Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #1

Installed the Haloview MC7108 on Our Roo

The family bought me a Haloview MC7108 backup/observation camera as an early birthday gift. Not sure of it's more for me or them...

I installed it yesterday. After watching some videos of other installs and looking at the adapter kit for the Furion pre-wire, I decided to go without the kit and kind of figure it out as I went.

I pulled the entire pre-installed Furion housing off, including the rubber gasket. The plug was just patched into a 12v line, so it was simple to swap out with the Haloview plug (after trimming it way down because all that cable wasn't going to fit inside). Then I fed the cabling through the "old" rubber gasket from the Furion housing and resealed it over the hole with clear silicone. Then I mounted the camera bracket over the gasket with some 10 - 3/4 screws (not included). Sealed everything up with the silicone and that was it.

Everything seems to work great. Taking the Roo out to the lake this weekend, so we'll see. Unfortunately I didn't take pics along the way, but I'll post the finished product later.
2013 Ford F150 SCrew, 5.0L, tow upgrade
Old: 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23D
Jim_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #2

The pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_152915.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	233619   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_152901.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	233620  
Old 07-10-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Congrats!

Just a couple of quick suggestions based on our experience over the last year:

(1) One of the best parts of doing the install is the ability to see the road (and traffic) behind when driving (observation camera mode), not just the local area when backing up. Your camera appears to be pointed down a bit too much for observation mode; this will be great for backing up but pretty useless for use as an observation camera while driving. We were able to fine tune our camera's angle (and guide lines) so it functions as both an observation camera and backup camera.

(2) Check the signal strength of the camera's feed on your monitor and fine tune the camera's antenna angle. You may want to angle the antenna a bit straighter up (~30º from vertical) for best reception.

Here's the camera and antenna angle that worked best for our Roo. YMMV.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #4

Agreed on the adjustment of rear camera. Still working on the best angle and I also purchased the side cameras that replace your marker lights. Very nice to have both sides and the rear as you are driving down the road.

I am not using the extension for my 42’ 370fl but sometimes it blanks out in congested signal areas but usually not long enough to affect overall use.
udbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Congrats!

Just a couple of quick suggestions based on our experience over the last year:

(1) One of the best parts of doing the install is the ability to see the road (and traffic) behind when driving (observation camera mode), not just the local area when backing up. Your camera appears to be pointed down a bit too much for observation mode; this will be great for backing up but pretty useless for use as an observation camera while driving. We were able to fine tune our camera's angle (and guide lines) so it functions as both an observation camera and backup camera.

(2) Check the signal strength of the camera's feed on your monitor and fine tune the camera's antenna angle. You may want to angle the antenna a bit straighter up (~30º from vertical) for best reception.

Here's the camera and antenna angle that worked best for our Roo. YMMV.

You're 100% correct. It was way to far down. I installed it in the driveway, against the garage, so I was guesstimating. It was too far down even for backing really. I wanted to see a wider view. I took the Allen wrench with my tools, so I could adjust it, but failed to consider the lack of ladder. So, I'll adjust it before I park it, and we'll see in a couple weeks when we take it out again.

I thought using it while driving my be distracting, but I may try it out.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #6
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_74 View Post
{snip}...I thought using it while driving my be distracting, but I may try it out.
I think you'll find that it is really not that distracting...depending on where you mount the monitor. I wouldn't mount it right in front of you but I found the center of the dash-top works for me. That way, my co-pilot can see it too and help with lane changing and other needs.

I have a bunch of RAM mounts that allow my iPad to attach to various aircraft. I'm intrigued by a forum member who attached the monitor to the rearview mirror mount. The only thing I see in that mirror when I'm towing is the word "OOR" so perhaps I'll move the monitor up there with some of my RAMage bits.

