Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #1

In motion satellite

Hi -
we are talking about getting an in motion satellite installed on our Georgetown - our friends have a Wingard T4 and it seems to be a pretty good one but wanted to see if anyone had any other opinions to share -

We have DISH, and RV in Oregon/WA, so it needs to be able to see those satellites. -

Thanks!
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #2

anyone have any experience installing a permanent dish on your own? the local shop wants to charge me $500 more for the dish than I can get it for online (i'm willing to pay an upcharge, but that's insane) and then another $1000 or so for installation, which seems pretty high. I'm a bit hesitant to have CW do it either - their pricing is better but not sure I trust they know what they are doing.

my husband and I are pretty handy and have done most of the modifications we have ourselves, but haven't been able to find a lot of information online on how to do it yourself -

would appreciate any advice anyone has! Thanks in advance
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #3

any 'in motion' antenna will be a portable variety, which you can mount on the roof, or even use on the ground, when needed. You don't 'have' to mount it permanently to the roof.

whether it's an 'in motion' type, or not, the installation is really no different, and I certainly would not pay someone more than a couple hundred $ to do it - you can buy the antenna yourself.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #4

also, are you wanting the 'in motion' type 'just because' your friends have it, and you'll be watching a LOT of tv while traveling(moving), or you just like the CHANNELS they receive?

The 'in motion' antennas are very expensive, and for a reason: they have to constantly monitor the 'view' of where the satellite is as compared to the movement of the motorhome, which is constant, and must constantly 'adjust' the eyeball(LNB) to compensate for it - which is not necessarily always foolproof since also trees, buildings, overpasses, and other things can interfere with the signal as you are moving.

The regular portable antennas are what most folks use, as they don't watch 'tv' channels until they are parked and setup. These are MUCH cheaper, and work just as well, and can be set anywhere on the roof, or outside on the ground, when you arrive.

You may also find that you'd rather run COAX cable yourself, and run it directly to where the RECEIVER is going to sit, usually next to the TV that you watch the most. If you try to use the existing 'bomb'(box of many buttons) to attach your coax to, you may find that it's more trouble. Also, don't try to connect your antenna to your outside 'cable' inlet, as they are not designed to support satellite signals.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have an in motion satellite because that’s about the only time my wife and kids watch tv, while in motion. I had mine installed as part of the deal I had made when purchased coach. It certainly isn’t rocket science to mount one. All you need is 12v and a coax. Some coaches come with both already wired to the roof.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
also, are you wanting the 'in motion' type 'just because' your friends have it, and you'll be watching a LOT of tv while traveling(moving), or you just like the CHANNELS they receive?

The 'in motion' antennas are very expensive, and for a reason: they have to constantly monitor the 'view' of where the satellite is as compared to the movement of the motorhome, which is constant, and must constantly 'adjust' the eyeball(LNB) to compensate for it - which is not necessarily always foolproof since also trees, buildings, overpasses, and other things can interfere with the signal as you are moving.

The regular portable antennas are what most folks use, as they don't watch 'tv' channels until they are parked and setup. These are MUCH cheaper, and work just as well, and can be set anywhere on the roof, or outside on the ground, when you arrive.

You may also find that you'd rather run COAX cable yourself, and run it directly to where the RECEIVER is going to sit, usually next to the TV that you watch the most. If you try to use the existing 'bomb'(box of many buttons) to attach your coax to, you may find that it's more trouble. Also, don't try to connect your antenna to your outside 'cable' inlet, as they are not designed to support satellite signals.
Thanks - we already have a portable antenna that we've used the past few seasons - but we are going to take some longer trips and thought the in-motion would be a nice addition (as well as a bit easier to set up when we're parked, since it will be on the roof already) So we're familiar with all the potential pitfalls of a roof-mounted system (and will hang onto the portable for just that reason!)

Also - it is possible to attach the satellite to the outside 'cable' inlet if it's wired correctly - our current setup uses the cable inlet in the rear compartment - which feeds our receiver box (which is over the passenger side in the front) To maintain an HDMI signal, we did bypass the coax going to the TV's inside and have the receiver hooked up to an HDMI transmitter. Works like a charm.
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I have an in motion satellite because that’s about the only time my wife and kids watch tv, while in motion. I had mine installed as part of the deal I had made when purchased coach. It certainly isn’t rocket science to mount one. All you need is 12v and a coax. Some coaches come with both already wired to the roof.
Yeah - since we already own the coach, the deals are few and far between unfortunately - I believe it's already prewired for it on the roof, but need to do some checking to make sure. If that's the case, it's probably pretty straightforward I would think.

Thanks for the note!
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #8

In Motion

We had the T4 installed, by the time I bought the receivers (one for living room/one for bedroom) and antenna (on line, $400 less then dealer) and installed I was in for around $2600. Now $80 a month for dish, month to month. I have had issues, connecting at several campgrounds. In motion, you got to remember this is not a hard wired system like at home. Connection is in and out even on flat ground and no obstacles. I have learned when reserving campgrounds try to face south with no trees.
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post
anyone have any experience installing a permanent dish on your own? the local shop wants to charge me $500 more for the dish than I can get it for online (i'm willing to pay an upcharge, but that's insane) and then another $1000 or so for installation, which seems pretty high. I'm a bit hesitant to have CW do it either - their pricing is better but not sure I trust they know what they are doing.

my husband and I are pretty handy and have done most of the modifications we have ourselves, but haven't been able to find a lot of information online on how to do it yourself -

would appreciate any advice anyone has! Thanks in advance
Garren
Have you tried looking on YouTube. I have seen several videos discribing how to. Very informative.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post
Yeah - since we already own the coach, the deals are few and far between unfortunately - I believe it's already prewired for it on the roof, but need to do some checking to make sure. If that's the case, it's probably pretty straightforward I would think.

Thanks for the note!
Garren
At some RV shows they have vendors that are willing to do a simple install for the price of the antenna
Old 02-03-2019, 07:20 PM   #11

Wouldn’t it be a lot simpler to just change over to cellular based system? A good hotspot device on an AT&T or Verizon unlimited plan (prepaid only unlimited option now) and an AppleTV or Amazon Fire will give you great Dish or DTV service while driving.

Tags
lite, satellite