RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #321

New paint...

During reinstallation into the camper, I put new weatherstripping tape all around to ensure a tight seal. Apparently, you don't want any of the "bad air" from the compartment getting into the living quarters.

There was also plenty of insulation attached to the walls of the compartment prior to sliding the fridge into place.

So, it's in place and secured...

Now the wiring and gas line get connected...

Done!!...

...more to come...

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #322

I have told you before, but, you are really talented, you should think about opening a repair shop.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #323

A brand new hot water heater is going in. It is pretty much identical to the original ( physical size, anyway...), but the original ran on propane only.

This new one is propane and electric. So, I ran three wires from the fuse box out to the heater compartment. (The 3 loose wires that you see were not hooked up to the 12V side, they got wired into the 120V side of the panel...)

Got the new hot water heater slid into place, and laid some butyl tape around the opening and around the door frame...

I also gave the door frame a bead of white sealant ...

Well, that's it for now...

Rich

Old 11-25-2017, 05:47 PM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
I have told you before, but, you are really talented, you should think about opening a repair shop.
If only you knew...

I owned a metal fabrication shop for 31 years, specializing in building industrial metal fabrications. I also repaired all types of things, as well. You learn a lot as you go along, here....

I just got done doing some bodywork to my truck...I am NOT an auto body guy (as I see that you are...). If I told you the whole story, you'd cry!!

Thanks for the kudos!

Rich

Old 11-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #325

Anytime you need some advice or have a question about body work, just pm me and I will do all I can to help.

Good Luck with the projects
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:49 PM   #326

Rich:

I didn't see a 110VAC outlet near your water heater installation, so maybe you wired it directly to your breaker panel. Many TT's these days have a 110VAC outlet near the water heater and the heater simply plugs into it (although it's one of those lousy "RV" outlets). You turn it on/off with the outside switch.

Some of us have put a switch inside to turn it on/off, leaving the outside switch ON. Here's a pic of my installation, and a wiring diagram and switch PN. When I drain my heater, I turn it off at the outside switch. After I fill the heater, I turn it on at the outside switch and leave it that way. Then I can cycle it from the inside.

New box to hold a REAL 110VAC outlet:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150620_161431_378.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	157179

Hole under bathroom sink for switch:

Name:	IMG_20150620_163402_906.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	157180

Box in hole under bathroom sink for switch:

Name:	IMG_20150620_163631_023.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	157181

Installed switch:

Name:	IMG_20150620_180321_330.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	157182

See wiring diagram attached below:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WH Switch.pdf (119.1 KB, 11 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #327

I have been following your thread for some time. I am impressed by your attention to detail and the skill-set that you have. If I had troubles, you are the person to ask for advise in a major re-construction effort. Just saw the last set of photos and (I may have missed some over this year) makes me want to ask... What is your trade?

You have big skills in my eyes...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #328

Thanks, Rich for the pictures. The camper is really comming together! Does the refrigerator work ok? Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:40 PM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
Anytime you need some advice or have a question about body work, just pm me and I will do all I can to help.

Good Luck with the projects
I will!! ...in the future. I watched about a thousand youtube videos beforehand, but actually pulling it off successfully is a whole other challenge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Rich:

I didn't see a 110VAC outlet near your water heater installation, so maybe you wired it directly to your breaker panel. Many TT's these days have a 110VAC outlet near the water heater and the heater simply plugs into it (although it's one of those lousy "RV" outlets). You turn it on/off with the outside switch.

Some of us have put a switch inside to turn it on/off, leaving the outside switch ON. Here's a pic of my installation, and a wiring diagram and switch PN. When I drain my heater, I turn it off at the outside switch. After I fill the heater, I turn it on at the outside switch and leave it that way. Then I can cycle it from the inside.
It is wired right into the breaker panel, so for now I'll just leave it that way. I had no idea about installing an outlet / switch.

But....I will save your diagram in the event that I ever have a change of heart! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I have been following your thread for some time. I am impressed by your attention to detail and the skill-set that you have. If I had troubles, you are the person to ask for advise in a major re-construction effort. Just saw the last set of photos and (I may have missed some over this year) makes me want to ask... What is your trade?

