RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 04:51 AM   #401
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
That looks like some real progress. I didnít have any trouble seeing the pictures. I also agree that the backwards new material looks better. At this rate you might even get to camp early. Jay
I ended up re-loading the pictures. Live and learn...

Early? that'd be nice, but there's still quite a bit more to be done.

Including....NEW TIRES! I'll need suggestions! This ought to open up a can of worms!...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
The whole piece had adhesive. The pieces were about 3Ē wide. Yes it survive PA winters and summers fine. It also had that wood grain feel. It was all vinyl. Wife really loved it.
Sounds like a winner. I will look into those. Was your sub-floor plywood?

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #402
Senior Member
 
rmac04401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Franklin County, PA
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
I ended up re-loading the pictures. Live and learn...

Early? that'd be nice, but there's still quite a bit more to be done.

Including....NEW TIRES! I'll need suggestions! This ought to open up a can of worms!...........



Sounds like a winner. I will look into those. Was your sub-floor plywood?

Rich


It was particle board. You with plywood would be better surface than mine was to adhere to.
__________________
2019 Puma XLE 27QBC Toy Hauler
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #403
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Very nice floor! I was going to buy a type of plank flooring, but got scared off by being told that those floors have a lot of edges, etc., that could possibly lift due to the extreme temperature changes. I live in New England. It gets hot, and cold!

So, I decided to go with vinyl sheet flooring. But....I have heard that others have been successful with plank flooring in their campers.

Where do you mostly "reside"...in a warmer climate? How long ago did you install that floor?


BTW...that looks like a beautiful camper! Mine is like a slum compared to yours...

Rich

Well Rich, I too did a lot of debating on which way to go with flooring. My DW finally convinced me to go with the vinyl plank flooring by reminding me if it didn't work out, our investment was only $250 in flooring. I then wrangled over what type to get (snap together, adhesive strip, loose lay or stick down). I ultimately decided that the adhesive strip type would be best for an area that would be exposed to both movement (traveling) & temperature changes. This would allow the floor to "become one" which would be less susceptible to seams unsnapping or separating because then the floor could move/expand/contract as a whole rather than move against itself if it was glued down in its' entirety.

Now with that said, we have taken one 600 mile trip and has been exposed to near freezing night temps and warmed up during the day on several occasions with no signs of concern. The floor was installed this past November & has been lived in full time. So far, so good.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #404
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
It was particle board. You with plywood would be better surface than mine was to adhere to.
Thank you...I'm really glad we discussed this. I'm going to go with planks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Well Rich, I too did a lot of debating on which way to go with flooring. My DW finally convinced me to go with the vinyl plank flooring by reminding me if it didn't work out, our investment was only $250 in flooring. I then wrangled over what type to get (snap together, adhesive strip, loose lay or stick down). I ultimately decided that the adhesive strip type would be best for an area that would be exposed to both movement (traveling) & temperature changes. This would allow the floor to "become one" which would be less susceptible to seams unsnapping or separating because then the floor could move/expand/contract as a whole rather than move against itself if it was glued down in its' entirety.

Now with that said, we have taken one 600 mile trip and has been exposed to near freezing night temps and warmed up during the day on several occasions with no signs of concern. The floor was installed this past November & has been lived in full time. So far, so good.
OK...so, a "stuck-together, floating floor". That makes sense.

I will go with the Allure Traffic Master plank flooring.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #405
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 925
Rich, you have put a lot of work into this camper. You, better than most people would know how difficult it would be to fix damage caused by a blowout. I recommend that you go with Goodyear Endurance tires if using ST type tires. That is what I am going to put on my camper next year when my tires age out. Others, Iím sure have different opinions. What size tires do you have now? Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #406
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Rich, you have put a lot of work into this camper. You, better than most people would know how difficult it would be to fix damage caused by a blowout. I recommend that you go with Goodyear Endurance tires if using ST type tires. That is what I am going to put on my camper next year when my tires age out. Others, Iím sure have different opinions. What size tires do you have now? Jay
Current tires are ST 225/75R-15.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #407
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Rich, you have put a lot of work into this camper. You, better than most people would know how difficult it would be to fix damage caused by a blowout. I recommend that you go with Goodyear Endurance tires if using ST type tires. That is what I am going to put on my camper next year when my tires age out. Others, Iím sure have different opinions. What size tires do you have now? Jay
X2
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #408
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Thank you...I'm really glad we discussed this. I'm going to go with planks.


