RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #121
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
I appreciate the kind words....

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #122
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Got back up on the roof today. I'm in the process of re-sealing all the roof penetrations, as well as all the corners.

So, today, I'm going to remove the 18 year old original sealant off of 2 roof vents, and re-seal with Eternabond Tape.

Here's the first one...



The old sealant is removed. I'm also going to replace the hex head zip screws with pan head stainless screws. Seems like the Eternabond tape would like these better...





First one done...



Next one...pretty much identical to the first one...



Old sealant removed...



Screws replaced...



Solvent cleaned, new tape,and done...



To play it safe, I decided to run a bead of Dicor self-leveling sealant on the flange side of the tape...



Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #123
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
I figured that before I called it a day, I'd see what was involved with re-sealing the AC unit. So, I took the cover off...



Small bees nest...



More bees nests and debris...



Well, after looking this thing over, I have a couple of choices: right now, there are no leaks from this unit, and it appears that it is a challenge to get waaaaaaay under the base to get new tape or sealant under there...





So, I can leave it as is, or research to see what's involved with removing the entire unit, service the unit while it's out, then attempt to re-seal it.

We'll see....

Has anyone taken off their AC unit?? I'll probably Youtube it...

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #124
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Looks nice, good to see you back at it.
When is your first trip?
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #125
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
I would have replaced that skimpy little vent fan with a FanTastic vent fan while I was up there.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #126
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,353
x2 on the vent fan.

Who makes your unit? Mine is a Coleman Mach and after taking off the wires it's just 4 long screws/bolts on each corner. Vey easy actually.
__________________
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that know binary, and those that don't.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:55 AM   #127
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Looks nice, good to see you back at it.
When is your first trip?
First trip may not even be this year. At a minimum, the entire exterior has to be buttoned up. This includes axle work...all new brake backing plates and components, tires, etc. The interior will be re-done, also, but that can wait, if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I would have replaced that skimpy little vent fan with a FanTastic vent fan while I was up there.
I never gave it a second thought. If I had known, I surely would have done so. Maybe I will....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
x2 on the vent fan.

Who makes your unit? Mine is a Coleman Mach and after taking off the wires it's just 4 long screws/bolts on each corner. Vey easy actually.
I'd have to check into who makes my unit...you mean very easy to just change out the motor, or to replace the entire vent unit?

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #128
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: BV VA
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Added a layer of 2" Eternabond around the flange, instead of using self-leveling sealant....
Man this whole project is awesome. Where are you getting your Eterabond? Amazon? I'm curious how much you've used. It's not cheap!

Keep us updated!
__________________
2017 Cherokee Grey Wolf Limited 26BH
kantonburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #129
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
I'd have to check into who makes my unit...you mean very easy to just change out the motor, or to replace the entire vent unit?

Rich
Sorry, I was talking about the Air Conditioner. My trailer came with Fantastic Fans so I don't know what it takes to swap out. I do know it's a complete assembly so maybe too late to swap.
__________________
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that know binary, and those that don't.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:51 AM   #130
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
Man this whole project is awesome. Where are you getting your Eterabond? Amazon? I'm curious how much you've used. It's not cheap!

Keep us updated!
Yes....I bought it on Amazon. I bought 2 rolls of 2" wide and 2 rolls of 4" wide (50' long, ea.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Sorry, I was talking about the Air Conditioner. My trailer came with Fantastic Fans so I don't know what it takes to swap out. I do know it's a complete assembly so maybe too late to swap.
Oh...OK. I'm going to see if I have the gumption to remove the AC unit. I probably will, seeing that I've gone this far.

