Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2021, 07:36 AM   #1

Is it a bad idea to install custom shelves or cabinets?

Hello all, I just recently bought an FSX 280 RT. I love it so far. Only thing I don’t like is a lack of storage. It came with a few bins to store under the table in the garage area. I was wondering how bad of an idea it was to install some shelving to hold the totes and possibly the table when it isn’t in use? I did a search but couldn’t find much. Any input is appreciated!
Jimbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #2

If doing the mods suits your needs how could that be bad?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #3

I guess I was wondering more along the lines of damaging the RV and voiding any warranty. I haven’t seen much of anyone doing it, I can’t be the only person who needs more storage right?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:57 AM   #4
Always Learning

Damage is possible- there are reports of people drilling and/or screwing through walls and improperly mounting things.

You won't void the overall warranty, but if a problem comes up as a result of your modifications, then yes- that wouldn't be warranted.

That said, we have extensively modified our rigs to suit us. I've hung cabinets in the garage, mounted dressers, shelves, and desks to the walls, and have a hung a variety of other stuff. Do what you need to in order to make the RV work for you.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Damage is possible- there are reports of people drilling and/or screwing through walls and improperly mounting things.

You won't void the overall warranty, but if a problem comes up as a result of your modifications, then yes- that wouldn't be warranted.

That said, we have extensively modified our rigs to suit us. I've hung cabinets in the garage, mounted dressers, shelves, and desks to the walls, and have a hung a variety of other stuff. Do what you need to in order to make the RV work for you.
Only thought I have is how the resale/trade-in value might be impacted IF one is considering that route in a few years.

Mod's done well should fit in with the factory "theme" and as long as nothing looks weird, shouldn't be an issue.

I've been in some RV's where the added cabinets and shelves make the inside look a lot like "old hippies" live in it with unfinished OSB used and left unfinished.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:55 PM   #6

Sounds like this camper is new to you. We too thought we needed more storage. It wasn’t until after several months of getting rid of unneeded stuff and organized what storage we had better that we realized we were fine with what we have. One thing we do is put stuff in plastic bins we don’t use all the time and leave them on the camper floor when it’s closed up. Once we get set up we move those bins outside under the camper so they are easy to get at and are protected if it rains.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:03 PM   #7

Thank you for the input! I have been storing the bins outside under the camper when we get where we are going but it would be nice to have them inside. We have a semi unused space up against the bathroom wall I think could work. I guess I have to forgive out if I can make it look factory or not.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbilly View Post
Thank you for the input! I have been storing the bins outside under the camper when we get where we are going but it would be nice to have them inside. We have a semi unused space up against the bathroom wall I think could work. I guess I have to forgive out if I can make it look factory or not.
Here are a few of the shelves we have added. None look factory, All are user friendly and make our camper more homey.

Everyone who looks at them wants to do something similar. The resale value on a used camper is about 50% after 3 years, so any adds won't affect that enough to mention, unless you make it look like a REALLY CRAPPY JOB!

ADD away!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan & Light switches.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	257085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0715.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	257086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Shelf 4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	257087   Click image for larger version

Name:	A ahelf1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	257088   Click image for larger version

Name:	a shelf2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	257089  

Old 06-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #9

Added shelving

I was told by a Forest River representative that they purposely don't add those "needed" shelves because it would be too easy to exceed weight limits of the RV! Sooo I added shelves throughout our trailer. In the wardrobes, I added top shelves to accommodate hats, gloves, etc. In the bath, for towels, washcloths and cleaning supplies and, of course in the kitchen, for those dishes and food products. Go ahead and do it.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
I was told by a Forest River representative that they purposely don't add those "needed" shelves because it would be too easy to exceed weight limits of the RV! Sooo I added shelves throughout our trailer. In the wardrobes, I added top shelves to accommodate hats, gloves, etc. In the bath, for towels, washcloths and cleaning supplies and, of course in the kitchen, for those dishes and food products. Go ahead and do it.
I think this makes for a nice story for the representative to tell us. I suspect the true reason has to do with cost savings, not weight savings.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
Which, of course, begs the question f whether you did a CAT Scale weigh before and after.

My first thought on the OP's post was that he might need to watch the amount of weight he adds, and where, because the combined weight of the new cabinets and their contents could quite literally upset the apple cart.

Ray
Old 06-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
I think this makes for a nice story for the representative to tell us. I suspect the true reason has to do with cost savings, not weight savings.

You wrote that better than I could have.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Which, of course, begs the question f whether you did a CAT Scale weigh before and after.

My first thought on the OP's post was that he might need to watch the amount of weight he adds, and where, because the combined weight of the new cabinets and their contents could quite literally upset the apple cart.

Ray
I don’t think it would put me over. I did CAT scales frequently when I had my 1/2 ton truck. I have plenty of room there. It’s a toy hauler but my “toy” is a Husqvarna TE250i which is like 250lbs. I do wonder if I would put too much weight on one side or the other but I have no way of figuring out weight on one side vs the other. What’s heavier, a slide out or the kitchen I wonder?
Old 06-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #14

Installing, or moving, cabinets

Quote:
I guess I was wondering more along the lines of damaging the RV and voiding any warranty. I haven’t seen much of anyone doing it, I can’t be the only person who needs more storage right?
I have a 2019 TT and I'm relocating my cabinet above the sink in the bathroom since I'm tired of banging my head on the underside after brushing my teeth or shaving! I'm also going to rebuild the base of my sink and install another cabinet. Won't void the warranty unless I tap into some electrical or modify any of the existing equipment already installed, such as the stove, refrigerator, etc. Cabinetry should be made with as light of materials as you can make, BUT, add cleats and/or triangular pieces to strengthen all corners! Where I'm not able to screw into the stud on a wall, I use small toggle bolts.
AirDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
I don’t think it would put me over. I did CAT scales frequently when I had my 1/2 ton truck. I have plenty of room there. It’s a toy hauler but my “toy” is a Husqvarna TE250i which is like 250lbs. I do wonder if I would put too much weight on one side or the other but I have no way of figuring out weight on one side vs the other. What’s heavier, a slide out or the kitchen I wonder?
No way to tell I'd wager and it all depends, of course. Put the slide out and there's a bit of a lever effect removing weight from the opposite side. Since you probably have lots of margin with a toy hauler and a mini-toy it's likely not an issue. For others it could be.

Ray
Old 06-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #16

We boondock, and run on solar, so we got rid of the microwave, and put in shelves and a cupboard door. We got by fine without a microwave in the 60's, and 70's, so it isn't really necessary. We added shelves in the closet, since the hangers fell off while traveling anyway, and added shelves in two other cabinets. We took out a bunch of the little panels that block acces to areas with a few wires or pipes going through them. There was a lot of wasted space in our trailer, but no more. I love the extra storage space for food. We go with 6 people, and stay for a week or more, so food storage was an issue.

Tags
cabinets