RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #101
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
That looks like a great product. Only time will tell, though, seeing that it is fairly new.

What would happen if you ever had to replace something on the roof, i.e. an AC unit, a vent, etc.?

I wonder if it can be spot repaired by the owner, or if that voids the warranty. Maybe you have to get RV Armour involved in those situations....

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #102
Senior Member
 
WolfWhistle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
That looks like a great product. Only time will tell, though, seeing that it is fairly new.

What would happen if you ever had to replace something on the roof, i.e. an AC unit, a vent, etc.?

I wonder if it can be spot repaired by the owner, or if that voids the warranty. Maybe you have to get RV Armour involved in those situations....

Rich
Heck Rich, I never thought of that, but you're right... vents (skylights, etc.) will not outlast the roof system. They remove the AC unit and reinstall it after the roof is done, so that one item shouldn't be an issue. Its way too much money for me anyway, but it does look solid, so to speak.
WW
__________________
Hyper Lite was sold

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #103
Senior Member
 
rmac04401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Franklin County, PA
Posts: 2,856
Weather must have stopped your progress on your refurb? Just wondering how the process is going.
__________________
2019 Puma XLE 27QBC Toy Hauler
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #104
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Weather must have stopped your progress on your refurb? Just wondering how the process is going.
Oh...I've done a little more...just haven't posted it up yet. Very soon, though.

Thank you for asking.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
So, I decided to take advantage of a warm, sunny day, even though there was a lot of snow dumped the week before..



Removed the old antenna...





Removing the old sealant...



This tool takes the sealant right down to the rubber roof...





..more to come...
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #106
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Good time to replace the coax connection...





New antenna...







...more to come...
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #107
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Sealed it up...





So now, the inside handle assembly has to be finished up. I didn't take pictures of this (I was too lazy to climb back on the roof and get the camera, plus it was the end of the day, and I was pooped..I had also worked in my metal fabrication shop from 5 am till noon).

The antenna assembly is kind of a one-size-fits-all, as far as roof thicknesses go.

So, there are measurements to be taken, and cutting of the pieces to be done to get the handle assembly to fit and function properly.

Well....when I was inside the RV, looking up at the hex stem hanging down from the antenna (that the handle attaches to), the stem was at a steep angle, and not plumb, as it should have been.

It was then that I discovered that something was wrong. I went back and re-read the instructions (which is printed for different models of antennas, and slightly confusing). They mentioned a rooftop angle wedge mounting plate.

Well...now this made sense! A wedge would allow the antenna to sit level on the slope of the roof, instead of being tilted!

This wedge is NOT part of the kit. So, I ordered one from Amazon.

It came in last Friday, and I installed it on Saturday. This involved cutting through all the brand new sealant that I had put on 2 weeks before and removing the antenna. That SUCKZ!!....BAD!!

The sealant hadn't fully set up yet, and was still quite gooey.....kind of like rubbery Marshmallow Fluff. What a mess!!

But, I suffered through it, installed the wedge, and reinstalled the antenna.

Now, the hex stem hangs plumb. I then cut and fit the rest of the handle.

All done now, and it works well. Thankfully.

Till next time...

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #108
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Good job!
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Good job!
Thank you...I really DO think that I'm insane sometimes......

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 925
Just wondering, have you hooked up a tv and tried out the new antenna? If so how well did it work? I just bought the wingman add on for my antenna but haven't put it on yet. I got to thinking that if coax cable had to be replaced now would be a good time to do it. Please add me to the list of people admiring and encouraging your work. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #111
Senior Member
 
rmac04401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Franklin County, PA
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Oh...I've done a little more...just haven't posted it up yet. Very soon, though.

Thank you for asking.

