Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #1

Lagun Table Issue

So we thought we had the cat's pajamas in this Lagun Adjustable table. We used the existing kitchenette tabletop on it but it's definitely too heavy and leans to one side due to mounting it not in the center of the table. Mounting it in the center will not work for our new kitchenette layout. Any ideas for a clean looking table that's lighter than MDF used for a normal RV table top?

For review here is the link to a Lagun table and i attached a pic
https://www.lagunusa.com/product/lagun-table-system

System works likes it's supposed to be (spinning wise) The long or heavier side pulls at the plastic pillar/pin that the table arm connects to the table leg on causing it to be unlevel by quite a bit.

Thought maybe Aluminum sheet but worried about the sharp edge...?
Thank you-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lagun-table-system-breakdown-3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	248662  
Aulli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #2

Being a Wright, I enjoy working with wood. You can make it much lighter with framed thin plywood. 1x2 frame, and 1/4" good grade plywood should work a normal dinette.

If you want even lighter and significantly stronger, rip and cut and glue a 2" deep waffle grid frame instead of 1x2. Don't notch the grid pieces, use full length grid pieces in the direction of maximum bend. About 12" between frame grid pieces is about right. I use 3/4" triangle trim as a glue surface on one side of each grid piece.

Surface with Formica or similar if you don't want a wood top.

Just some ideas, feel free not to use them.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Being a Wright, I enjoy working with wood. You can make it much lighter with framed thin plywood. 1x2 frame, and 1/4" good grade plywood should work a normal dinette.

If you want even lighter and significantly stronger, rip and cut and glue a 2" deep waffle grid frame instead of 1x2. Don't notch the grid pieces, use full length grid pieces in the direction of maximum bend. About 12" between frame grid pieces is about right. I use 3/4" triangle trim as a glue surface on one side of each grid piece.

Surface with Formica or similar if you don't want a wood top.

Just some ideas, feel free not to use them.

Fred W
For the frame any wood preference? I have a huge home improvement store by me with good wood selection. Maple? Clear pine, oak etc
Titebond 3 for a glue? Short finish nails on the edges?
Thanks!
Aulli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulli17 View Post
For the frame any wood preference? I have a huge home improvement store by me with good wood selection. Maple? Clear pine, oak etc
Titebond 3 for a glue? Short finish nails on the edges?
Thanks!
That would be totally up to you. If you went fancy with the top being inset into the frame (notch the outer frame with a router), you would probably want a nice finish on the wood frame rails. OTOH, if you are covering with Formica (or similar), don't bother with expensive wood (clear pine is plenty good). Really depends on how you are finishing the table.

1/4" ply needs to be supported every 12" - 14" to remain flat, which would drive your frame design. 1/2" ply is good to 16" -18", and 3/4" ply can go 2ft. (These frame spaces are based on NOT standing on the table, but can take leaning). But you are starting to approach MDF/particle board weights with 3/4" ply. Butcher board top could be an attractive, although heavy option.

I do like Titebond glue, although not in a marine environment. I prefer epoxy on boats. Clamps are better than screws or nails for getting a good glue bond, but I do use screws (brass or SS) with glue in many permanent situations.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote