Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurus View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of how they are wired in?
Sorry. Should have known better. I’m guessing they’re all different, but on the GeoPro it was easy to tell the hot side of the switches since they were daisy chained together ( pink wire). It was just a matter of snipping the post switch wire (to the leds) and splicing in the dimmer as shown on the instructions, two wires on the hot side an one on the led side.
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #42
OYO

Thanks Dirk, just what i've been looking for.

No control panel on an A-frame, but the short shank fit into my existing LEDs (not OEM) perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_090958.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	204586  
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnweeze View Post
Thanks Kraushad! Finally got around to it on my Geo Pro. Works perfectly.
Thanks, just ordered one.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #44

I installed the dimmer from OP's post this past weekend to tone down the stadium LED lighting for the DW. There should be four (4) attachments. The ROO has the 12v power lead daisy chained with a pink wire like the GeoPro mentioned in another post. In my case the interior light rocker switch was at the end of the chain.

1. DISCONNECT BATTERY
  2. Take a deep breath, exhale, hold it then cut the wire.
  3. Wire in the dimmer switch, combine the red and white wires with the upstream-input-farthest from switch 12v lead. I used the wire nuts for clarity.
  4. Wire in the black wire to the 12v lead closest to the switch.
  5. Mount the switch in the place of your choosing.
  6. I chose the blank next to the slide out switch.
  7. Reconnect battery and test.
The interior lights dim to the desired level and can be turned off with the dimmer. No other circuits are affected. If your main light switch is not at the end of the daisy chain you will need to do some extra wiring. You may also choose to cut the rocker switch out of the circuit if you prefer that approach.
-utd-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190601_153648_copy.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	206350   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_153117.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	206351   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_154241.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	206352   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_161601.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	206353  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #45
Trailer Park Supervisor

So the rocker switch will continue to turn lights off/on when wired with the dimmer switch in this fashion?
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #46
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
So the rocker switch will continue to turn lights off/on when wired with the dimmer switch in this fashion?
Yes.But the dimmer switch must be on as well.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #47
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks. Ordering mine today. It will go on the tank heater blank spot.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #48
Trailer Park Supervisor

Install went great, so nice with the dimmer now. Great improvement. Thanks all of you!! I wired mine same as Scottnweeze to retain functionality of the rocker switch. Thanks for the call Scott!
Old 06-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthedog View Post
I installed the dimmer from OP's post this past weekend to tone down the stadium LED lighting for the DW. There should be four (4) attachments. The ROO has the 12v power lead daisy chained with a pink wire like the GeoPro mentioned in another post. In my case the interior light rocker switch was at the end of the chain.

1. DISCONNECT BATTERY
  2. Take a deep breath, exhale, hold it then cut the wire.
  3. Wire in the dimmer switch, combine the red and white wires with the upstream-input-farthest from switch 12v lead. I used the wire nuts for clarity.
  4. Wire in the black wire to the 12v lead closest to the switch.
  5. Mount the switch in the place of your choosing.
  6. I chose the blank next to the slide out switch.
  7. Reconnect battery and test.
The interior lights dim to the desired level and can be turned off with the dimmer. No other circuits are affected. If your main light switch is not at the end of the daisy chain you will need to do some extra wiring. You may also choose to cut the rocker switch out of the circuit if you prefer that approach.
-utd-

Can you explain a little further to someone who isn't that electrical savvy. How do you know what the upstream input is in relation to the switch and what is the 12v lead for the black wire? Also how do you know if you switch is not at the end?

I took my radio out to take a few pics. The wires on the right is my light switch.. I wasn't sure how to removed my panel. I wasn't comfortable prying on the bezel to see if it popped out. For my panel does the outer bezel pop off or the small square where the switches?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190607_195032.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	206668   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190607_195159.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	206669  
Old 06-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #50
Trailer Park Supervisor

I imagine that bezel pops off, otherwise there would no way to drive the screws in when they mounted it. I'd try gently prying along edge of it. As for the wires, in my case all the light switches had a pink wire daisy chained to the top terminals (12v in) of all the switches and the other wire on the bottom should be the 12v out going to the respective light(s). My wire out was white with a stripe. This is the wire I disconnected with the spade connector from the switch. Then cut it midway, stripped each end a half inch or so, then used the wire nuts included with the switch to twist the red and white wire on the dimmer with the section of the wire with spade connector that goes to the switch. Then twisted the black wire with the portion of wire going to the light. You'll be able to control the light with the dimmer (which has a 'click' to turn off completely, so technically you don't even need the rocker switch). But the rocker switch will have to be in the 'on' position for the dimmer to get power.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #51