Rich


Glad to hear your still hard at work at it. Things look great. Your 99 will probably be more solid than my 2016 I bought a year and a half ago new.
__________________
2019 Puma XLE 27QBC Toy Hauler
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #112
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Just wondering, have you hooked up a tv and tried out the new antenna? If so how well did it work? I just bought the wingman add on for my antenna but haven't put it on yet. I got to thinking that if coax cable had to be replaced now would be a good time to do it. Please add me to the list of people admiring and encouraging your work. Jay
This RV is in the middle of a major overhaul, so there's not even a TV in it. So, no....I haven't tried the antenna out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Glad to hear your still hard at work at it. Things look great. Your 99 will probably be more solid than my 2016 I bought a year and a half ago new.
Thank you both for the kudos. My main goal is to make it trouble-free (leak-wise) for many years to come.

There's a little more stuff to reseal on the roof. Then, when the weather warms up, I plan on re-coating the entire roof with a roll-on product.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #113
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
So, I decided to buy some new corrugated exterior sheet metal for the rear of the camper.

The best prices are online (for the sheet metal), but the shipping was insane!

$740.00 to ship (2) 4' x 8' sheets!!

So, I went to my local RV dealer and ordered what I needed through them. I was told that it would take 7-10 days to arrive. That was fine with me....no extreme rush on my part.

I got an email from Bill...my RV dealer parts guy...a good guy. He said that the metal came in, but that he refused the shipment, because the metal was dented. So, another 7-10 days to wait...again, no biggie.

I got an email about 10 days later that he refused the 2nd shipment. Same reason...dented material. I was beside myself.

I asked him..."we can put a man on the moon, but we cant ship sheet metal without destroying it??"

He said that it wasn't Forest River's fault ( where it was ordered from), it was the sh!tty trucking company's fault. They really do package it up well, but a (drunk?) fork lift driver stabbed the boxes with his forks.

So, 2 days ago, Bill called me and told me that the 3rd order had arrived,and it was fine.

I went there yesterday and picked up my new sheet metal and brought it home.

Nothing seems to go smoothly....

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #114
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
So, I decided to buy some new corrugated exterior sheet metal for the rear of the camper.

The best prices are online (for the sheet metal), but the shipping was insane!

$740.00 to ship (2) 4' x 8' sheets!!

So, I went to my local RV dealer and ordered what I needed through them. I was told that it would take 7-10 days to arrive. That was fine with me....no extreme rush on my part.

I got an email from Bill...my RV dealer parts guy...a good guy. He said that the metal came in, but that he refused the shipment, because the metal was dented. So, another 7-10 days to wait...again, no biggie.

I got an email about 10 days later that he refused the 2nd shipment. Same reason...dented material. I was beside myself.

I asked him..."we can put a man on the moon, but we cant ship sheet metal without destroying it??"

He said that it wasn't Forest River's fault ( where it was ordered from), it was the sh!tty trucking company's fault. They really do package it up well, but a (drunk?) fork lift driver stabbed the boxes with his forks.

So, 2 days ago, Bill called me and told me that the 3rd order had arrived,and it was fine.

I went there yesterday and picked up my new sheet metal and brought it home.

Nothing seems to go smoothly....

Rich
It's that guy - MURPHY!!
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #115
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 53
That is a crazy amount of work...wow!
ray98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #116
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,353
No updates for 5 weeks or so. Hope that doesn't mean trouble.
__________________
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that know binary, and those that don't.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #117
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
No updates for 5 weeks or so. Hope that doesn't mean trouble.
X2, I was looking forward to an update.
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #118
Senior Member
 
rmac04401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Franklin County, PA
Posts: 2,856
Yeah. Maybe he is a bear and in hibernation!
__________________
2019 Puma XLE 27QBC Toy Hauler
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #119
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
I have been busy working on jobs in my shop, plus the weather has been lousy for the last few weekends.

But....fear not! I'll be back up on the roof shortly to finish that up.

After that, the rear of the camper gets fiberglass insulation and new sheet metal.

I'll post the updates.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #120
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
I have been busy working on jobs in my shop, plus the weather has been lousy for the last few weekends.

But....fear not! I'll be back up on the roof shortly to finish that up.

After that, the rear of the camper gets fiberglass insulation and new sheet metal.

I'll post the updates.

Rich
Excellent, Glad to hear all is well.
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
repair, wildwood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.