Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

Home Theater Receiver

I have a new Onkyo receiver and would like to install it to replace the receiver that came with the RV. Just a little bit nervous about tackling this. Anybody out there done anything like this? Thank you.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #2

Hey Bob, what model receiver are you going with?

Full Time RV living in my 2014 SunSeeker 3170DS
WarpedJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #3

Onkyo TX-NR686
Old 08-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #4

I did, i abandoned thw stock speakers. Cut the cabinet and added a outlet. Installed a sony 5.1 receiver with klh speakers hard wired
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #5

Geez that's a big unit for your trailer

I have no idea what's in your trailer from the factory...hopefully it's not the same super-cheap Furrion head unit with all the in-wall speakers wired in 2 mono zones that my TT has. If so, you'd probably be best to just ignore them and put in your own system. Something like what cmysstailights is talking about...if you can get wiring poked through your walls. I had no luck trying to do that, as it seems FR glued the insulation in place in my walls.

This is what I wound up doing, which is basically a 2.1 system with a tiny little amp, nothing like what you've bought...and obviously without surround sound.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...od-214172.html

I'd try to do a little research on figuring out how hard it would be to run your surround speakers' wiring through your walls. If your walls are like mine, and presuming you want the surround sound capabilities of your receiver, maybe a wireless speaker system would be best. Unless the current in-wall speakers and wiring are actually *good* and in that case you could just use them.

You might be able to get a wiring diagram from FR. If not, you'd have to use a multimeter to figure out where all the speakers are wired to in the stock gang connector (presuming that the stock head unit uses a gang connector...most do). A multimeter doesn't push much juice, but it's enough to see the speaker cone move a little if you have the grilles off. You're going to have to cut all the wires out of the stock gang connector to hook them up to your Onkyo unit, and that means knowing where each wire pair is for each speaker in the trailer.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #6

Thanks for the info! I do have the wiring diagram from the existing receiver, but like you say, I'll have to cut the wires anyway to hook up to the Onkyo. Hoping to use the existing wiring and replacing the stock speakers. It's a pretty straight swap-out, just a little intimidating when you first look at the wiring. Power is there, but I might have to add a cut-in ring to get the rest of the wiring to the receiver. Again, thanks!
Old 08-17-2020, 06:11 PM   #7

Hopefully the color coding on the wiring will be helpful.

One quick bit for cases where you're having a hard time figuring out which wire/terminal is positive and which is negative: With a multimeter set to the lowest DC voltage range (or even a small battery, like a AAA), touch the negative and positive leads to the wires/terminals and see which way the cone moves. If it moves out, you've got the polarity right...if it moves in, you have it backwards.

Not that it makes a huge difference anyway...you'd have to have sound testing equipment and be really picky to care a whole lot, but may as well get everything connected the way nature intended

Tags
heater