OK...so, a "stuck-together, floating floor". That makes sense.

I will go with the Allure
Traffic Master plank flooring.

Rich

Exactly!! The floor can float/move/expand/contract as necessary whether it be because of temp. changes or twisting caused by traveling down the road. I like that your floor is plywood. This should be a stiffer surface for the floor to lay flat on.

I think this is what we got.....maybe not the exact color/grain but, close.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...1053/100592904

You can see in the above link how it's installed. It was easy to work with....just score the back and bend it to break it off. Of coarse, notches and corners needed to be cut all the way through. And in case you're worried, the top layer (finish) is very tough to cut through & I dulled many a utility blade. So, comforting to know the surface will hold up to some use & abuse.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #409
Senior Member
 
DavidBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas Coastal Bend
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
X2
X3

I replaced my factory tires with GY Endurance, didn't even wait for them to wear out. The noticeable increase in weight alone over the original Overseas Explosives gives me peace of mind. Of course there are other choices, Maxxis and Carlisle have a strong following here as well.
Tires are among the top topics here, along with winterizing dos/dont's and "will my (insert truck here) pull a (insert trailer here).

Your rig is looking great, keep up the good work!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:48 AM   #410
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Thank you all for the advice!!...

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:51 PM   #411
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
A little more progress...

Started laying the new floor...



















Obviously, the trim to cover the expansion gap has to be installed. Still debating on using quarter-round or inside corner trim...

I'm glad that's done.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:53 AM   #412
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 459
Looks great Rich, very nice job. You are going to have a awesome rig when you take it out.
__________________
Dale & Karen
2015 Lacrosse 311RLS
2006 F-250 The 06-6.0
Dwilcox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #413
Senior Member
 
arter368rlbhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 292
I would recommend using base shoe mold for the edges of the floor.
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #414
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Don't see any snow outside. Did that last Nor'easter miss you?
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #415
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
A little more progress...

Started laying the new floor...



















Obviously, the trim to cover the expansion gap has to be installed. Still debating on using quarter-round or inside corner trim...

I'm glad that's done.

Rich

That's what I'm talkin' about Rich! Nice job & looks great!
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #416
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 925
Love how the floor color works so well with the wood tones in the rest of the camper. Any chance of sneaking it out before the first reservation? Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:31 AM   #417
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
Looks great Rich, very nice job. You are going to have a awesome rig when you take it out.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter368rlbhk View Post
I would recommend using base shoe mold for the edges of the floor.
I checked them out. Quite a selection! Thanks for "defining" them for me! I will certainly use one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Don't see any snow outside. Did that last Nor'easter miss you?
YES!! Thankfully, that storm completely missed us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
That's what I'm talkin' about Rich! Nice job & looks great!
Thanks...I feel like one of the "cool guys" , now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Love how the floor color works so well with the wood tones in the rest of the camper. Any chance of sneaking it out before the first reservation? Jay
We anguished over the color selection. Went back and forth between different big box stores (several times each).

We wanted a floor that provided some contrast to the lighter cabinets, but had a tinge of that cabinet color in the floor.

DW and her sisters absolutely love it.

I still have a ways to go before it's ready to hit the campgrounds. Awning has to be replaced, new tires, new tank blade valves need to be installed, a new additional electrical sub-panel needs to be added.

PLUS...I have to get some "backing into tight spots" practice time in.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #418
Senior Member
 
arter368rlbhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 292
No problem Rich, keep in mind base shoe is taller than it is wide(1/2 x 3/4 )Generally the reason itís used bc it looks less bulky then the 3/4 x 3/4 quarter round or cove molding. Just something to think about
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #419
Senior Member
 
AZ Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 166
impressive work. I have had travel trailers for about 14 years, and keeping the water out along with fixing the shoddy workmanship, they can be a challenge. You are an inspiration.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #420
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Update...

Well, I don't get it, but the pics on post # 412 don't show up on my computer....

Here's a refresher on the new floor...







I had to make a custom entry door threshold, so here's a stainless steel one...



Bought a new toilet. It is 2" taller than the original toilet. So, I had to make a longer tailpiece.

Soldered these 2 brass fittings together...





Installed...



...more to come...
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
repair, wildwood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.