RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I have those and the one I installed does NOT work. Not sure what to do. Haven't been able to spend much time on the issue.....
Check the battery.. maybe not seated correctly.. maybe dead
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #22

Quote:
I have those and the one I installed does NOT work. Not sure what to do. Haven't been able to spend much time on the issue.....
The reviews on Amazon indicate that these units are poor quality. It's not your fault.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
I put a dimmer on mine as well for $2.29
Where did you buy yours?
Old 02-04-2019, 06:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Here's what I bought. $29.95. Comes in white, black or brown. Though you do need a neutral/ground.
Attachment 195870
Can you post the link to where you bought this please?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #25
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I've been wanting to put a dimmer on my awning LED light as well, although I was told that not all LED lights are dimmable.

Not sure if this is true...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #26
WV Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I've been wanting to put a dimmer on my awning LED light as well, although I was told that not all LED lights are dimmable.

Not sure if this is true...
I was worried abou this too. I have no reason to believe that the LED lights on my awning or inside my camper would be “dimmable” LEDs because they were not originally equipped to be dimmed.

After much reading, I think the technology (pulse width modulation, I think) of the switch in my original post, makes up for the fact that some are not dimmable. Not sure how it works, but it does. Many complained that they got flickering with certain dimmers when trying to dim non-dimmable LEDs.

This one worked fine. A little pricey, but the quality is great, and it works flawlessly. I risked it and gave it a try, and I am most happy with the results.
kraushad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraushad View Post
I was worried abou this too. I have no reason to believe that the LED lights on my awning or inside my camper would be “dimmable” LEDs because they were not originally equipped to be dimmed.

After much reading, I think the technology (pulse width modulation, I think) of the switch in my original post, makes up for the fact that some are not dimmable. Not sure how it works, but it does. Many complained that they got flickering with certain dimmers when trying to dim non-dimmable LEDs.

This one worked fine. A little pricey, but the quality is great, and it works flawlessly. I risked it and gave it a try, and I am most happy with the results.
Look at the LED strips. If they have small driver ICs soldered on the strip in multiple places, they may or may not work with a PWM dimmer. Those ICs are voltage regulators and may need a voltage over a certain level to operate.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Look at the LED strips. If they have small driver ICs soldered on the strip in multiple places, they may or may not work with a PWM dimmer. Those ICs are voltage regulators and may need a voltage over a certain level to operate.
Just saying, a PWM only send 12 volts and nothing less but in pulses so they should still work.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Just saying, a PWM only send 12 volts and nothing less but in pulses so they should still work.
Depends on if the driver circuits can withstand pulses. I would agree that most would work. Many driver ICs drive many LEDs in series and can tolerate a wide range of voltage input. However, they also try to regulate the current and if the average voltage is low enough that they can't regulate the current, you will get a flicker.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #30
Dahagen

Quote:
On mine, speed + and speed - at the same time resets the unit.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
On mine, speed + and speed - at the same time resets the unit.
Interesting....
Thank you.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #32
Seasoned Camper-MH newbie

I had the same brightness issue with my bed lamps.

Hiletgo 3pcs DC12-24V 8Amp... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073R7H52B...p_mob_ap_share

I removed the case and mounted as such:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	196160

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	196161
Old 02-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #33
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I also didn't like the brightness of the regular RV lamps that are in my 5'ver.

It seemed that no matter where you sat they were blindingly bright.

After trying to find frosted white lenses for them to no avail I finally bought some frosted spray paint to diffuse the brightness.

Cost me less than $5.00 bucks to do all of them.

Works great!

Plus, I found some lower wattage bulbs that fit my lights at Camping World for a couple that I just didn't need them very bright.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Depends on if the driver circuits can withstand pulses. I would agree that most would work. Many driver ICs drive many LEDs in series and can tolerate a wide range of voltage input. However, they also try to regulate the current and if the average voltage is low enough that they can't regulate the current, you will get a flicker.
Thanks for the knowledge
Old 02-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Hello all,

Recently I bought a Surveyor and noticed that both the interior and awning LEDs were bright enough to be unusable in certain situations, like night... when you need to use them.

The interior lights made watching TV at night painful, and the awning lights were bright enough that i felt they would be a nuisance to the next camper in closer quarters.

I read a lot online and found many who had suggestions with varying degrees of success. Thought I would share my success story.

Found a great dimmer on Amazon, and although not cheap ($30), it works PERFECTLY on both the interior and awning LEDS, and it is clean and simple looking. To be clear, I purchased two separate switches, one for each set of lights, and wired them inline with the existing factory switch. I mounted the rotary knobs above the existing panel by drilling two small holes in the paneling, and I think they look as good as they work. There is a simple install where you wire two wires to the load and one to the line, and as long as you get the polarity correct the dimmer functions perfectly. This switch even has a full off-click position, so it can be used exclusively to control the lights. I prefer to leave the dimmer on, and use the original switch to toggle on/off.

