RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
I don't think that I'll be painting it. That pic is an old one. I have since DA sanded the "yellow / dinginess" out of it, and sprayed the newly cleaned cover with clear coat.

Sounds crazy, but there is really not much room for me to add a fan at the bottom. I bought a 3rd fan. I guess that I could try that...

Thanks for the kudos. I'll figure something out on that intake vent...

Did you do that out of necessity, or just because? The Cowboys don't bother me, none....I literally just got back from the NE Patriot / Miami Dolphin game about 90 minutes ago!

Rich

Go PATS
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #342

Quote:

Did you do that out of necessity, or just because? The Cowboys don't bother me, none....I literally just got back from the NE Patriot / Miami Dolphin game about 90 minutes ago!

Rich
Saw that game on the TV, that was quite the clinic they put on for the Dolphins.
I did the mods primarily due to the high heat and humidity in my locale. I did notice the interior would cool off quite a bit faster after insulating the plenum. The capacitor is because I plan on using a generator at times, and this helps give the compressor a little boost when kicking in.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:46 AM   #343
Just as confused as you

Quote:
A couple of things....

First, I don't like the fact that the vent / opening on the hot water heater door will / can allow a directional rain to go right inside that heater compartment.

Secondly, lower opening cover of the refrigerator (where I hooked up the wiring / plumbing to the refrigerator) has large vent openings in it. Large bugs / mice could easily enter through these openings.

That bothers me. I think that I will figure something out to fix that without suffocating the appliances...

Has anyone else dealt with these issues?

Rich
What I did was hot glue strips of fiberglass screen over each louver. Has worked fine for 3 years.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:58 AM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I did the same a/c mod as shown in the pictures. The cold air blew a little colder although I didnít measure before and after. I think it will show up more down south where itís really hot. The hard start capicator mod is well worth it IMHO. My unit is a 2016 and I can tell it starts a lot easier than before. Someday you might get into a situation where the only source of power will be a generator, if that happens you will be very glad for that hard start capicator. Jay
I think that I will probably leave it alone for now. Mainly because I have so much "absolutely necessary" stuff to finish. If, down the road a bit, I think that some of these upgrades are needed I'll do it then.

I'm just glad that all you fine folks have figured out solutions to all these situations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Go PATS
Man, the wind was cold there!! What kinda sucks is that the entire lower sections (which is where we were...) stand up for the entire game!! From the kickoff until you leave to go home! The only time they sit down is during halftime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Saw that game on the TV, that was quite the clinic they put on for the Dolphins.
I did the mods primarily due to the high heat and humidity in my locale. I did notice the interior would cool off quite a bit faster after insulating the plenum. The capacitor is because I plan on using a generator at times, and this helps give the compressor a little boost when kicking in.
Good game, but Brady looked a little shaky at times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
What I did was hot glue strips of fiberglass screen over each louver. Has worked fine for 3 years.
That sounds like a nice, simple solution!

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #345

Sure thing Rich. I understand the need to fix ďfirst things firstĒ. If you are in the Ohio area Iím buying the drinks. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:48 AM   #346

Quote:
Sure thing Rich. I understand the need to fix ďfirst things firstĒ. If you are in the Ohio area Iím buying the drinks. Jay
I think that I'm gonna like this camping stuff.....
Thanks, Jay!

Rich

Old 12-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #347

A few more things off the list...

I wanted to change the fridge door skins. The factory skin on this larger door is in nice shape, but the freezer door had some "road rash" spots on it...

At first I was going to put some new wood panels in, but changed my mind.

I've had these 20 ga. pieces of stainless steel hanging around for over 20 years.

I figured that I would give these a try. So, I started with the smaller panel, first...

I like the look of a DA finish on plain (2B finish) stainless . So, here we go...

Installed...

Looks OK, so I proceeded onto the larger panel...

Hard to really see it, but these panels have some scratches, tape glue, etc. on them. The DA finish camoflauges these defects well...

Before..

After..

Installed...

Door installed onto fridge...

Now, I don't think that this is a fantastic solution, but it'll be fine until I decide to change it, if I ever do...

I was going to get some darker brown colored spray paint recommended for plastics (Krylon Fusion) and paint the door frame around the stainless panels (more contrast), but thought better of it.

I was afraid that over time, even though the paints are designed for plastics, they are not perfected, and would chip, flake, or peel over time.

So, it is what it is...

...more to come...

Old 12-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #348

Next up is the installation of new brake backing plate assemblies. I ordered a set of 2 rights and 2 lefts from Amazon ( sold and shipped by the specific vendor...).

The first one took me some time, as I have never done this on a camper before.

This is a pic of the old one(s)...

The drum hubs have 2 sets of bearings and races in them. I bought new bearings and races to replace the old ones.

Races are pressed into the hubs. Most people bang them out with a hammer and punch, but you have to be careful not to gouge the bore that the race sits in.

So, another way to do this is to run a weld bead around the inside of the race. This will shrink the race, and it falls right out!..

This race literally fell right out of the bore...

Nice trick!!

Now, the drum inside needs to be cleaned up. The drums are in real nice shape, so I took a cup brush and wire wheeled the magnet riding surface, as well as the inner sides that the shoes ride on...

So, all the new bearings got hand-packed with grease, then the new races got tapped in using large sockets as drivers...

New bearing and seal...

...more to come...

Old 12-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #349

The wires had to be cut to remove the old backing plate...

Re-wired new plate...

New plate on...