Quote:
I imagine that bezel pops off, otherwise there would no way to drive the screws in when they mounted it. I'd try gently prying along edge of it. As for the wires, in my case all the light switches had a pink wire daisy chained to the top terminals (12v in) of all the switches and the other wire on the bottom should be the 12v out going to the respective light(s). My wire out was white with a stripe. This is the wire I disconnected with the spade connector from the switch. Then cut it midway, stripped each end a half inch or so, then used the wire nuts included with the switch to twist the red and white wire on the dimmer with the section of the wire with spade connector that goes to the switch. Then twisted the black wire with the portion of wire going to the light. You'll be able to control the light with the dimmer (which has a 'click' to turn off completely, so technically you don't even need the rocker switch). But the rocker switch will have to be in the 'on' position for the dimmer to get power.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #52

Thanks for posting. The one for our living room lights needs either cleaned or replaced. Nice to know where to get one that would work if I need to replace.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #53

Quote:
I imagine that bezel pops off, otherwise there would no way to drive the screws in when they mounted it. I'd try gently prying along edge of it.
I finally got that. I used a small knife to "break the seal" if you will, then was able to use a small flat head screw driver to work my way around. You can see from the pictures it just uses four friction snaps. Not something I'd want to do regularly.

Quote:
As for the wires, in my case all the light switches had a pink wire daisy chained to the top terminals (12v in) of all the switches and the other wire on the bottom should be the 12v out going to the respective light(s).
Looking at the picture where I'm holding my panel. As you see it my inside lights are on the left, scare light in the middle, and awning lights on the right.

So I have a white and green wire going from to top terminal of my inside lights to the scare light then another white and green wire going from the middle scare light to the awning lights on the right.

The bottom terminal of my inside lights on the left has an orange and white wire going back inside the wall. The bottom terminal of my scare lights in the middle has a white and purple wire going back inside the wall. Then the bottom terminal of my awning lights on the right has a green and white wire going back inside the wall.

Quote:
My wire out was white with a stripe.
So in my case is the out the green and white wire on the right (awning lights) going back in the wall?

Quote:
This is the wire I disconnected with the spade connector from the switch. Then cut it midway, stripped each end a half inch or so, then used the wire nuts included with the switch to twist the red and white wire on the dimmer with the section of the wire with spade connector that goes to the switch.

Again awning light wire?

Quote:
Then twisted the black wire with the portion of wire going to the light. You'll be able to control the light with the dimmer (which has a 'click' to turn off completely, so technically you don't even need the rocker switch). But the rocker switch will have to be in the 'on' position for the dimmer to get power.
Is this the orange white wire on the left (to my inside lights) going through the wall?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190608_112835.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	206729   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_112846.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	206730   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_113126.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	206731  
Old 06-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #54
Trailer Park Supervisor

See the way the top terminals on the switches are all tied together? That's the power going IN to the switch, leave those be. The wire coming out of the bottom of the switch goes to each respective light. So the orange and white wire is going OUT of the switch, that's the one you want to splice into. Red and white wires together with the orange and white wire on the switch end of the wire, black wire together with the end of the wire you cut going back into the wall. When wired that way, you will have to have the rocker switch in the ON position, then you can use the dimmer to dim or even turn off the lights.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #55
Trailer Park Supervisor

cut at least several inches from the spade connector, and use pliers or something to hold the wire when you strip it. I almost started pulling the crimped on spade connector off when I went to strip mine. Of course, pull the spade connector off the switch first.

Of course, make sure the rocker switch is off before you cut anything so nothing shorts out.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #56

I cut the pink wire 'in'. But then I've always followed a different drummer...
Old 06-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #57

Quote:
black wire together with the end of the wire you cut going back into the wall. When wired that way, you will have to have the rocker switch in the ON position, then you can use the dimmer to dim or even turn off the lights.
Ok. So which wire for the black going back into the wall? The red and white go to orange and white for the switch.

Thanks again
Old 06-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #58
Trailer Park Supervisor

Sorry for the confusion. Hope the phone call helped you out, typing it all out easy to make mistakes. For other readers, kantonburg's interior light is on the far right from front of panel, therefore he will be cutting the bottom wire on that switch, splicing the red and white on the dimmer with the wire coming out of the bottom of the switch, and black dimmer wire splice with end of wire going back into wall/cabinet which goes to the lights.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #59

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Hope the phone call helped you out, typing it all out easy to make mistakes. For other readers, kantonburg's interior light is on the far right from front of panel, therefore he will be cutting the bottom wire on that switch, splicing the red and white on the dimmer with the wire coming out of the bottom of the switch, and black dimmer wire splice with end of wire going back into wall/cabinet which goes to the lights.
It definitely did. Thank you for that. I'll be sure to post once I get the dimmer. It'll be after our trip this up coming week though.

Yes my interior lights are on the far right looking at the switches. Looking behind the panel it'll be wired as such.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190608_113126.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	206768  
Old 06-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #60
Trailer Park Supervisor

By George, I think you've got it! Nice little labels!

Tags
led