You have big skills in my eyes...
You humble me....I am a metal fabricator / welder by trade. I had my own business for 31 years. When things slowed down in 2008, I decided to go back to work for the company that taught me this trade back in 1974.

I now teach nuclear / non-nuclear pipe welding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Thanks, Rich for the pictures. The camper is really comming together! Does the refrigerator work ok? Jay.
Glad you enjoy the pictures, Jay...

When I bought the camper, I towed it to my friend's house so that he could give it the once over.

Being that I don't know squat about campers, and that he does, I had him check out all the mechanical stuff. He said that everything worked just fine. I would not have ventured in this deep into fixing this thing up if all the appliances, etc. didn't check out OK.

Rich.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #330

A couple of things....

First, I don't like the fact that the vent / opening on the hot water heater door will / can allow a directional rain to go right inside that heater compartment.

Secondly, lower opening cover of the refrigerator (where I hooked up the wiring / plumbing to the refrigerator) has large vent openings in it. Large bugs / mice could easily enter through these openings.

That bothers me. I think that I will figure something out to fix that without suffocating the appliances...

Has anyone else dealt with these issues?

Rich

Old 11-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #331

They make a screen kit for the refrigerator vent. I used screen that I had in the garage. I have never had any rain problems with the water heater cover. Even though I haven’t had any problems, next year I am going to attach a finer screen on the vent to keep the bugs out. After this years “invasion of the stink bugs” I sometimes I wonder if it makes any difference. A couple of members even had them between the 2pieces of glass on the microwave! Jay
Old 11-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #332

You have now reached the point of design improvement. Look to the newer models for inspiration. LOL...

Good luck and I am sure your mousetrap will be awesome...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
They make a screen kit for the refrigerator vent. I used screen that I had in the garage. I have never had any rain problems with the water heater cover. Even though I haven’t had any problems, next year I am going to attach a finer screen on the vent to keep the bugs out. After this years “invasion of the stink bugs” I sometimes I wonder if it makes any difference. A couple of members even had them between the 2pieces of glass on the microwave! Jay
Thanks, Jay. After reading your post I looked....and Amazon has a 3-piece kit. Those stink bugs seem to appear out of nowhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
You have now reached the point of design improvement. Look to the newer models for inspiration. LOL...

Good luck and I am sure your mousetrap will be awesome...
Some of my design improvement is purely by accident! For example...I didn't realize that the new water heater ran off of more options that the old one!

Rich

Old 11-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
A couple of things....

First, I don't like the fact that the vent / opening on the hot water heater door will / can allow a directional rain to go right inside that heater compartment.

Secondly, lower opening cover of the refrigerator (where I hooked up the wiring / plumbing to the refrigerator) has large vent openings in it. Large bugs / mice could easily enter through these openings.

That bothers me. I think that I will figure something out to fix that without suffocating the appliances...

Has anyone else dealt with these issues?

Rich

Here ya go Rich....Search - BUG SCREENS - Camping World

Or, you could challenge yourself and make your own. If you choose that route, I can't wait to see your designs. You have done an amazing job my friend!

BTW, are you planning on painting the fridge vent cover w/plastic paint?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #335
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
...So, I installed the fans from the topside, just to be sure that I could be done. It would have been easier to install them from inside the camper (because the fridge is out), but what good would that do me if I ever had to remove them from the top??
I mounted my 2 fans at the bottom of the refrigerator, just above the burner tube so they would blow cool air across the entire back of the frig. Much easier to replace from the ground than on top of the trailer.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post

Or, you could challenge yourself and make your own. If you choose that route, I can't wait to see your designs. You have done an amazing job my friend!

I used one of these screens on the large vent but if you have some steel screen lying around you could cut it to wedge in between the current grate and its cleaner. These screens don't really fit on the louvered vents on the left without mods to the springs.

I only had the vynal screen so I glued that to the intake on the left. So far it has worked. I have not used the gas yet so I will see how well it works then for sure. It would melt if you used it on the right side.