Here is a link to the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is rated for up to 4.2A of draw. I measured and the inside and outside leds were each drawing less than 2A so this switch worked great. Can't upload the video of them working, but here is a shot of the install. I purchased the "long shank" version, and the locking nut had plenty of room to secure it to the panel.

The switches are more expensive than most, but the company is VERY responsive online and claims to use a "true pulse width modulated" process which gives a full dimming capability and has no flickering. I can attest that it works well.

PIC OF INSTALL - KNOB ON LEFT IS FOR INTERIOR LIGHTS, KNOB ON RIGHT IS FOR AWNING LIGHTS:
Thanks for posting this thread! The small dimmer you used was the perfect solution for our roo's interior lights. I was able to mount it in one of the switch blanks and put it right where the original switch was. This is a high side switch/dimmer which means it just has to be wired inline on the positive lead (which is how the original on/off switch is connected) so no more difficult to install than replacing the original switch...and it works perfectly on the 8 led lights it controls in our camper. No buzzing or flickering that I could detect.

We also have a couple of lights in the bathroom that I'm going to use one of these on since there is plenty of room for the larger switch fixture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190209_162133.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	196440  
DawsonMobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Hello all,

Recently I bought a Surveyor and noticed that both the interior and awning LEDs were bright enough to be unusable in certain situations, like night... when you need to use them.

The interior lights made watching TV at night painful, and the awning lights were bright enough that i felt they would be a nuisance to the next camper in closer quarters.

I read a lot online and found many who had suggestions with varying degrees of success. Thought I would share my success story.

Found a great dimmer on Amazon, and although not cheap ($30), it works PERFECTLY on both the interior and awning LEDS, and it is clean and simple looking. To be clear, I purchased two separate switches, one for each set of lights, and wired them inline with the existing factory switch. I mounted the rotary knobs above the existing panel by drilling two small holes in the paneling, and I think they look as good as they work. There is a simple install where you wire two wires to the load and one to the line, and as long as you get the polarity correct the dimmer functions perfectly. This switch even has a full off-click position, so it can be used exclusively to control the lights. I prefer to leave the dimmer on, and use the original switch to toggle on/off.

Here is a link to the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is rated for up to 4.2A of draw. I measured and the inside and outside leds were each drawing less than 2A so this switch worked great. Can't upload the video of them working, but here is a shot of the install. I purchased the "long shank" version, and the locking nut had plenty of room to secure it to the panel.

The switches are more expensive than most, but the company is VERY responsive online and claims to use a "true pulse width modulated" process which gives a full dimming capability and has no flickering. I can attest that it works well.

PIC OF INSTALL - KNOB ON LEFT IS FOR INTERIOR LIGHTS, KNOB ON RIGHT IS FOR AWNING LIGHTS:
Thanks Kraushad! Finally got around to it on my Geo Pro. Works perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F06711DA-10AD-4F78-94B7-9C5A1DAC0B3A.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	203687  
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnweeze View Post
Thanks Kraushad! Finally got around to it on my Geo Pro. Works perfectly.

Does anyone have any pictures of how they are wired in?
Lazurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #38
WV Rambler

Glad it is working so well for everyone.

Sorry, I didn’t think to take any pics of the wiring, but I am not sure it would have helped much.... it was like a spaghetti pie behind that control panel.

Ours continue to work so well. My parents recently took out their coach for the first time. They have a catalina legacy edition with the blue leds where the awning meets the sidewall of the camper, and under the skirting. I’d been telling my dad to get a dimmer, but he didn’t listen. They went to flip them on the first night (we were camped next to them) and it looked like a rocket ship about to take off. We laughed so hard together.... needless to say, today my dad showed me the dimmer switch he installed!

kraushad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #39

Smile

Quote:
Glad it is working so well for everyone.

Sorry, I didn’t think to take any pics of the wiring, but I am not sure it would have helped much.... it was like a spaghetti pie behind that control panel.

Ours continue to work so well. My parents recently took out their coach for the first time. They have a catalina legacy edition with the blue leds where the awning meets the sidewall of the camper, and under the skirting. I’d been telling my dad to get a dimmer, but he didn’t listen. They went to flip them on the first night (we were camped next to them) and it looked like a rocket ship about to take off. We laughed so hard together.... needless to say, today my dad showed me the dimmer switch he installed!

Guess I will find out next week. I ordered 2 of those same dimmers last night.

I don't know whyt they have to put such bright lights in these campers. They must think we are all blind I guess.
Oh well, it all works out., It will be nice to have dimmer light.
Lazurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #40
Trailer Park Supervisor

Scott, that looks great! Looks like I will be doing this soon too. I usually just turn all press on/off individually, leaving the sink and/or range hood light on.

Tags
led