I could always replace my wimpy bathroom vent fan with one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Roof-Vent-Vor.../dp/B00APSSPEA

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #131
Senior Member
 
rmac04401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Franklin County, PA
Posts: 2,856
If your going to replace fan I would x2 the fantastic fan. They are quiet and move tons of air.
__________________
2019 Puma XLE 27QBC Toy Hauler
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #132
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 191
One thing that I have always thought of if I replaced my A/C unit is to install a raised "perimeter" around the the opening and mount the A/C on top of that. It would raise the unit off the flat roof and help eliminate leaks. Even 1/2" would make a difference. Just a thought.
__________________
cabranch47
2009 Flagstaff HW27SC (NTU 2014)
1999 Ford F150
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #133
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
If your going to replace fan I would x2 the fantastic fan. They are quiet and move tons of air.
Yeah...just sux that I'd have to re-do the new sealant job. But, not the end of the world, either. According to the reviews, the Vortex ll moves a lot of air, but it is loud, especially on High speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabranch47 View Post
One thing that I have always thought of if I replaced my A/C unit is to install a raised "perimeter" around the the opening and mount the A/C on top of that. It would raise the unit off the flat roof and help eliminate leaks. Even 1/2" would make a difference. Just a thought.
That's a good idea! As it stands now, I really can't get under it to reseal it.

I'd make the riser come all the way out to the perimeter of the unit (or beyond, if feasible), instead of being recessed as it is now.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #134
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Yeah...just sux that I'd have to re-do the new sealant job. But, not the end of the world, either. According to the reviews, the Vortex ll moves a lot of air, but it is loud, especially on High speed.



That's a good idea! As it stands now, I really can't get under it to reseal it.

I'd make the riser come all the way out to the perimeter of the unit (or beyond, if feasible), instead of being recessed as it is now.

Rich


They come with a foam gasket and indexing bolts. When installed properly will not leak, can be easily removed without the mess.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #135
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
They come with a foam gasket and indexing bolts. When installed properly will not leak, can be easily removed without the mess.
X2. Rising it may cause issues trying to button up the interior due to the excessive spacing.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #136
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
They come with a foam gasket and indexing bolts. When installed properly will not leak, can be easily removed without the mess.
AC unit, right?? I saw that gasket while peeking under the AC unit with a flashlight. But, it's a deep enough distance enough under there to NOT be able to inspect it all that well.

So, I have to decide whether or not to pull the AC unit, just to inspect, and possibly replace the foam gasket, or not.

Eventually, when I'm done sealing up all the rooftop penetrations, I'm going to roll on some liquid sealant over the entire roof.

This means that everything has got to be finalized before then.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
X2. Rising it may cause issues trying to button up the interior due to the excessive spacing.
Good point. I will not increase the height just for that reason.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #137
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
AC unit, right?? I saw that gasket while peeking under the AC unit with a flashlight. But, it's a deep enough distance enough under there to NOT be able to inspect it all that well.

So, I have to decide whether or not to pull the AC unit, just to inspect, and possibly replace the foam gasket, or not.

Eventually, when I'm done sealing up all the rooftop penetrations, I'm going to roll on some liquid sealant over the entire roof.

This means that everything has got to be finalized before then.




Good point. I will not increase the height just for that reason.

Rich


Just figure over the years hundreds of thousands have been installed, the few that complained of that roof leak was mostly due to improper tightening of the four corner bolts. Purchase gasket and bolts from mfg rep.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #138
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quick question...

Should I just remove this base for the FM antenna, completely? Are these what everyone is still using?

I'm guessing that this type of antenna is outdated.

Located to the right of the black / yellow kneeling pad....





Basically, it's one of these...





I want to know this, before I just go ahead and reseal it...

Thank you.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #139
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,568
Ha! They still use them new! Just make sure is not grounded whip to base.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #140
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 459
Our Jayco had one of those, worked great. Our LaCrosse is just a wire thrown in the back of the cabinet the unit is installed in. Gets some channels, way out in the woods not so much. That's a mod I will do if I miss the radio that much. With the Bluetooth in the unit the DW and kids play their own music.
__________________
Dale & Karen
2015 Lacrosse 311RLS
2006 F-250 The 06-6.0
Dwilcox is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
repair, wildwood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.