RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #61

Great work! Thanks for allowing me to live my rebuilding dream vicariously through you.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
With a name like guttafixit, that compliment's gutta mean something!........

Thank you!

Rich
I've had that nic name for 25 years or so. I like to fix anything that is broken. So it's like Gutta Fix It/That. And not leaving it as broken....
guttafixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRVR View Post
Great work! Thanks for allowing me to live my rebuilding dream vicariously through you.
Okay then....dream on! On my end of it, some of it's been a nightmare!....

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttafixit View Post
I've had that nic name for 25 years or so. I like to fix anything that is broken. So it's like Gutta Fix It/That. And not leaving it as broken....
Sounds like someone else I know....

I think that people who can fix things have high IQ's.....

Rich

Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #65

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway.
My favorite saying is, "I might not be able to fix it, but I can make sure no one else can"

I love that handle rollscanardly. I need to figure out how to make mine, "the road to work is downhill both ways"

They told me to cheer up, things could be worse. So, I cheered up and sure enough they got worse!
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #66

My theory is if someone else can build/fix it so can I. Might take me longer to do it but time is on my side. Just because I didn't go to college for it doesn't make me stupid. I just do a lot of research. Glad for the internet... lol
Old 01-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #67

I have left some repairs for the so called experts, but many times disappointed when I can do it better. The trick is knowing when it is best to do this. It seems to me, being handy is skills learned by doing and a kind of curiosity that lingers into adulthood. College has nothing to do with it. About the internet... it is an amazing tool, but many times shows us so many things that we then want to do or to build.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #68

Quote:
My theory is if someone else can build/fix it so can I. Might take me longer to do it but time is on my side. Just because I didn't go to college for it doesn't make me stupid. I just do a lot of research. Glad for the internet... lol
Are you my twin brother?? I have the same approach. I research the crap out of anything I've never done before, and read reviews on products that I'm thinking of buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I have left some repairs for the so called experts, but many times disappointed when I can do it better. The trick is knowing when it is best to do this. It seems to me, being handy is skills learned by doing and a kind of curiosity that lingers into adulthood. College has nothing to do with it. About the internet... it is an amazing tool, but many times shows us so many things that we then want to do or to build.
WW
For years, my wife and I always did the maintenance on our home and property. As we get older, we've attempted to hire people to perform these tasks.

I'd say that we're batting about .500. Some of these professionals either aren't as talented as we'd hope they'd be, or they don't have the passion that we have when we do something.

But...the other half of the contractors, etc. have done a fine job.

The internet is a great tool for researching, but sometimes when you ask a question on a forum (I belong to several Jeep forums...)you get so many different answers, that you really have to scrutinize people's suggestions, and really try to figure out who's credible, or not.

Weekend's coming...back up on the camper roof!!

Rich

Old 01-27-2017, 08:31 PM   #69

"Are you my twin brother?? I have the same approach. I research the crap out of anything I've never done before, and read reviews on products that I'm thinking of buying."

I have to be... And btw... We also have a Jeep GC the 2nd Jeep we have owned... I have also joined a Jeep forum and used it a lot when I changed out my transfer case. And other things. I just got done replacing a strut in our focus while it's 34 degrees outside.. hahahaha
Old 01-28-2017, 05:49 AM   #70

Quote:
"Are you my twin brother?? I have the same approach. I research the crap out of anything I've never done before, and read reviews on products that I'm thinking of buying."

I have to be... And btw... We also have a Jeep GC the 2nd Jeep we have owned... I have also joined a Jeep forum and used it a lot when I changed out my transfer case. And other things. I just got done replacing a strut in our focus while it's 34 degrees outside.. hahahaha
Hey, Bro...that is too funny! I've also done emergency auto repairs outside in biting cold temperatures. Brrrrrrrr..."can't feel my fingers, anymore"...

I have 2 1979 CJ5's. The Jeep forum is a life saver for me, as I'm sure that the FR forums will be for me, moving forward. Lots of RV stuff to learn...

Well, back up on the camper roof again, today...

Rich

Old 01-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #71

Today's progress...

Going to start by covering this channel that joins the rubber roof to the aluminum front panel with 4" wide Eternabond tape...

It probably wouldn't leak as is, but I'm adding another layer of leak prevention insurance...

Drew a line to guide the placement of the tape's edge...

