Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2021, 10:32 PM   #1

Help modifying shower insert to prevent water leaks

We own a 2016 Cardinal 3825fl with a large one piece shower. The previous owner was tall and added a shower head mount just above the rim of the shower. I was standing on the step inside the shower and could see that the top of the shower was not sitting tight against the wall and could allow water to spill down behind it. Because of the way it bows, it's too large a gap to plug with caulking. I was in a park model recently and saw the builder had used some type on plastic trim along the top of the shower to better seal it from splashing water. Both ends of the shower seem to be tightly sealed. It's just the one side that does not fit correctly. I'd like to find a solution that will look good and match the color of the shower.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABC shower.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	257869  
Wayfaring Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
Site Team

How about flexible inside corner. It would seal both the horizontal and vertical surfaces.

Old 06-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
How about flexible inside corner. It would seal both the horizontal and vertical surfaces.

I like what I see. I'll do a search and see where I can get some to place along the top of the shower to prevent water from getting behind the shower insert.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:29 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfaring Stranger View Post
We own a 2016 Cardinal 3825fl with a large one piece shower. The previous owner was tall and added a shower head mount just above the rim of the shower. I was standing on the step inside the shower and could see that the top of the shower was not sitting tight against the wall and could allow water to spill down behind it. Because of the way it bows, it's too large a gap to plug with caulking. I was in a park model recently and saw the builder had used some type on plastic trim along the top of the shower to better seal it from splashing water. Both ends of the shower seem to be tightly sealed. It's just the one side that does not fit correctly. I'd like to find a solution that will look good and match the color of the shower.

Any ideas?
And why not remount it back inside the shower stall like originally installed?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #5

Is the shower enclosure springy enough that you can make it touch the wall with light manual force? If so, I'd consider using a "contact" type adhesive to bond the two together.

The directions vary, but are usually something like "Spread on both surfaces, wait five minutes, then press together." They will instantly grab when pressed together.

Some varieties are flowing liquid, some are paste that comes in a caulking gun cartridge. With the paste type you apply it, immediately press together and release, then wait a few minutes. When you press the second time, the two surfaces instantly bond.

If this were my job, I'd use the paste type.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Is the shower enclosure springy enough that you can make it touch the wall with light manual force? If so, I'd consider using a "contact" type adhesive to bond the two together.

The directions vary, but are usually something like "Spread on both surfaces, wait five minutes, then press together." They will instantly grab when pressed together.

Some varieties are flowing liquid, some are paste that comes in a caulking gun cartridge. With the paste type you apply it, immediately press together and release, then wait a few minutes. When you press the second time, the two surfaces instantly bond.

If this were my job, I'd use the paste type.
It requires a fair amount of pressure to push the shower insert up against the wall. I can't imagine and type of adhesive holding the two together for very long. It could even result in the insert rebounding away from the wall and pulling the wallpaper with it.

All it took was for someone to frame the shower stall just a fraction of an inch too small for the shower insert. They had no issue sealing the two ends tightly against the framing, but they must have realized that forced a bowing of the long side, that they chose to ignore, possibly because it is mostly unseen unless you climb up higher than the edge to view the gap.

I'm expecting Amazon to drop off a section of 3/4 inch insta-trim tomorrow;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_b_prod_image

I think this is my best option to hide the gap and protect from water getting in behind the shower insert.

Tags
leak, show, shower, vent, water, water leak