Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Summer2Go

If you use 2 batteries wired together, do you need a to get a big battery box to hold them both?

My original battery is a couple years old now. When I replace it, I want to have more batteries, probably two, but can they be in 2 separate battery boxes if the are wired together? Or do I need one box to hold multiple batteries?
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #2

Boxes immaterial if they are wired correctly.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Summer2Go

So you can wire the two batteries to work together with two separate boxes?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #4

Yes.

If two 12 volt batteries make sure to connect positive to positive and negative to negative on the two batteries.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #5

That's how mine are,
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473642051550.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	142029
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
My original battery is a couple years old now. When I replace it, I want to have more batteries, probably two, but can they be in 2 separate battery boxes if the are wired together? Or do I need one box to hold multiple batteries?

The battery box(es) are for protection from the elements and are cosmetic. How they are wired together has nothing to do with the box(es). However, a single box containing both (or more) batteries looks cleaner and eliminates the need to run wires between the batteries outside the boxes. Even with one box containing all batteries you will still have one positive and one negative conductor running from the batteries to the outside of the box.

It is entirely up to you and your situation.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

I just completed adding a 2nd battery AND a real cut off switch. I used 2 boxes. The original is vented outside of the coach and instead of cutting another hole and adding another vent the new box is vented to the original. There is little reason to add another battery without a real cutoff that shuts everything off.!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #8

If you do all of dry off the grid camping, would suggest to you to replace your one battery with (2 ) 6 volts golf cart batteries. These will hold a charge and lasts much longer than the standard 12 volts.. All you need to do in wire them in "series" to get back to 12 volts..
The battery box is your choice..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #9

This is how I did mine.

Hi, When I was working on my Batteries, I redid everything, added 2 New Moroso Battery Boxes and also added a Barrey Cutoff Switch and a Connector to plug into my Battery Charger, that I use when I store the Trailer away for the winter.

Thanks for looking.

Tim Hill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Boxes.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	142103  
timcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #10

If using two 6-volt batteries wired in series, understand, that if one fails you will have only 6-volts; thus no power to the trailer. And even if the likelihood of one failing is low, it can and does happen. (I have a friend who will attest to that. )
At least with two 12-volt batteries, if one fails, you will still have 12-volts to run the 12-volt items in the trailer.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #11

I replaced the battery box with a large plastic tool chest I had in my garage. It is a hinged Sterilite 18419004 storage trunk that was small enough to fit down between the rails at the tongue. I have room for two batteries in it with some additional room for tools (a gallon of DI water, small grease gun, hatchet and bow saw). I mounted the 12v shutoff thru the side and drilled a couple of holes in the bottom in case I get water leakage into it while driving.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...cture16949.jpg
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #12
Summer2Go

I can't find those Moroso battery boxes anywhere. How do the batteries sit in the boxes? 2 in each box, and side by side, or end to end?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
If using two 6-volt batteries wired in series, understand, that if one fails you will have only 6-volts; thus no power to the trailer. And even if the likelihood of one failing is low, it can and does happen. (I have a friend who will attest to that. )

At least with two 12-volt batteries, if one fails, you will still have 12-volts to run the 12-volt items in the trailer.

A scenario preached by 12v owners, but most serious boondockers use 6v batteries because of their proven track record and power capacity.

If dropping a 6v battery was a real concern boondockers wouldn't use them.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
A scenario preached by 12v owners, but most serious boondockers use 6v batteries because of their proven track record and power capacity.

I agree.. I have never heard of anyone using 6v golf cart batteries having a problem like that, loosing one. A very remote possibility. 12v or 6v, you still need to maintain them properly and check them periodically. I use a Hydrometer to check each cell..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #15

2 12 volts if 1 fails it drains the other one. I had 2 12 volt one and had to replace them every other year. I put in 2 6 v and have had them for 2 trailers and for 6 years or so.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #16

I also bought 2 deeper battery boxes.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #17

Hi, I got The Moroso Boxes from Summit Racing, each one holds a Standard 12 Volt Battery, they fit nicely and have about 2 1/2 at the top of the Battery.
timcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post

Never heard does not mean it does NOT happen!

I actually never heard of a 12 or 6 volt battery completely going either a year ago; however, when I moved to ID the guy down the road with a Lance trailer explained how a 6V battery destroyed a weekend by failing on the first day.

And I only noted it; I DID NOT PREACH IT LEARN THE DIFFERENCE! I guess I could say the opposite is true for 6 volt owners, they never fail to tell how their batteries are the best. But you tell me something that is made by mankind that CAN NEVER FAIL, please list them (RHETORICAL SINCE I WILL NOT BE BACK TO READ).

I really could care less if someone's battery fails when they are camping since it will not be a problem for me. I probably boondock more than 95% of the people on this forum (and yes, it is in a popup trailer so who cares about those in small cheap trailers) and I have used 2-12 volts for five years and always had power.

I will not be returning to this thread, in fact, I will NOT be returning to this forum. Tired of all the BS from people on here for those of us who prefer to have a small trailer and not a big expensive trailer. I'll be hanging out on popup only forums from now on.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Never heard does not mean it does NOT happen!

I actually never heard of a 12 or 6 volt battery completely going either a year ago; however, when I moved to ID the guy down the road with a Lance trailer explained how a 6V battery destroyed a weekend by failing on the first day.

And I only noted it; I DID NOT PREACH IT LEARN THE DIFFERENCE! I guess I could say the opposite is true for 6 volt owners, they never fail to tell how their batteries are the best. But you tell me something that is made by mankind that CAN NEVER FAIL, please list them (RHETORICAL SINCE I WILL NOT BE BACK TO READ).

I really could care less if someone's battery fails when they are camping since it will not be a problem for me. I probably boondock more than 95% of the people on this forum (and yes, it is in a popup trailer so who cares about those in small cheap trailers) and I have used 2-12 volts for five years and always had power.

I will not be returning to this thread, in fact, I will NOT be returning to this forum. Tired of all the BS from people on here for those of us who prefer to have a small trailer and not a big expensive trailer. I'll be hanging out on popup only forums from now on.

Wow.

Lots of misdirected anger here. LOL!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #20
Summer2Go

You are very sadly mistaken. Many of us have owned a pop-up and simply have chosen to upgrade our camper out of need or necessity. This is a forum where we come to share and learn, and oh yes- debate what is going to work. We all have had different experiences learning what we know, in the end we put it out there for the good of all.

Tags
batteries, battery