need an HDMI to composite converter and then a composite to RF. Look at these devices.

Amazon.com: ViewHD Universal HDMI to Composite / AV Video Converter, Support PAL / NTSC Standard TVs: Electronics

Amazon.com: Dynex Compact RF Modulator: Electronics
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
ok, so i thought i was doing myself a favor by getting DTV to come out and swap out my last old box for a newer HD unit, but i just realized (from reading an earlier post) that i now only have HDMI outs, how will i connect the newer box to the coax "in" on the trailer to watch the mounted tv's ? do they make an adapter that will go from hdmi to coax in ?
If you're not going to use the HDMI, or can't, you would be better off going back to the old unit. Expecially if you're running it into the coax.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #4

i almost wish i had kept my old box, but they took it when i upgraded (for free) to my 3rd hd box.. so it's gone. Even called my DTV guy and it's long gone he said.

I picked up a powered (regular plug that goes into the wall) RF modulator from Radio Shack. RF Modulator : Converters | RadioShack.com
$30 or so.. the guy there was pretty sure as well that i just use the 3 rca jack plugs from the hd box to the rf modulator, then run the coax from the rfM to the outlet on the trailer (or directly to tv). Will see !
Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
If you're not going to use the HDMI, or can't, you would be better off going back to the old unit. Especially if you're running it into the coax.
May be MUCH cheaper too as non-HD service is less expensive with many providers.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...r-solution.pdf
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #6

Look on Craig's List. You can probably "get your old box back" very cheaply.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #7

I still have 2 other "old" boxes laying around though.. LOL ! figured i would let them take this one. With dtv i am actually not paying any more to have the 3rd hd box, and the nice thing about having that box is it's a dvr. So i can stop-start-record with it, store some movies on it, and have them ready to go in case sat. signal is not good in the woods. Also the remote is better with this new box than the old box. It will be a bonus if i can somehow get a hd signal but doubting that happens.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #8

Have you upgraded your satellite dish you use for the camper to an HD dish? If not, you will not be able to receive an HD signal. Also, if you plan on using the HD signal for more than one TV, you will need a SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch)
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
Have you upgraded your satellite dish you use for the camper to an HD dish? If not, you will not be able to receive an HD signal. Also, if you plan on using the HD signal for more than one TV, you will need a SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch)

pretty sure the extra dish i have that is going to go on a tripod is not HD ready.. need to find out from my local dtv guy if i can upgrade that somehow.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #10

Unless things have changed in the last year or so you're looking at having to spend a couple of bucks to get HD. Not only will you need to get an HD dish, you will most likely have to get a new tripod for the dish because the HD dish is larger and much heavier than a standard definition dish. Also, the mast of the HD dish is larger. In all, we dropped a little over $300 for our upgrade. Here is a link of the company we bought our tripod from, there may be others out there that are cheaper but this one is NICE! We went with the heavy duty combo package.

TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod
Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #11

but worst case do ya think my hd box and present standard dish/tripod, will allow me to watch dtv in standard def ? I have 2 more older non-hd boxes in the house, but i'm not presently paying to have those activated..
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #12

You shouldn't have any problem with your current set-up as long as you are ok with standard definition. The extra cost/equipment only comes into play if you want HD.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #13

OK! got the HD dtv set up working.
would have been way easier to stick with the standard def box, but hey.. once you have had HD it's realllllly hard to go back. LOL
I needed a HD dish (little bigger, oval shape, longer lnb arm), then needed a power thing that sends power to the dish. It plugs into an outlet, and the coax comes from the dish, to this power box, then you run the coax to the hd receiver, then your hdmi to the TV.
Run your set up and find a signal. Done. dtv gave me a special splitter that you can use if you use another box and want to watch different programs on separate tv's. You can watch the SAME program on a 2nd tv IF you have a special hdmi splitter. It comes out of the receiver and the hdmi splits to both tv's. He did say that some will work, some wont' and Amazon is best place for these.. read reviews of those using an HD signal before ya buy.

Question: the little $25 standard deff signal meter will NOT work with this set up, does anyone have a signal meter that does work with a HD setup ? the dtv guy indicated the one they use is like $1500 (obviously not gonna buy that).
Old 06-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #14

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-41951.html
got the meter thing sorted out..
2013 forest river xlr27hfs hyperlite