Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #1

Insulation - Cold Weather Camping???

We like to camp in the winter (cold sub 32 degree weather) in our Wildwood T25KS.. Although the trailer stays warm enough the furnace is working more than it needs to be in my opinion. I have found that the nightstand clothing storage cabinets/drawers and under bed storage area in the bedroom (front) of the trailer that are border the cold pass thru storage area are letting this cold air into the trailer. I believe the two thin access doors in the pass thru compartment are permitting the cold air in. I would like to insulate the two walls of the storage compartment (top and rear) which border the inside the trailer BUT what should I use and how can I get it thru the small 18" doors of the storage area. Attached pictures show area that I want to insulate and the small doors (limited access) I am dealing with... Ideas or suggestions???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0637.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	9612   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0636.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	9613  
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #2

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
If the interior of your camper is warm and toasty in cold conditions - you should be very happy. The front (pass thru storage) area does not have warm air circulating so it will get cold. The only thing I can think of is some foam pads - like the ones you sleep on backpacking. They could add some R-values. Place them so they fold behind the outside storage door.

blocking off cold dead air space should help.. (?)

Good luck

Darren
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I believe I would insulate between the studs just like in a house. Then nail up wall paneling to keep the area neat looking.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #4

can't get access to insulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I believe I would insulate between the studs just like in a house. Then nail up wall paneling to keep the area neat looking.
the access hatch is to small to allow anybody to reach the area that the insulation should be applied to.. only could go as far as the arms will reach which isn't very far..
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #5

I found a lot of condensation on the inside of the frame of these hatches when we were camping in late September last year. Don't know what to do about it. Was thinking of putting in a muffin fan to blow warm air thru there but never did it.
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #6

I used 2 inch polystyrene sheeting ( covered with plastic ) with the foil backed bubble insulation on the interior We are living in ours at this time in Wyoming. I also placed our water pump ( Grundfoss) in the pass though. I placed an auxiliary ceramic heater to supplement the heated pass through. The heater is on a Thermo- Cube that turns on at 39 and off at 45 or so..

Thus the low has been -17f with out any issues. If you would like pics let me know
bhill is offline   Reply With Quote