After the wheel and tire go back on, the brakes got adjusted. One down, 3 more to go!

I got the second plate on that side(left side) of the camper done that day.

When I went to continue the job last Friday, I got the first plate / drum installed (right side).

So, I took the second old plate assy. off, went and grabbed the last of the new (right side) plates from the set that I ordered.

I start installing it, and noticed that the brake pads were not right. They sent me 3 left sides and 1 right side!!!

So, I called it a day. The following Monday I called the actual vendor that sold these, and they were great. Very apologetic, and sent the correct one right out.

I also got a shipping label to send back the extra left side plate that I have here.

So, when I get a chance, I'll finish this job up.

And lastly, I removed the heater vent cover. It was a little nasty, and I also didn't like the color...

At first, I was going to buy a replacement, and paint it, if necessary. I looked all over the internet but could not find one the exact same size.

So, I decided to make this one work. It got bead-blasted...

Primed and painted it...

I haven't installed it yet.

Well that's it for now.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Rich

Old 12-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #350

Rich:

Great work.

While you're still on the brakes, I would suggest you follow the brake ground wires to wherever it is they are grounded. Usually it's just a ring-connector screwed to the frame. These tend to corrode and you lose your ground. You may need to rework them.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #351

Beautiful work, I really like the stainless steel panels. Of course, once your DW sees that snappy-looking fridge, she'll take one look at the other appliances and begin a new wish list. Might as well start looking for a new stove/range now!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Rich:

Great work.

While you're still on the brakes, I would suggest you follow the brake ground wires to wherever it is they are grounded. Usually it's just a ring-connector screwed to the frame. These tend to corrode and you lose your ground. You may need to rework them.
Thank you for that advice. I would not have known to do that. And now I will check the grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Beautiful work, I really like the stainless steel panels. Of course, once your DW sees that snappy-looking fridge, she'll take one look at the other appliances and begin a new wish list. Might as well start looking for a new stove/range now!
I got her approval right after the smaller freezer door got done. So far, she hasn't mentioned anything else.

Just hope that she doesn't read your post.........

Rich

Old 12-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #353

It sure is good to see more progress on the camper. While the wheels are off be sure to inspect the leaf springs for cracked or broken leaves. Also look at the pivot in between the springs to move freely. I hope that you had a great Christmas like we did. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #354

Quote:
It sure is good to see more progress on the camper. While the wheels are off be sure to inspect the leaf springs for cracked or broken leaves. Also look at the pivot in between the springs to move freely. I hope that you had a great Christmas like we did. Jay
Christmas was very nice for our family, as well. That being said, we're happy that it is behind us...

I will certainly check out the suspension components more in depth later on...like when the weather warms up. We're in such a cold snap right now that I refuse to install the 4th and final backing plate because the temperature is a single digit all this week!

Eventually, the wheels will have to come back off for new tires.

Rich

Old 12-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #355

Hi Rich,
I am just wondering if you have kept track of your hours working on this camper? Might be interesting to know, but, I am sure you really don't care as this has been a labor of love not profit. Thanks for keeping us updated and wish you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year!!
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #356

I also really wish you were closer, I could use some refreshment on my welding, mostly TIG, I was a good welder at one time, but, l guess like playing piano, you got to practice all the time. Have fun.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
Hi Rich,
I am just wondering if you have kept track of your hours working on this camper? Might be interesting to know, but, I am sure you really don't care as this has been a labor of love not profit. Thanks for keeping us updated and wish you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year!!
I have no idea on how many hours have been invested. I look at it as, "it has to get done, just do it..." I was insane to even start this project, but at least the worst part is over.

Happy New Year to you, and all the other fine campers on this forum!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
I also really wish you were closer, I could use some refreshment on my welding, mostly TIG, I was a good welder at one time, but, l guess like playing piano, you got to practice all the time. Have fun.
Yes...it's like you describe...use it or lose it. Although, I actually surprised myself. The last time that I mirror-welded ( tig welding in a difficult spot, by looking into a mirror) was back in the 1980's.

Then, being self-employed , I never had to mirror weld.

BUT...when I went back to work at my current company (2010), I was forced into having to mirror-weld, again. To my surprise, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be...kinda like riding a bike!

Rich

Old 01-08-2018, 11:27 PM   #358
GnS

Iíll just add my .02 here, Rich. You have done a wonderful job and itís ironic that you are a weldor by trade. I am not, but I do have welding equipment for repair and hobby stuff. I rescued a 1962 round top that had been severely neglected and did a similar full on restore to it like you did with this camper. Labor of love for sure and thereís no way I can get out of it what I put into it. If you are interested, Iíll share the pics that I documented my project with. Hope to see you posting pics from the campsite later this year. Thanks for sharing your restoration journey. I just read all 18 pages of this thread.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:01 AM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS View Post
Iíll just add my .02 here, Rich. You have done a wonderful job and itís ironic that you are a weldor by trade. I am not, but I do have welding equipment for repair and hobby stuff. I rescued a 1962 round top that had been severely neglected and did a similar full on restore to it like you did with this camper. Labor of love for sure and thereís no way I can get out of it what I put into it. If you are interested, Iíll share the pics that I documented my project with. Hope to see you posting pics from the campsite later this year. Thanks for sharing your restoration journey. I just read all 18 pages of this thread.
I think we all would like to see your photos. Post away!

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:37 AM   #360

I agree with Evereddie....please post up pics of your welding machine restoration, GnS!

Rich

Tags
repair, wildwood