If you've never worked with this tape, it's a little gut-wrenching. You really want to get it in the right place, first try.

This application went very well. There's definitely a learning curve to applying this stuff...

Notice the roof vent cover,to the right. Resealing that is next.

more to come...

Old 01-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #72

I'm convinced that this roof has never been checked or maintained, and that the sealant is all original. I was amazed at how pliable and sticky it is, for being 18 years old.

When I removed the cover...

...I discovered this accumulation of debris...

It might be a good idea to check on this if you haven't already.

..gotta remove these clips...

Gone!

Decided to trim back some of the original sealant for some good tape adhesion...

Added a layer of Eternabond...

Had a crack in the vent cover. Added a bead on the inside and outside with a hot glue gun...

Cover reinstalled...

...more to come...

Old 01-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #73

This was a temporary cover that was installed on the stink pipe...

Time to replace it...

Getting rid of old sealant...

Gone, except for a little skim coat...

New cap...

Added new sealant...

Done for today...Amstel time!!

Rich

Old 01-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #74

We want to thank you for your post and so many pics. We are facing a similar repair this spring to a used unit we bought last year. The pics and detail have added to our encouragement to take on this repair full bore. Thank You again. We love the unit and want to fix it and enjoy it for several years.
KElive2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Believe it or not, the white has worn off! The white is still there, in protected areas, like under where the antenna was laying flat on the roof.

EPDM rubber is white on the topside, and black under the white. That's why there are black smudges all over my "white" repairs...i.e. the new rubber, new tape, etc.

That exposed black of the roof is like soot! It smears, and goes a long way! You should see my clothes!

Eventually, when I'm finished with all my roof repairs (mainly resealing all the penetrations), I will buy some of that RV roof coating.

After that, it'll be white again!

If you look at the first pics of the first post, you'll see that the RV was parked under a tree. It sat there for 6 years after the husband died.

The branches did that....what a shame...

Having lived in RI my entire life, that's my team!

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Maybe it'll help provide some insight on what's involved to someone else contemplating an RV revival.

Rich
Big project you have going on here.
I had an old wildness camper several years ago that the roof looked black like yours. Long story short here; my roof was an Alpha roof. First I had to was wash the roof, then add a good coat of alpha primer and followed up with the alpha white top coat. This was done with rollers just like painting. The primer is super sticky.

Product Care & Warranty - Alpha Systems, LLC

http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/files...Top%20Coat.doc

You may find this website helpful when you get to re-doing your roof.

R.I.P. Luke the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by KElive2camp View Post
We want to thank you for your post and so many pics. We are facing a similar repair this spring to a used unit we bought last year. The pics and detail have added to our encouragement to take on this repair full bore. Thank You again. We love the unit and want to fix it and enjoy it for several years.
You're very welcome! I have loads more pictures that I didn't post...mainly so I know where stuff is supposed to go....like all the light wiring, etc.

The lights pretty much share the same wiring. The wiring is between the inner wall, and outer sheet metal. Unless this stuff is second nature to you, take a ton of pictures!

Also, remember that it's going to take a while, so you really can't be in a hurry. Things will fight you along the way. I'm a persistent SOB, and won't let things beat me.

I'm doing this for the exact same reason that you mentioned...to enjoy the camper and have it be solid for years to come.

In all reality, I've just begun...

Best of luck to you, when you dive in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Big project you have going on here.
I had an old wildness camper several years ago that the roof looked black like yours. Long story short here; my roof was an Alpha roof. First I had to was wash the roof, then add a good coat of alpha primer and followed up with the alpha white top coat. This was done with rollers just like painting. The primer is super sticky.

Product Care & Warranty - Alpha Systems, LLC

http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/files...Top%20Coat.doc

You may find this website helpful when you get to re-doing your roof.
That's great information!! I also have an Alpha Roofing System, so I will save those links.

Thank you!

Rich

Old 01-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #77

I just showe the DW all the pics after following this thread with great interest and admiration. She wanted to know what the unit cost to buy and about how much in parts you have spent so far if it's ok with you to tell. Even though I have a 2016, I love working on stuff and have considered getting something like this to fix up. Do you have inside pics or are you still working on the outside? Thanks. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I just showe the DW all the pics after following this thread with great interest and admiration. She wanted to know what the unit cost to buy and about how much in parts you have spent so far if it's ok with you to tell. Even though I have a 2016, I love working on stuff and have considered getting something like this to fix up. Do you have insterrible about the shape that ide pics or are you still working on the outside? Thanks. Jay
Just remember...we went into this purchase "blind". DW wanted this RV a lot more than I did. The neighbor that we bought it from was widowed.