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Old 07-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #7

I adjusted the camera up quite a bit before parking the trailer. Worked out a lot better when backing it in to park. Could hear better too. We'll see how it goes at the next camp site. Our F150 has a "tray" built into the center of the dash that the monitor stand fits into pretty well and works great for backing. I've seen some pics with the mount hanging over the rear-view too, that could work as the trailer renders it useless.
2013 Ford F150 SCrew, 5.0L, tow upgrade
Old: 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23D
Old 07-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:

I have a bunch of RAM mounts that allow my iPad to attach to various aircraft. I'm intrigued by a forum member who attached the monitor to the rearview mirror mount. The only thing I see in that mirror when I'm towing is the word "OOR" so perhaps I'll move the monitor up there with some of my RAMage bits.
Which RAM mount is that?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Which RAM mount is that?
For the truck I use:

Track ball with T-mount attached to the back for the monitor:

Which connects to a double-socket and swivel arm:

That mounts to a diamond ball base:

Attached to a BuiltRight F-150 dash mount:

For Aircraft:

I use an iPad Pro 9.7" snap in holder with an attached round plate with ball:

Connected to the double socket and swivel arm (above) which, in turn, attaches to a small clamp base with ball attached to the yoke:

Sometimes I attach the iPad to the the aircraft windscreen using a dual suction cup base with ball:

I think if I use the small clamp base with ball to attach (upside down) to the rear view mirror mount, and then connect the double-socket and swivel arm with the monitor, I can position it in front of the rear view mirror. Of course, I'll need to rotate the monitor and the image 180º so the antenna hangs straight down for clearance.

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 07-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #10

Thank you. What aircraft do you fly?
Quote:
For the truck I use:

Track ball with T-mount attached to the back for the monitor:

Which connects to a double-socket and swivel arm:
[IMG]

That mounts to a diamond ball base:

Attached to a BuiltRight F-150 dash mount:

For Aircraft:

I use an iPad Pro 9.7" snap in holder with an attached round plate with ball:

Connected to the double socket and swivel arm (above) which, in turn, attaches to a small clamp base with ball attached to the yoke:

Sometimes I attach the iPad to the the aircraft windscreen using a dual suction cup base with ball:

I think if I use the small clamp base with ball to attach (upside down) to the rear view mirror mount, and then connect the double-socket and swivel arm with the monitor, I can position it in front of the rear view mirror. Of course, I'll need to rotate the monitor and the image 180º so the antenna hangs straight down for clearance.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:41 PM   #11
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Thank you. What aircraft do you fly?
Mostly a Piper Warrior II, sometimes a Cessna 172 and, infrequently, a Gobosh 700 LSA.

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_74 View Post
I adjusted the camera up quite a bit before parking the trailer. Worked out a lot better when backing it in to park. Could hear better too. We'll see how it goes at the next camp site. Our F150 has a "tray" built into the center of the dash that the monitor stand fits into pretty well and works great for backing. I've seen some pics with the mount hanging over the rear-view too, that could work as the trailer renders it useless.

For my install, I use a pair of woman's hair bungees and hang the monitor on my rear view mirror. It's where I look from long habit to see what's behind me.
FWIW, mounting this way, it seemed as if the antenna kept the monitor from sitting straight. So, I flipped it upside down (antenna on the bottom). You can use the settings to reset the display so things look right side up. Only downside, the "distance" markers look weird, not they are all that useful.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Mostly a Piper Warrior II, sometimes a Cessna 172 and, infrequently, a Gobosh 700 LSA.
Used to fly a Piper PA28 and 172. Stopped flyng but have considered building a Van's RV14.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #14
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
For my install, I use a pair of woman's hair bungees and hang the monitor on my rear view mirror. It's where I look from long habit to see what's behind me.
FWIW, mounting this way, it seemed as if the antenna kept the monitor from sitting straight. So, I flipped it upside down (antenna on the bottom). You can use the settings to reset the display so things look right side up. Only downside, the "distance" markers look weird, not they are all that useful.
I do the same thing except I don’t have to flip the monitor upside down.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, led