Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #1

Kitchen Drawer Slide Replacement

Had the ball bearings come out of a drawer slide. Never found all the ball bearings so I guess it time to replace a drawers slides.

My drawers have always stayed closed when traveling. What am I asking for as far as staying closed? Not sure of the terminology. They are not push to open.

Thought I would just go to HD and try to match length. After doing a search for RV drawer slides there is a bunch of garbage slides and garbage installs out there. Found my setup is well done,comparatively.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #2

The HD slides were thicker, Was thinking that they may cause a clearance issue since they bottom side mount.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:20 PM   #3

One thing you may want to look into is that you can buy those balls for the drawer slide and replace the one's that are missing, they are affordable. Places like Fastenal, Grainger, and McMaster-Carr sell them in packs of ten (10). I've had to buy them for various other projects. I use a Fastenal store in my town.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the tip
Will give it a try
The race was bent
Did some straightening on that
Not sure how the end opens to get the bearings and race inside at same time
Was on the floor chasing BBS So long had to just stop
Old 05-05-2020, 09:21 AM   #5

I would look at Rockler. Com for replacement drawer slides. Here is the link to the drawer slide page.https://www.rockler.com/hardware/cab.../drawer-slides

There are several different styles and price range to choose from. You can even call the help line for guidance in choose a drawer slide that will work for you.

I usually purchase Blum slides for my cabinet drawer needs when I am designing and building cabinets for my needs.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:50 PM   #6

Lowes or Home Depot
Old 05-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #7

Just got back from Fastenal after getting a very hard to find battery for my old drill. Found it on line at their company. They were very helpful and I had it in a couple of days. For me it was a great company. Just FYI.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #8

Drawer Slides

We recently had to replace some of ours. The common size at most hardware stores are 45mm, believe me they did not work, the clearance was too close. We looked around until we could find a smaller size, I forget what the mm was for these 3?mm. I did see some on one of RV sites recently but sorry can't remember which one. Even though the 45mm are the correct length and height the width did not allow us to use this size. Hopefully yours will be the standard size. We have 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring addition. Be sure you take one out and take with you to go to the hardware store.
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #9

Slide

I had to replace mine on a drawer. I found what I needed in pair from Lowe's. If not Rockler would be a good place to look.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #10

Surprisingly...

Surprisingly, I've had good luck finding odd-size drawer slides on both Amazon and eBay. Mine came with a friction-latching feature. sort of a plastic arrowhead that snaps into a socket when the drawer is all the way in.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattyattack View Post
We recently had to replace some of ours. The common size at most hardware stores are 45mm, believe me they did not work, the clearance was too close. We looked around until we could find a smaller size, I forget what the mm was for these 3?mm. I did see some on one of RV sites recently but sorry can't remember which one. Even though the 45mm are the correct length and height the width did not allow us to use this size. Hopefully yours will be the standard size. We have 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring addition. Be sure you take one out and take with you to go to the hardware store.

No mine are not standard as per real cabinet hardware.. The specs given on the sites do not specify thickness. Height should make no issue. Contacted a cabinet maker. Said i was right that the drawer may not slide in if adding width.

Will let everybody know what I find in my quest for a thinner guide. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:27 AM   #12

Drawer Slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
No mine are not standard as per real cabinet hardware.. The specs given on the sites do not specify thickness. Height should make no issue. Contacted a cabinet maker. Said i was right that the drawer may not slide in if adding width.

Will let everybody know what I find in my quest for a thinner guide. Thanks for the replies.
Everything we could buy locally was 45mm slides, we had to locate 38mm because of the thickness, so I recommend looking for 38mm and be sure you purchase someplace that you can return. Good luck, it was a nightmare for us. Google the 38mm to try to find the thickness.
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #13

Drawer slides are typically 1/2 in thick so the drawer is built to 1 inch under the drawer opening width. Home Depot, Lowes, good choice. Rockler tends to be a bit more pricey. Check out www.dlawlesshardware.com.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #14

Has anyone found drawer slides that also lock the drawer shut? My Crusader came with cabinet type spring catches that simply do not work. My drawers always are open when we arrive. I've tried a number of things without success.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #15

10 mm thick

These are 3/8" inch (10 mm) thick.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #16

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Has anyone found drawer slides that also lock the drawer shut? My Crusader came with cabinet type spring catches that simply do not work. My drawers always are open when we arrive. I've tried a number of things without success.
Yes, I bought these https://www.ebay.com/itm/GlideRite-1...53.m2749.l2649 to add slide out shelves to the lower cabinets in the stix & brix place. If you look closely at the back end (right side in the photo), you will see a black plastic socket at right angles to the slide on the stationary part. Look even more carefully at the back end of the moving part and you will see a black plastic barb or arrowhead which snaps into the socket.

It's not a positive lock--more like a detent. I can't envision a drawer coming open with these but I am sure someone could put a bunch of rolling beer cans in a drawer and hit a switchback at high speed so the cans all came rolling from back to front and opened the drawer.

If you really want a positive lock, you might have to do something ugly like put a barrel bolt on the front of every drawer.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #17

You could consider full extension soft close glides. They have a spring catch in the back holding the drawer closed and allows the drawer to close softly.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:27 PM   #18

Larry-NC
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Good call on the slides. Looks close enough to be the right ones. Not too sure how the Chinese measure stuff. Tried to order to try but then vendor is on vacation.

The GlideRite Hardware site says
Due to COVID-19, in order to keep our employees safe at home, we will be shutting our site down temporarily. In the meantime, you can purchase GlideRite Hardware at Wayfair.com. Thank you.

So looks like not getting them now.

BTW
Whenever I get to the cash register after waiting in a long line. They run out of cash register tape. In a cafeteria the guy ahead of me gets the last one. At the DMV I am in the wrong line.

Doesn't surprise me a bit.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #19

Looks like Wayfair is doing business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
Larry-NC
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Good call on the slides. Looks close enough to be the right ones. Not too sure how the Chinese measure stuff. Tried to order to try but then vendor is on vacation.

The GlideRite Hardware site says
Due to COVID-19, in order to keep our employees safe at home, we will be shutting our site down temporarily. In the meantime, you can purchase GlideRite Hardware at Wayfair.com. Thank you.

So looks like not getting them now.

BTW
Whenever I get to the cash register after waiting in a long line. They run out of cash register tape. In a cafeteria the guy ahead of me gets the last one. At the DMV I am in the wrong line.

Doesn't surprise me a bit.

Thanks
It looks like Wayfair.com is open for business. Free shipping for orders over $35.
https://www.wayfair.com/brand/bnd/gl...erite+hardware
Old 05-30-2020, 09:53 PM   #20

Finally

Got over to my trailer and the Glideright fit. Not an exact match but the drawer works .
Replaced the bad side only

Thanks for the help finding a usable slide.
Stank Bait is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, slide