The neighbor came up with the price after we randomly asked her if she thought about selling it. She's on a fixed income, and can use the money.

In my mind, I wanted to pay no more than $1K for it, mainly because I didn't know what we were really buying, and didn't want another project.

But the neighbor said $1.5K. DW thought that was fine, so that's what we paid.

After my neighbor saw how bad it was, she offered to give me my money back. I've known her for over 30 years. I said "no, thank you". She still feels awful about this. she had no idea there was that much rot.

At first, I was going to sell what I could (fridge, etc.) cut up the camper body and throw it in a dumpster, then, sell the frame....basically, cut my losses.

But, being the lunatic that I am, I decided to at least look into it, and see what's involved. After examining, all the damage was in the rear, a little on the roof, but the rest of it is solid.

The inside was in real nice shape, except for the floor at the entrance door. Also, all the appliances work.

So, I decided to go for it.

The inside is good, although I'm going to redo some of it, to "make it ours".

I'll show interior pics at that point in time.

As far as what I've spent....I'd have to add it up. So far, the single most expensive item has been the new hot water heater. I also bought new plastic exterior stuff...fridge roof vent, all new utility fittings (city water, cable hookup cover, etc.) new fender flares.

Of course there's the lumber, some roof rubber and glue, and all the specialty tapes and sealants, as well as screws, staples, insulation, etc.

I figure that I can make this RV rock solid for about $5K. I still have to buy all new brakes, tires, all that stop and go stuff.

Maybe this is not a wise decision, but it's too late to turn back now. I am just soooo happy that all the rotted wood has been replaced!!

Like I replied in a previous post...to buy a fixer-upper RV to resell, and to do this thorough of a job, would be a money loser.

You have to do this for "you".

So, stay tuned!

Rich

Old 01-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #79

Thanks a lot. Something to remember, for every one of us that has posted in this thread I would bet 10-12 other people are being inspired that have not posted. About $5K or a little less for a complete custom 5th wheel that's done right with no worries seems fair to me. That's not counting the cost of the labor of course. The cost of labor will be recovered in pride of ownership. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:30 PM   #80

Quote:
Just remember...we went into this purchase "blind". DW wanted this RV a lot more than I did. The neighbor that we bought it from was widowed.

The neighbor came up with the price after we randomly asked her if she thought about selling it. She's on a fixed income, and can use the money.

In my mind, I wanted to pay no more than $1K for it, mainly because I didn't know what we were really buying, and didn't want another project.

But the neighbor said $1.5K. DW thought that was fine, so that's what we paid.

After my neighbor saw how bad it was, she offered to give me my money back. I've known her for over 30 years. I said "no, thank you". She still feels awful about this. she had no idea there was that much rot.

At first, I was going to sell what I could (fridge, etc.) cut up the camper body and throw it in a dumpster, then, sell the frame....basically, cut my losses.

But, being the lunatic that I am, I decided to at least look into it, and see what's involved. After examining, all the damage was in the rear, a little on the roof, but the rest of it is solid.

The inside was in real nice shape, except for the floor at the entrance door. Also, all the appliances work.

So, I decided to go for it.

The inside is good, although I'm going to redo some of it, to "make it ours".

I'll show interior pics at that point in time.

As far as what I've spent....I'd have to add it up. So far, the single most expensive item has been the new hot water heater. I also bought new plastic exterior stuff...fridge roof vent, all new utility fittings (city water, cable hookup cover, etc.) new fender flares.

Of course there's the lumber, some roof rubber and glue, and all the specialty tapes and sealants, as well as screws, staples, insulation, etc.

I figure that I can make this RV rock solid for about $5K. I still have to buy all new brakes, tires, all that stop and go stuff.

Maybe this is not a wise decision, but it's too late to turn back now. I am just soooo happy that all the rotted wood has been replaced!!

Like I replied in a previous post...to buy a fixer-upper RV to resell, and to do this thorough of a job, would be a money loser.

You have to do this for "you".

So, stay tuned!

Rich

And while we are making payments on ours you will be payment free. Great job.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, wildwood