Great work on the restoration and thanks for sharing. I am learning lots by following the thread.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #337

I just finished binge-reading your post from the beginning, as many have already said I'm really impressed by the tenacity you've put into this project and appreciate the work in documenting your progress.
If I can make a suggestion, insulating the metal plenum of your A/C unit can make a noticeable difference in performance. It also reduces external condensation which can cause corrosion and even find it's way inside the trailer.
Here's what I did:

The material is called Refectix. It's like thin bubble wrap sandwiched between 2 layers of aluminized Mylar and available by the roll in most home centers. I just cut it to fit and adhered the panels to the plenum with spray adhesive. While I had the cover off I wrapped the suction lines from the compressor with self adhesive insulating tape, gotta keep the cold where it belongs! Here's a shot of that along with a hard start capacitor mod:

Everything fit nicely under the cover and the overall improvement was quite noticeable, especially down here in the Tropics of Texas!
Good luck with the rest of your project, really looking forward to the results. If you ever find yourself travelling to South Texas the beer is on me, you'll just have to ignore the Dallas Cowboys commemorative Koozie.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post

I don't think that I'll be painting it. That pic is an old one. I have since DA sanded the "yellow / dinginess" out of it, and sprayed the newly cleaned cover with clear coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I mounted my 2 fans at the bottom of the refrigerator, just above the burner tube so they would blow cool air across the entire back of the frig. Much easier to replace from the ground than on top of the trailer.
Sounds crazy, but there is really not much room for me to add a fan at the bottom. I bought a 3rd fan. I guess that I could try that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I used one of these screens on the large vent but if you have some steel screen lying around you could cut it to wedge in between the current grate and its cleaner. These screens don't really fit on the louvered vents on the left without mods to the springs.

I only had the vynal screen so I glued that to the intake on the left. So far it has worked. I have not used the gas yet so I will see how well it works then for sure. It would melt if you used it on the right side.

Great work on the restoration and thanks for sharing. I am learning lots by following the thread.
Thanks for the kudos. I'll figure something out on that intake vent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
I just finished binge-reading your post from the beginning, as many have already said I'm really impressed by the tenacity you've put into this project and appreciate the work in documenting your progress.
If I can make a suggestion, insulating the metal plenum of your A/C unit can make a noticeable difference in performance. It also reduces external condensation which can cause corrosion and even find it's way inside the trailer.
Here's what I did:

The material is called Refectix. It's like thin bubble wrap sandwiched between 2 layers of aluminized Mylar and available by the roll in most home centers. I just cut it to fit and adhered the panels to the plenum with spray adhesive. While I had the cover off I wrapped the suction lines from the compressor with self adhesive insulating tape, gotta keep the cold where it belongs! Here's a shot of that along with a hard start capacitor mod:

Everything fit nicely under the cover and the overall improvement was quite noticeable, especially down here in the Tropics of Texas!
Good luck with the rest of your project, really looking forward to the results. If you ever find yourself travelling to South Texas the beer is on me, you'll just have to ignore the Dallas Cowboys commemorative Koozie.
Did you do that out of necessity, or just because? The Cowboys don't bother me, none....I literally just got back from the NE Patriot / Miami Dolphin game about 90 minutes ago!

Rich

Old 11-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #339

The other day, when I moved the camper from our driveway to the new parking spot, of course I had to raise the front landing gear. This camper has the old hand-crank system.

The gear ratio is incredible....you turn the handle 100 times, and the landing gear moves about 1/2"....not fun!!

So, I made up this gizmo, that works off of my pneumatic impact gun...

This makes it more bearable.

I also have a battery powered impact gun.......

Rich

Old 11-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #340

I did the same a/c mod as shown in the pictures. The cold air blew a little colder although I didn’t measure before and after. I think it will show up more down south where it’s really hot. The hard start capicator mod is well worth it IMHO. My unit is a 2016 and I can tell it starts a lot easier than before. Someday you might get into a situation where the only source of power will be a generator, if that happens you will be very glad for that hard start capicator. Jay

Tags
repair, wildwood