Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #1

Install Sliding Glass or French Doors in RLTS Toyhauler?

Hello, I'm the proud new owner of an 07 FR All Am Sport 385 RLTS Toy Hauler that I bought from a fine couple here in TN. I'm very excited!

I'd love to know if anyone has thought about installing sliding glass or french doors in their toyhauler between the toy room and living quarters below the loft. I think Forest River puts sliding glass in some other models, but I don't know how to get in touch with them to see if a could order one, and what they thought about the wisdom of doing so.

I think it would be great. French doors might be the easiest, but probably need to cut them down some. I guess there's an issue about the trailer flexing. I don't know if the existing wall is structural in some way: vertically, horizontally, diagonally, or otherwise. The trailer is in storage on the other side of town and I haven't checked that wall out yet. Sliding glass door would probably provide more structural support to the wall and the loft bed than french doors, but french doors might be the most ideal to really open up the space. I have a sawzal but I'm no great craftsman or anything. Best thing would be to get Forest River or a professional to do it, but I may tackle it myself if it's not too hard and won't hurt the trailer.

Anybody have any thoughts about this? Or suggestions for people to talk to for advice or to get to do this for me? I appreciate it.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just n my wpt275ulsbs,measuring garage,saw sticker on sliding glass door,manufacture HR windows 959 Profit Dr Dallas,TX 75247 even has a phone #214.630.0847 it measures 72"tall 60" wide. Hope this helps..think Ill keep it for when it gets broken
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #3

Not knowing anthing about your model It would need to be framed out correctly to set the door in to support the sidewalls.
We have a Puma Unleashed 356 QLB that has the sliding glass doors to the toyroom & it has a bunk above it to provide support for the sidewalls. You might look for one to see the set up.
Wish I could help more.........
Good Luck!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #4

Thank you Rolling buckeye thats great I'm gonna call them, fantastic! Thanks too oaklevel I'll take a look. I saw the sliding glass door in a Fuzion and I really like that feature, but prefer the layout/slideouts of the Forest River.

I'm thinking sliding glass door is gonna be better than french doors, even if they're are no structural issues w/ french doors. You don't want the french doors to open into the living quarters, but if they open into the toy room how do you get in and out when the toy room is loaded w/ your toys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
Just n my wpt275ulsbs,measuring garage,saw sticker on sliding glass door,manufacture HR windows 959 Profit Dr Dallas,TX 75247 even has a phone #214.630.0847 it measures 72"tall 60" wide. Hope this helps..think Ill keep it for when it gets broken
Did you take it out? How hard is that?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #5

rolling buckeye sorry, I now see that you mean you'll keep the sticker w/ the phone number for when your sliding glass door gets broken.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes, and I'm sorry,tried to respond w/ personal mssg, but not yet,have that figured out.It looks like a smaller version of a household door,doors about the same, with thinner aluminum frame. Going to mirror tint the panels,available at a local orange box store,at reasonable $
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew
Hello, I'm the proud new owner of an 07 FR All Am Sport 385 RLTS Toy Hauler that I bought from a fine couple here in TN. I'm very excited!

I'd love to know if anyone has thought about installing sliding glass or french doors in their toyhauler between the toy room and living quarters below the loft. I think Forest River puts sliding glass in some other models, but I don't know how to get in touch with them to see if a could order one, and what they thought about the wisdom of doing so.

I think it would be great. French doors might be the easiest, but probably need to cut them down some. I guess there's an issue about the trailer flexing. I don't know if the existing wall is structural in some way: vertically, horizontally, diagonally, or otherwise. The trailer is in storage on the other side of town and I haven't checked that wall out yet. Sliding glass door would probably provide more structural support to the wall and the loft bed than french doors, but french doors might be the most ideal to really open up the space. I have a sawzal but I'm no great craftsman or anything. Best thing would be to get Forest River or a professional to do it, but I may tackle it myself if it's not too hard and won't hurt the trailer.

Anybody have any thoughts about this? Or suggestions for people to talk to for advice or to get to do this for me? I appreciate it.
I've seen French doors in both 38' motorhome "pocket style" and in a large 5er which swung open center kitchen to luxury living center. Both looked great!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #8

Thank you VinceU. I went across town today and checked out the dividing wall in question. It's not just some flimsy wall. It's very strong and feels structural. I think I'm gonna leave it alone and possibly just put a window in the existing door, or get/make a new door with windows. Oh well. Thanks everyone.