RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #61

I've tried a couple dimmers.

The remote control ones on Amazon.... Didn't work. Talked myself out of wanting them anyway, due to syncing remotes to units if power is lost. Plus, they didn't work.

More recently, I got these. Was quite excited because they disassemble easily and will fit. Hiletgo 3pcs DC12-24V 8Amp... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073R7H52B...p_mob_ap_share
But they don't work either. Reviews are good, though suspicious. It'll dim the pair of lights a tiny bit. When I only have one light, I can't see that it's dimming. It claims it goes down to 0v. wtf...

I don't want to spend $30 on a dimmer, plus it doesn't look as though it'd fit where I need it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldPE View Post
I had the same brightness issue with my bed lamps.

Hiletgo 3pcs DC12-24V 8Amp... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073R7H52B...p_mob_ap_share

I removed the case and mounted as such:

Attachment 196160

Attachment 196161
Missed this.
It works for you?
What is my problem, I wonder...?
Old 07-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #63

LED dimmer

Today I installed a dimmer that works very well with the LEDs.
I installed it to control the two LEDs over the bed.
Easy to install and full brightness control.
Good looking unit.

Hopefully this will help someone.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955195069.html

Marinus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190704_170616.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	208978  
Radar224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
What is my problem, I wonder...?
I figured out my problem and I love those little Hiltego dimmers. At $3.33 each they're a great deal (vs. that one for $30 ea., especially).

So, my problem was wiring assumptions. I tested one of these "on the bench" with a fixture I was cutting the wires on anyway. Worked fine. Eventually I figured out that the location I was trying to put one wasn't right. I assumed the switch was fed with 12v and went on to the light. I was wrong. The fixture had 12v and a "runner" was run to the switch (I wired my house lighting the same way).

So, with these little Hiltego dimmers, I just cut the 16ga wire that was the fixture wire. It fit in the terminals perfect. I had disassembled the dimmer and then mounted the knob in the ceiling/wall near-ish the fixture. Shoved the PCB up in the ceiling/wall. Worked great.

In this picture, I also added a 12v / USB outlets. I added my own switch to it, first.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #65
Seasoned Camper-MH newbie

Quote:
I figured out my problem and I love those little Hiltego dimmers. At $3.33 each they're a great deal (vs. that one for $30 ea., especially)....
..., I also added a 12v / USB outlets. I added my own switch to it, first.

Sorry I missed your post. Yes, mine still working great, and good to hear yours are as well. Great idea on the USB ports. I added to my todo list.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #66

Quote:
Sorry I missed your post. Yes, mine still working great, and good to hear yours are as well. Great idea on the USB ports. I added to my todo list.
I originally bought a pack of wireless ones. But I think the learning procedure (with multiples) would be impossible. These rock. Thanks for posting on them.

Mine could go dimmer, but that's a function of the fixture/LEDs....

I might put a wireless one on my scare light though. We'll see.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #67

Dimmer Works great

I agree, I put this on the panel on my G19FD, works great.
12 Volt DC Dimmer for LED, Halogen, Incandescent - RV, Auto, Truck, Marine, and Strip Lighting - LONG SHAFT - BLACK
by PCA Electronics

[QUOTE=kraushad;2016107]Hello all,

Here is a link to the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is rated for up to 4.2A of draw. I measured and the inside and outside leds were each drawing less than 2A so this switch worked great. Can't upload the video of them working, but here is a shot of the install. I purchased the "long shank" version, and the locking nut had plenty of room to secure it to the panel
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:23 AM   #68

[QUOTE=Treybecky;2137535]I agree, I put this on the panel on my G19FD, works great.
12 Volt DC Dimmer for LED, Halogen, Incandescent - RV, Auto, Truck, Marine, and Strip Lighting - LONG SHAFT - BLACK
by PCA Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraushad View Post
Hello all,

It is rated for up to 4.2A of draw. I measured and the inside and outside leds were each drawing less than 2A so this switch worked great. Can't upload the video of them working, but here is a shot of the install. I purchased the "long shank" version, and the locking nut had plenty of room to secure it to the panel
Thank you for the post and link. Installed it on the overly bright dinette light; I love it.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:53 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraushad View Post
Hello all,

Recently I bought a Surveyor and noticed that both the interior and awning LEDs were bright enough to be unusable in certain situations, like night... when you need to use them.

The interior lights made watching TV at night painful, and the awning lights were bright enough that i felt they would be a nuisance to the next camper in closer quarters.

I read a lot online and found many who had suggestions with varying degrees of success. Thought I would share my success story.

Found a great dimmer on Amazon, and although not cheap ($30), it works PERFECTLY on both the interior and awning LEDS, and it is clean and simple looking. To be clear, I purchased two separate switches, one for each set of lights, and wired them inline with the existing factory switch. I mounted the rotary knobs above the existing panel by drilling two small holes in the paneling, and I think they look as good as they work. There is a simple install where you wire two wires to the load and one to the line, and as long as you get the polarity correct the dimmer functions perfectly. This switch even has a full off-click position, so it can be used exclusively to control the lights. I prefer to leave the dimmer on, and use the original switch to toggle on/off.

It is rated for up to 4.2A of draw. I measured and the inside and outside leds were each drawing less than 2A so this switch worked great. Can't upload the video of them working, but here is a shot of the install. I purchased the "long shank" version, and the locking nut had plenty of room to secure it to the panel.

The switches are more expensive than most, but the company is VERY responsive online and claims to use a "true pulse width modulated" process which gives a full dimming capability and has no flickering. I can attest that it works well.

PIC OF INSTALL - KNOB ON LEFT IS FOR INTERIOR LIGHTS, KNOB ON RIGHT IS FOR AWNING LIGHTS:
Thanks for the write up. I did this to my living room LED's and the awning LED's.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #70
Seasoned Camper-MH newbie

Is that dimmer $30 each? I am installing at multiple locations , so $3 each is more practical for me. What benefit do you get from those?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #71

Quote:
Is that dimmer $30 each? I am installing at multiple locations , so $3 each is more practical for me. What benefit do you get from those?
They are but they are small and can fit anywhere. The other one I have I had to cut a light switch size hole to fit it. Not the best price but they fit where I needed them to and work unlike the wireless remote ones I've tried.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #72

Quote:
I put in 5 of the $3 ones. Work great. Just need a cavity to stow the PCB into. You'll have to decide that. At $30, it wasn't happening for me, either.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #73

Quote:
I put in 5 of the $3 ones. Work great. Just need a cavity to stow the PCB into. You'll have to decide that. At $30, it wasn't happening for me, either.
I spent the 29.95 for the PCAelectronics EPL101x.
Fit where the original on/off push
switch was; no additional component to wire in. As I get older, glaring lights are less tolerable.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #74

Hi folks, I ordered one of the dimmers too. (2020 FR 26MK). Had a little issue trying to figure out how to wire it in - was trying to go off the “main lights” switch also with no luck. Your all’s posts really helped me figure this out. I traced the orange and white striped wire back from the first light and the used the simple wiring diagram (white & red together to +12v, bk to light). Works great!! Thanks again for your great advice.
graua is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led