RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #141
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Better to have it and not want it, than want it and not have it.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #142
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Better to have it and not want it, than want it and not have it.
Have to convince DW of that. She is the type that if "I don't need it now so I won't need it later" and I always have to convince her it's not all about her, it's a mod for me.
__________________
Dale & Karen
2015 Lacrosse 311RLS
2006 F-250 The 06-6.0
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #143
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
Have to convince DW of that. She is the type that if "I don't need it now so I won't need it later" and I always have to convince her it's not all about her, it's a mod for me.
Just do it!

Easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #144
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Just do it!

Easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
Oh, I do, I do. Some times it works out as in, "DW: I wish I had let you do that. Me Well as it turns out....." other times, the cold shoulder. But she always gets over it.
__________________
Dale & Karen
2015 Lacrosse 311RLS
2006 F-250 The 06-6.0
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #145
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
So...the general consensus is to keep it?

You travel with these antennae in the "UP" position??

Seems like something that would get branch-whacked....

OK,then...I'll reseal it and attach the whip to the base.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #146
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
So...the general consensus is to keep it?

You travel with these antennae in the "UP" position??

Seems like something that would get branch-whacked....

OK,then...I'll reseal it and attach the whip to the base.

Rich
I have mine pulled over and tied to the refrigerator vent. It is now no higher than anything else on the roof. It still picks up well but I suspect it is now a little directional. It's the only way to go. Sticking straight up IS a big problem.
__________________
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that know binary, and those that don't.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:25 AM   #147
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I have mine pulled over and tied to the refrigerator vent. It is now no higher than anything else on the roof. It still picks up well but I suspect it is now a little directional. It's the only way to go. Sticking straight up IS a big problem.
Thanks for the advice...it makes sense...

I'll figure something out...

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #148
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I have mine pulled over and tied to the refrigerator vent. It is now no higher than anything else on the roof. It still picks up well but I suspect it is now a little directional. It's the only way to go. Sticking straight up IS a big problem.
I only put mine down to put the cover on for winter. Never had a problem with it up while camping. It really isn't much higher than the A/C.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #149
Senior Member
 
rmac04401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Franklin County, PA
Posts: 2,856
The one on my old fleetwood mallard was angled with the whip facing backward and angled so it was no higher than ac.
__________________
2019 Puma XLE 27QBC Toy Hauler
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #150
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Yeah...just sux that I'd have to re-do the new sealant job. But, not the end of the world, either. According to the reviews, the Vortex ll moves a lot of air, but it is loud, especially on High speed.



That's a good idea! As it stands now, I really can't get under it to reseal it.

I'd make the riser come all the way out to the perimeter of the unit (or beyond, if feasible), instead of being recessed as it is now.

Rich
The AC does not use sealant around it . it has a closed cell foam that is stuck to the bottom of the ac and compressed when installed this is the only seal used with AC's you can buy replacement seals for the AC . but building a ridge around it is not good as you will trap condensation . not a good thing
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #151
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,863
Rich (rollscanardly)

I have been following your trailer renovation from afar and I must say that I think you are amazing on the way you repaired the damage and how you looked at the damaged areas and came up with a better than new solution.
I have done some structural repair many years ago on my trailer in the rear that had water damage in the rear floor and back wall. I did repair it and have never seen anyone take on what you have done.

Between fire, water damage, dry rot, animal nesting and a lot more you did an amazing job and you can work for me any time.

My biggest tip was the way you decided to remove the old sealant from the roof with the soldering gun and cutting tip. It seems a super idea and well worth the new tip for removing old dried sealant.

Thank you very much for your descriptions, pictures and looking forward to the final pictures when you are enjoying your labor of love at a great campground.

Thank you, Thank you , Thank you.
John
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL 378TS
Facebook Georgetown Owners Club
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #152
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I only put mine down to put the cover on for winter. Never had a problem with it up while camping. It really isn't much higher than the A/C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
The one on my old fleetwood mallard was angled with the whip facing backward and angled so it was no higher than ac.
Good idea, keeping it no higher than the AC unit. I will do that, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
The AC does not use sealant around it . it has a closed cell foam that is stuck to the bottom of the ac and compressed when installed this is the only seal used with AC's you can buy replacement seals for the AC . but building a ridge around it is not good as you will trap condensation . not a good thing
Thanks for the info. So, knowing that, I'll have to decide whether or not I want to remove the AC unit, and replace the foam gasket. Right now, it does not leak at all. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"....

But...it's 18 years old, and I don't know if these foam gaskets have a life expectancy, or not.

Eventually, I want to do a roll-on reseal. So, maybe when that time comes, I'll remove the AC unit before I reseal. Then, reseal the entire roof, and replace the foam gasket, at that time. Just a thought...


Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #153
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Rich (rollscanardly)

I have been following your trailer renovation from afar and I must say that I think you are amazing on the way you repaired the damage and how you looked at the damaged areas and came up with a better than new solution.
I have done some structural repair many years ago on my trailer in the rear that had water damage in the rear floor and back wall. I did repair it and have never seen anyone take on what you have done.

Between fire, water damage, dry rot, animal nesting and a lot more you did an amazing job and you can work for me any time.

My biggest tip was the way you decided to remove the old sealant from the roof with the soldering gun and cutting tip. It seems a super idea and well worth the new tip for removing old dried sealant.

Thank you very much for your descriptions, pictures and looking forward to the final pictures when you are enjoying your labor of love at a great campground.

Thank you, Thank you , Thank you.
John
Well, John....I'm flattered! Thank you for the kind words.

Stay tuned...I will soon be posting up what I did over Easter weekend!

Thanks, again.

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #154
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
This past weekend I decided to start replacing the rear sheet metal panels.

Here are the 3 original panels that make up the rear of the camper...





I ordered brand new panels from Forest River...















..and, the second box...



...more to come...
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #155
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
I laid the original panel on the new panel, as a template. and traced it out...















We positioned it, and stapled it into place...

I forgot to take a picture of it, but I also put new fiberglass insulation in first.





That was it for Saturday.

...more to come...
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #156
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
After our Easter Brunch guests left, I took advantage of the mid-80 degree day to get up on the roof.

I taped the top / rear corner joint with 4" Eternabond tape...





The original metal top corner trim strip was reinstalled, and a new vinyl center strip was inserted...



Then, the top seam of the metal strip was sealed with Dicor sealant.



Lastly, I decided to reseal the FM antenna mount...











That's it 'til next weekend!

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #157
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,483
Whew!!!! I'm tired and all I did was looked at what you did, great job
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #158
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Whew!!!! I'm tired and all I did was looked at what you did, great job
"Whew" is right!! This is a lot more of a physically demanding job than it may appear! Up and down a ladder "hundreds" of times....

Rich
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #159
Senior Member
 
rollscanardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saunderstown, RI
Posts: 732
Did some more over the last couple of weekends...

Getting ready to install the next piece of sheet metal...





Now, the last piece...





One of the things that I hated the most during this whole project was keeping the exposed camper covered in plastic. Un-doing it to work on for the day, then re-sealing it up every day, was a PITA!!

But now...after months of dealing with this plastic and tape nightmare, it's finally over!!

But...this tape glue is ferocious! It stick like a bugger! And now, I have to remove it to seal up the corners.







Through experimentation, I've discovered that a heat gun along with a rag sprayed with Goo Gone works really well...



Glue is gone!





...more to come...
__________________
"rolls down one hill, can 'ardly make it up the next..."

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #160
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Looking good.
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
repair, wildwood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.